Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 76 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2009 5:51:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2009 4:20:56 PM PDT
Syzlec says:
Peter Jackson already confirmed this. I saw it first reported on www.thedigitalbits.com, and have since seen it in other places. So you can get the theatrical cuts now, or you can wait a couple of years for the EE's. Just please, please stop complaining. PJ and New Line (now only Warner Bros.) are being very up front about this. Just be happy we're getting these. Still no Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Spielberg (aside from CEOT3K), etc. Still, I'm waiting until the EE's come out in 2011 or 2012. The original EE's still look good upconverted on my PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2009 9:20:00 PM PDT
Joeomar says:
It just seems like a very odd move. It was understandable when they released the DVD Theatrical Edition first and then the Extended; that's a normal, if rather sleazy, way of getting people to buy it twice (I did myself). However, as others have pointed out, nearly all hardcore LOTR fans vastly prefer the EE. Unlike most EE versions of movies, the EE of LOTR didn't simply throw in more scenes, in many cases it fleshed out the story significantly. If you've gone to the expense of moving to Blu-Ray, you're probably a hardcore movie fan and likely already own the EE DVD. It may make sense to buy a Theatrical-version DVD and then an Extended, but to go from Theatrical to Extended and then BACK to Theatrical? What would we DO with the Theatrical version? Personally, I couldn't WATCH the Theatrical version after seeing the Extended; I'd MUCH rather watch the EE version even if it IS only on DVD. I love movies more than I love the video format.

Posted on Apr 21, 2009 6:56:59 AM PDT
Syzlec says:
Joeomar,
I completely agree with you on this. I'm tired of waiting for these ultimate super-duper scratch-and-sniff editions. LOTR is coming out with one. Lucas has promised us one with both trilogies. Enough is enough. We have all the extras on the original DVDs. I don't want to wait until Christmas 2011 for the LOTR EE films. What are you going to do though? Nothing...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2009 7:29:14 AM PDT
EB White says:
I agree, totally!
ronwats

Posted on Apr 25, 2009 10:18:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2009 10:19:40 PM PDT
You can "just be happy we're getting these". I'll wait for the Extended release because I'm not buying two different editions of the movie AGAIN.

Posted on Apr 26, 2009 10:38:35 AM PDT
Peter S. says:
grrr... Another 2 years wait for the Extended Edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2009 11:04:58 AM PDT
Syzlec says:
No way, brutha. I'm not buying these. I'll also wait for the EE's.

Posted on Apr 30, 2009 6:10:55 AM PDT
S. Rash says:
Quite frankly, my extended version standard DVD's look FANTASTIC when upscaled by my PS3. I can wait for the extended Blu-ray release as long as it takes.

Posted on Apr 30, 2009 6:53:39 AM PDT
J. Martinez says:
Yeah forget this version. I'm waiting for the Extended version on Blu. No sale!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2009 8:54:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2009 8:57:02 AM PDT
R. Ruben says:
I agree with that. In the two years time I'll need to wait for the EE BD's, I'll probably only watch the movies once or maybe twice. Even on a high-end theater, the DVD EE's look very good. Bottom line, I would rather watch the EE versions in DVD than the theatricals in BD. Best case, I may rent the theatrical Fellowship BD just out of curiousity, but no way I'm buying this theatrical set...

Posted on May 4, 2009 7:00:08 AM PDT
Ravenskya says:
Odd since the Hobbit is scheduled for release in 2012

Posted on May 4, 2009 12:42:20 PM PDT
Syzlec says:
The last thing I read said that Part 1 was coming out Christmas 2011 and Part 2 was Christmas 2012.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 2:31:22 PM PDT
Maybe you like being raped repeatedly by the same idiots. I do not.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 4:14:58 PM PDT
Syzlec says:
I actually don't like being raped by anyone, idiot or not. I'm not buying these either and will wait for the EE's.

Posted on May 8, 2009 1:10:38 AM PDT
fungo says:
I take it, then, that nobody has any problems at all paying a second or third time for the same content?? My, we're setting the bar pretty low, aren't we...

Personally, I'd like to see a discount on the Extended Blu-ray box for anyone with proof-of-purchase on the original ultra-expensive (and soon-to-be-worthless) DVD set. The costs of remastering are pretty trivial, spread over all the eager buyers out there, so we really should be paying mainly the cost of the new box and discs. But I'm not stingy; let 'em tack on a reasonable markup. About $20 for the set would be about right.

Naahh... what am I saying? Give me My Preciousss Blu-ray set!! Quickly, quickly!! Gollum, gollum...

Posted on May 14, 2009 6:57:08 AM PDT
Gonna wait for the blu ray EE too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 10:20:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2009 10:23:17 PM PDT
These's movie studios should be lined up and castrated for milking us on the DVDs and then they pull this crap by not releasing the extended cuts on Blu-ray from the go.

Posted on May 22, 2009 9:15:20 PM PDT
I'll just rent the Theatricals from netflix on BD mainly just to see if there will be any new content. I definitley won't purchase them unless somehow it ends up having both versions on this box set, which is highly unlikely.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2009 4:42:24 AM PDT
Not unless you came from the future. What world do they have these out on BD yet?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2009 5:14:56 AM PDT
The original Theatrical editions flow better, and have a carefully orchestrated rhythm that the Extended Editions lose. I love the EE extra material, but in some ways the original Theatrical release is more fun. It just "feels" better. There's an underlying rhythm that feels like it's own form of music. The pacing rises and falls as the story flows just like a symphony. EE is interesting, especially on repeated viewings where the first time emotional response is diluted, but make no mistake - Peter Jackson's Finished Masterpiece is the Theatrical release. That's WHY it was the version released in theaters.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2009 12:50:48 PM PDT
I completely agree with Jeffrey L. Hurst. I think that the general populous thinks that 'more footage(content) is better'... I disagree. I prefer the theatrical editions of LotR to the extended. I own both versions and agree that the extended is interesting and has some awesome scenes interjected (Saruman shooting a ball of flames at Gandalf) but that theatricals work better as films. I would also like to point out that the EE's are called the "Extended Editions".... not the "Director's Cut"... I believe that if PJ wanted to have that extra content in the theatrical version, it would have been released into theaters that way...

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion as well as having their own reason for like one over an other... I just wanted to tell Jeffery that I feel the same way.

I'm buying the Theatrical Edition Blu-Ray!!

Posted on May 26, 2009 8:45:24 PM PDT
That would be fine but, you know they'll release the extended editions a year later to milk more money. It's bad enough to milk you on the dvd versions now they have a whole new format to milk these movies.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 7:16:55 PM PDT
Glen R says:
So here you have it. Those who say they prefer the theatrical versions will happily buy them this year and those who prefer the extended will wait. I don't know what all the rip off whining is about. No one is holding a gun to my head forcing me to buy the theatrical. and my standard DVDs of the extended version haven't suddenly turned to crap or self destructed.

All this whining is a sad statement on some people's overblown sense of entitlement and desire for instant gratification.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 9:36:33 PM PDT
All this whining is over having to pay for the same movie 5 different times. Like they didn't make enough on these movies.

Posted on Jul 9, 2009 10:31:12 AM PDT
David Brown says:
Okay, then... I'll wait. It's not like I have 9 hours to spare every week anyhow!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  47
Total posts:  76
Initial post:  Apr 20, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Widescreen Edition)
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Widescreen Edition) by Viggo Mortensen (DVD - 2004)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (3,623)