Published on September 3, 2011 by testmaster

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good drive
I have owned this drive for approximately 6-12 months now... I can't really recall the exact timeframe. When I got it, it was the fastest external blu-ray drive out there.

Published 22 months ago by Muerte

5.0 out of 5 stars USB 3.0 is 2.5x faster than USB 2.0, plus technical specs provided by Asus, September 3, 2011
testmaster (Nashua, NH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Burner with USB 3.0 BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS, Black (Personal Computers)
I ran one experiment to confirm that USB 3.0 really is about 2.5x faster (as some web sites claim) to burn Blu-ray Discs (BD-R) than USB 2.0 (ie. the USB channel is the bottleneck, not the disk or cpu speed). Using an ASUS laptop with an i7 cpu, a USB 3.0 port and 4GB memory, I backed up 22.3 GB of data (5,339 files) to a BD-R at 12x maximum write speed using the included ASUS/Cyberlink Media Suite program Power2Go 7. It took 01:00 minute for Power2Go to "prepare" the data for writing (these times are not rounded off, though they coincidentally look like they are).

Actual write time to write 22.3GB to BD-R(SL) at 12x:
-- USB 3.0 : 11:00 minutes -- 2.0 GB/min or 120 GB/hr
-- USB 2.0 : 30:30 minutes -- 0.73 GB/min or 44 GB/hr
For this experiment, USB 3.0 wrote data 2.7x faster than USB 2.0.

For another experiment, the measured write speed for a BD-R(DL) disc was 90 GB/hr (38.0GB at 8x).

Using this BD writer, so far I have written 7 BD-R(DL) disks at the max 8x and 4 BD-R disks at the max 12x speed without any problems, even though BD-R(SL/DL) Verbatim media is only rated for 6x speed. I also confirmed the 16x write speed to DVD+R media.

Currently Verbatim 25GB BD-R discs cost about $2/disc (getting close to the price per GB of DVD discs!) and 50GB discs are about $7/disc. Prices will continue to fall.

===============
Summary of hardware:
-- this Blu-Ray Writer (Burner) is among the fastest available at this time
-- USB 3.0 currently distinguishes this product from its competition
-- writes DVDs and CDs like other BD writers
-- ASUS is an excellent leading-edge brand
-- Software [Windows-only]:
----- free Cyberlink Media Suite, which contains minimal-feature versions of these programs (until you upgrade to paid versions):
Cyberlink Power2Go 7
Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 with Magic Cinema
Cyberlink PowerBackup 2.5
Cyberlink InstantBurn 5
-- I discovered a hard-to-see On/Off switch (doesn't exist for DVD writers) on the back when it didn't appear to work :-)
-- Color: Black
-- Length: 9.5"
-- Width: 6.5"
-- Height: 2.4"
-- Weight: 2.5 lbs.

==========
Software notes:

-- This hardware is great. But the included Power2Go software has some problems -- 1 fatal error and 2 other serious bugs were found on day 1 of use. I recommend the really free ImgBurn software (no annoying paid-upgrade notices) which is a pleasure to use, is continuously being improved (unlike Power2Go, which is at end-of-life), and has an active and easily used forum site. Plus it works on Ubuntu linux.

-- None of the 4 programs I tried (Power2Go, ImgBurn, Blu-ray Creator, Windows cut-and-paste) were able to successfully backup all files from my in-use C: drive without fatal errors and early exit (update: FBackup uses VSS and can do it). Even when files in use are set to be ignored by ImgBurn, it and the other programs still fail on files with no eof (Kaspersky and Windows has such files). That is because these low-end programs do not use the Windows-builtin feature of a Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) which would solve in-use, file-locking and file-eof issues neatly. One way to accomplish backing up all C: files is to first copy the C: partition to a new partition (eg. using a hard disk manager program) and then to backup the new not-in-use partition files using a program such as ImgBurn.

-- Install "Cyberlink Media Suite" from the included disk by clicking on the picture with the burning CD (hover over it to see "Power2Go 7"). At this time (9/24/11) there is no firmware update, so the bottom icon does not currently lead to an available download.

-- If it bothers you, turn off the always-on-top InstantBurn software:
---- on Windows 7 accomplish this by:
------ goto Control Panel->System->Administrative Tools->System Configuration
------ or navigate to [...]
-------- click Startup tab
-------- uncheck InstantBurn
-------- click Apply, then OK
-- To exit InstantBurn, either reboot (after disabling it from auto-start as described above) or Rclick on InstantBurn in the System Tray and click Exit.

