Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now STEM

on July 19, 2008
Going on Weight Watchers has its challenges. I have lost about 40 lbs to date and it has been good but I find that many of the products recommended by them have too much sugar. For example, everyone suggested Fiber One Bars as a snack because they are low in points. I noticed though that they spiked my blood sugar and stalled my weight loss. I switched to Extend Bars and boy, what a difference! I eat one of these every day, some times two. I really like them before bed or in the morning to help stabilize my blood sugar (I am hypoglycemic, pre-diabetic). I never have trouble eating breakfast now, these with a glass of skim milk or coffee and milk and a piece of fruit and I am good to go until lunch.

What is the difference between Extend Bars and the rest on the market? First, they are only a 150 calories with only 3 grams of fat but 11 grams of protein per bar. They also have 5 grams of fiber, just enough to help digestion, without causing stomach discomfort. (Something I can not say about some of the others on the market!)

I can not find another bar on the market to match those protein and fiber stats for the little calories and fat exchange. Also, the glycemic index is low because this bar contains a special slow digesting corn starch created from a corn grain that is different than the normal variety. It does not allow the blood sugar to spike, which can stall weight loss. This is the number one selling point for me, high protein and low glycemic...

Finally because I really believe we eat WAY too many processed carbs in our diet, this satisfied me in another area, it has a low net carb ratio, and does it WITHOUT the use of high levels of sugar alcohol. There are only 4 grams of sugar alcohol per bar, that is completely different than any other low carb bar on the market.

I really like the Chocolate and Peanut Butter, but not too wild about the berry and apple ones though. These taste exactly like the South Beach Cereal Bars, just less sweet. Give them a chance, they are not going to be as sweet as other things on the market...but they are great with coffee or milk...helps them not be too dry. Be sure to drink plenty of water as will any high fiber bar.
55 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2010
My 9-year-old daughter has Type 1 diabetes and we could not find a bedtime snack that stabilized her overnight blood sugar - until her diabetes educator recommended the Extend Bar. It REALLY does what it claims to do - stops blood sugar from going too low overnight. Now my daughter does not have to eat a glucose tablet in the middle of the night to keep from going too low. Her morning headaches and shakiness are gone! If her bedtime blood sugar is 120, her fasting blood sugar is usually around 100. The bars do not cause a sharp spike in blood sugar, just as advertized. Although they don't taste like real granola bars (not as sweet or moist), all the peanut and chocolate varieties are tasty enough to satisfy a picky 9-year-old. Thank you, Extend Bar!

UPDATE 04/25/2015:

My Type 1 diabetic daughter is now 14 and is still eating one Extend bar before bed. I am CERTAIN that Extend bars have helped stabilize her overnight blood sugar since she started eating them at age 9.

The varieties with NO sugar work the best at stabilizing the blood sugar of a Type 1 diabetic:

Rich Chocolate (formerly called Chocolate Delight)
Chocolate Peanut Butter (formerly called Chocolate Peanut Delight)
Peanut Butter (formerly called Peanut Delight)

My daughter tried these new varieties but did NOT like the taste. They contain NO sugar but do contain stevia:

Chocolate and Caramel
Cookies and Cream

These varieties contain 1 gram of sugar, so they might be acceptable for a Type 1 diabetic but are not as good as the sugar-free varieties:

Mixed Berry (Haven't tried).
Apple Cinnamon (No one liked the taste).

DON'T buy the "Crunch" varieties if you are diabetic! The "Crunch" varieties contain 30 carbs, 10 grams sugar (!), and 5 grams of sugar alcohol - and they caused my diabetic daughter's blood sugar to spike overnight. I don't understand why the manufacturer included so much sugar! These are a NOT a good choice for a Type 1 diabetic:

Chocolate Crunch
Peanut Butter Crunch
on December 28, 2007
These were recommended in the class I took when 1st Dxed with diabetes. They work well whenever you don't want to eat more (dieting), or when you won't eat for hours; that includes overnight to help avoid high sugar levels when you wake. In fact, they're very good at helping me get a full night's sleep, uninterrupted by waking up to eat a snack.
VINE VOICEon September 10, 2010
I am always looking for healthy snack foods. What I usually find are great tasting snacks that are too high in sugar, low in protein, and low in fiber. They are good for camping or taking long hikes, but not for a daily healthy snack.

ExtendBar Chocolate Delight meets my requirements. This snack has 12 g of protein, 0 sugar (4 g of "sugar alcohol"), and 0 cholesterol. "ExtendBar's" 20 g of carbohydrates is uncooked cornstarch, which is designed to be slowly processed in digestion.

The taste is not the best I have ever eaten, but it is palatable. It is not sweet, nor tart. It reminds me of dark chocolate, but certainly not milk chocolate. The bar's taste is more than acceptable.

The Extendbar Chocolate Delight is valuable. This is one of the best items for overall health that I have seen on the market. It is low in sodium and sugar (no high fructose corn syrup), and gluten free. On the other hand, high in protein (12g), good fiber (6 g), and sustained energy level. All this good nutrition and only 150 calories. .

The sustained energy level is real. I have tried this for awhile without blood sugar spikes and without low blood sugar (amazing how they do it, but they do). I highly recommend this product.
on August 8, 2008
I'm a group exercise instructor who suffers from frequent and severe low blood sugar. I've been through all sorts of different bars and these are hands down THE BEST. They taste great, have 6g of dietary fiber and 11g of protein, low in fat....chocolate tastes exactly like a Crunch bar.

I noticed a difference in my blood sugar stability the first morning I had one. I usually can't go without eating something for more than an hour and a half, but these carried me about 3 hours before I realized I needed to eat again. That says a LOT! I'm not even going to try the 9 hour claim it makes, but that's just me.

LOVE THEM and I'll cry if they ever discontinue them!!
on February 9, 2008
My husband is a diabetic, and reallly does like these bars. Imagine my surprise when I found out that Amazons price is lower then buying right from ExtendBar! The bars are great for controlling his blood sugar spikes and dips and I would recommend them. Just buy from Amazon and save$$!
The Extend "Chocolate Delight" bars are probably the best low carb snack bars I have tried since becoming diabetic. While the Atkins bars are generally very good, these taste even better and also do seem to control my blood sugar longer.

These bars have 150 Calories each, 12g of Protein, and only 1 Net Carb. The high protein load really helps to control my hunger, making this a great snack for mid-day munchies or after workout "pick me up", as well as a bed time snack.

One note of caution, these do have Maltitol which can cause "gastric distress" in some people.

Highly Recommended! I also like Extend Bar Peanut Butter Chocolate Delight, 15-Count, 21.16-Ounce Box

CFH
on March 15, 2013
Best protein fiber bars I've ever had. Don't bloat you, yet fill you up just enough to go for another couple hours (not in bed).

I've tried so many different protein bars and they all suck because they're packed with too many constipating ingredients. But these bars are beyond amazing.
on August 22, 2013
These bars (I much prefer either the chocolate or the chocolate with peanuts) have very low available carbohydrate - 1 gram. They carry you for several hours of no hunger and they definitely do not promote binges. I keep them in my purse for airplane flights and other times that a meal may be inappropriate or unaviilable.
on September 15, 2014
I purchased these bars for my husband who has type II diabetes. According to him they look, taste and chew just like a chocolate snack bar. His hunger is satisfied, he feels full for hours and his sugar levels are where they should be. It's a relief for me to have something readily available in my purse or in the car for him to help with his sugar highs and lows when we're out of the house. I highly recommend this product.