-- The included software has only minimal features and has many problems that may make it unusable for your purposes. You have to pay to upgrade any of the 4 component programs to get all features.

===================
More hardware details follow:
(Technical specs provided by Asus on the product box and on other web sites)

Asus BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS External 12x Blu-Ray Burner [2x - 12x depending on BlurayDisc (BD) type]

The Asus BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS External 12x Blu-Ray Burner offers extreme 12x Blu-ray writing speed with USB 3.0. The stylish appearance and functionality of the Asus BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS External 12x Blu-Ray Burner provides consumers with an ideal choice for both business and entertainment. The Asus BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS External 12x Blu-Ray Burner supports the latest Blu-ray 3D technology for life-like movie experiences with Cyberlink PowerDVD 10. This unique space-saving design can be placed either horizontally [without a stand] or vertically with a detachable stand.

Specifications

Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 with Magic Cinema
Cyberlink PowerBackup 2.5
Cyberlink InstantBurn 5

Features

Eye-popping Blu-ray 3D Visual Excitement: Supports the latest Blu-ray 3D technology for life-like movie experiences with Cyberlink PowerDVD 10. Features technology to give depth to 2D video with real-time 2D-to-3D conversion with a single click of a button.
Refresh Your Listening Experience: Experience crisp audio with lossless pass-through for Dolby Digital EX and DTS-HD (5.1 channels).
Diamond-shaped Design and Flexible Dual Positioning: This unique space-saving design can be placed either horizontally [without a stand] or vertically with a detachable stand.
Experience Blu-ray Entertainment So True to Life: Asus provides HD-like visuals via an innovative suite of advanced video enhancement technologies that deliver unsurpassed quality in DVD movies easily and flexibly.
===============

6/4/13 update: I have finally uninstalled and removed all traces of the Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 Ultra that I had bought and the associated Cyberlink programs since they were unbearably bad in many ways and didn't play modern Blu-Ray like Game of Thrones. I am now using DVDFab Media Player ($40 to buy, $10/year after that -- suggest you try trial version before buying -- note you will have to allow your firewall to connect to the server in China to use this software -- I got a helpful dialog popup from my Kaspersky antivirus asking if I trusted the Chinese server (which I do just for this one product, but you may not)) which works very well though I need to do Settings->Play->Playmode "Quick and Simple". AnyDVD does not work for me at all to play the Blu-Ray Game of Thrones. I have been using free FBackup4 (after rejecting half a dozen other popular programs such as Areca which is my second choice), an excellent and free solution to do mirror incremental backups on schedule. I burn data to DVD or Blu-Ray using the excellent free ImgBurn (and write at 12x speed to this ASUS BD writer). My needs are simple and Cyberlink did not satisfy any of them without enduring endless grief. I am purchasing another of this same ASUS BD writer for another PC, but will not waste time installing any Cyberlink software. Instead I will use software that works well and is easy to use and is almost all free.

6/5/13 update: I have looked at the one star reviews and sympathize with your problems with USB 3.0 Windows drivers (which are definitely not the fault of this product). I suffered also from random USB 3.0 connection problems and read-write errors and bootup hangs for a very long time (since I was unfortunately on the leading edge of using USB 3.0 with my 2010 ASUS laptop). Finally I got smart and updated my USB 3.0 Host Controller Windows drivers and *all* the random problems with USB 3.0 disappeared! BTW, even though it is not free I highly recommend "Driver Reviver" as an easy way to quickly update all your Windows drivers, including the crucial USB 3.0 drivers (in particular the Host Controller drivers). You don't really need to use it more than once to solve all your USB 3.0 issues (so you don't need to renew it each year). Of course you can spend hours trying to find those same crucial driver updates on the web (I did that too, prior to Driver Reviver).
Anyway, for anyone who wants to blame this *hardware* for your USB 3.0 software *driver* bugs, please see my post (Subject: "Partial workarounds in a nutshell ..." -- I should have said "Full workarounds ...") for the product "J-Tech Digital SuperSpeed USB 3.0 4-Port Hub Backward Compatible with USB 2.0 with USB 3.0 Cable". If you look at reviews for popular USB 3.0 hubs, you will also see a lot of false blame laid on the hardware when in fact the software drivers are almost always at fault when the hardware appears to only work sporadically.

I totally agree that the bundled software with this ASUS BD writer is horrible in many respects and you should avoid using it if possible (see above for 6/4/13 update which mentions some reliable alternatives, in particular ImgBurn for writing BD-R discs). I also agree that ASUS has effectively zero customer support -- do not waste your time as I did trying to get any intelligent response out of them (prior to my proof that the Windows USB 3.0 drivers were the source of my problems). This ASUS BD writer has excellent performance and the problems you may have are almost certainly either due to your bad USB 3.0 drivers which need updating or to the miserable Cyberlink software included with this hardware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Results with Lenovo Laptop, December 13, 2011
D Jones "DP Jones" (Alexandria, VA, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Very good performance and easy installation. Looks sleek with its glossy black enclosure. USB 3.0 is a clear advantage for blu-ray disk burning. However, some enclosure design aspects detract from ease of use.

Bought this to use with a Lenovo W520 laptop workstation running Windows 7.0 Pro. I do HD video encoding and need a reliable external blu-ray burner with USB 3.0 for video disk production. For years I used non blu-ray LG burners with excellent results. LG's blu-ray burner is still USB 2.0 or I might have considered it.

This burner has a power adapter and USB 3.0 port on the back along with a power switch. It's packaged with a USB 3.0 cable, power adapter, and useful but limited set of Cyberlink software. Cyberlink offers a discount upgrade to their full software suite. I find the provided Cyberlink software right for my needs.

Installation was easy. My laptop recognized both the burner and its USB 3.0 connection. Cyberlink software installed without issue. Blank blu-ray DVD disks are more expensive than regular blank DVDs so disk burn reliability is a high priority. I've burned twenty blu-ray video DVDs using ProShow Producer and other video encoding software. All disks were produced quickly without errors. These work perfectly in both Sony and Sharp Blu-ray players.

There are three enclosure design aspects I don't like. They don't affect disk burning performance and are clearly subjective. First, the top of the player is not flat so I can't stack two of these like I do my bricklike LG burners. Second, the triangular blue LED light on top is very bright and distracting. I can tape over it but I'd prefer it be switchable. Third, the door opening switch is a long thin vertical plastic push contraption on the right side of the player. It lacks positive activation feedback. It is the same glossy black color of the case, is not easy to recognize, and requires a bit of fiddling to operate. It can take a few pushes to open the fold down door panel which allows the tray to slide out. I must take care when pushing this to avoid interference with the door panel opening function. This is overly complex, gimicky, and likely to be a failure point. Why not a simple highly visible pushbutton providing positive activation feedback with a simple slide out tray? Clearly, the designers overruled the engineers on this one.

In summary, if you need an external Blu-ray burner with fast USB 3.0 performance and require software to operate it, this may be the right choice. I prefer function over beauty regarding enclosures so I ding it a star, subjectively, in this department.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, poor included software, January 14, 2012
I purchased this due to the combination of great price, USB 3.0, and 12X burning support, which is apparently hard to find with an external drive. The ASUS name was a selling point as well, as I've used ASUS motherboards and other products for years. That and free shipping with Amazon Prime. The drive arrived within the 2-day window, as expected with Amazon Prime. (well worth it in my opinion)

I was pleased with the design and performance of the drive. You can use it vertically with the included base, which fits securely, or horizontally without the base. The included power supply is compact and has a nice long cord. A USB 3.0 cable is included. The sliding power switch on the back of the drive is a nice touch, though it could be implemented a little better. I backed up most of my system to BD-R the same night I got it using a freeware utility I like, called "Imgburn" The drive flawlessly wrote each disc at the maximum speed available for the type of discs I bought. Everything verified successfully.

I would have given this 5 stars if the included software wasn't so poor. Naturally with your expensive purchase a full version of the software isn't included either. I declined installing the full 'suite' that came with it, as I don't like a lot of useless bloat on my PC, choosing only to install the "PowerDVD" software for playing BD discs. Pitifully, Windows 7 doesn't have native support for playing BD discs without jumping through hoops. Pretty much history repeating itself in the same fashion as when standard DVDs became the rage and Windows wouldn't play those either.

The PowerDVD software did manage to play one of my older BD discs with no problem, but when I tried to use it to play one of the newer discs in the Harry Potter box set, it first crashed several times, then necessitated a reinstall to work at all. Naturally it pesters you to pay for an upgrade. I managed to get it to play by choosing not to enable its "mouse support solution" Pathetic though. What an annoyance just to play a disc. Another annoyance is the backward-looking requirement of choosing a region code when setting up the drive. (you can then change it 4 more times if necessary)

I look forward to the next year or so when freeware solutions like VLC Media player will likely fully support BD media and decryption. The industry is so paranoid about protecting content that they crap all over the consumer and discourage fair use. Because some people engage in naughty behavior, we all suffer with their cumbersome 'solutions' And yet it will always be possible for the determined to copy and distribute illegal content, it's just the rest of us that are forced to endure the industry's draconian measures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus External Disk Drive, September 28, 2011
I bought this based on the excellent trade magazine expert reviews, primarily to use as backing up bluray & dvd movies onto my laptop hard drive to watch later as I travel a lot. I own the hp DV6 laptop available from Best Buy right now. The built in drive on the laptop isnt all that fast, but this Asus, with its included USB 3.0 cable, is insanely fast at ripping DVDs! And burning them.back to disk, too. Finding blank bluray media is still a challenge locally, dont know how well it burns blurays yet, but it does take a LONG time to rip a full bluray to HDD. Count on an hour or two, maybe more! I havent had occasion to use all the included software, but the installation is quick & easy.
Im very happy with this unit, integrates well wiith Windows 7& my laptop. Burns DVD disk movie only copies in about 15 minutes. DL DVD full movies in about 20+ minutes with all menus & special features. Would definitely recommend & buy again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good drive, January 8, 2013

Out of 20 burned Blu-Ray's I have made about 5 coasters, and only using Nero. That's always sad, but you can never tell if it is the software, the drive's, or the disc's fault. It burns reasonably fast on 4X media. I have not tried faster media such as 6x. All of the discs I have used are 25GB discs, no 50GB.

When burning DVD's I can give reliable speed comparison to my internal DVD burner. A 4GB disc burns on the internal drive in just under 5 minutes. On this drive, it burns in 5 and a half minutes. So there is some performance degradation from the USB 3.0 interface. I am using the fastest possible IVY Bridge processor, lots of memory.

Overall, I am pleased with the drive and would purchase it again. I initially had some strange USB 3.0 disconnect problems but these went away with a newer motherboard. It's been rock solid ever since.

Cons: The biggest con associated with this drive was the USB 3.0 cable which shipped with it was defective. It would only connect at USB 2.0. I had to buy a new one at Fry's Electronics and it instantly fixed the issue. Bad quality control. I didn't mind paying the $5.00, but obviously if you had to buy a new cable at Best Buy for $20, you might be a little upset about having to do so. I personally wasn't going to RMA a drive over a bad cable and go through that nightmare of returning and reordering or cross shipping, etc... So, if you buy one of these and it only connects at USB 2.0, now you know you will just have to buy a better cable. They are pretty cheap now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardware performs while software/firmware need refinement., July 21, 2012
I have burned two 25GB Blu-ray discs with the USB 3.0 Asus BW-12D1S-U on a Thunderbolt capable 15.4" MacBook Pro Retina. Using this configuration to backup from a 6TB Western Digital Thunderbolt drive, I can burn a 25GB BD in about 10 min. Only hangup is using Toast 11 Titanium the drive will hang at 99%. Disabling "write verfication" doesn't resolve this issue, but killing the burn at 99% leaves a validly burned and readable disc. I plan to test this more with the 50GB discs in a few minutes. The Asus software is pretty horrid though and only supports Windows. So if you want to update the firmware when/if Asus releases a firmware update you have to have a Windows box, which I tested on my sons computer and Asus still had no firmware updates available. Apple should have a Blu-ray solution included, but until they do we the consumer have to jump through hoops like this so I guess I can't complain. It's less work than using a Linux box and more reliable and less annoying than using a Windows box. All things considered, until a Thunderbolt Blu-ray solution arises this is as good or equivalent than any other USB 3.0 or SATA solution on the market currently--read, good, but can be better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rebate process broken, firmware update defective, customer support C- avoid the trouble, February 6, 2013
Asus failed to properly scan the submitted printed Amazon invoice - they scanned garbage and refused my rebate. Asus emailed with instructions to USPS the forms to their San Diego rebates office - so I send 3 copies of all requested information. As expected ASUS never responded. Oh well it was only 20 bucks.
However, as others have reported the drive installation is very troublesome. The firmware update failed every time freezing and or hanging at the ASUS web site. The bundled SW is boatware and junk. There are far better Blu Ray applications.

After additional research, I have come to the conclusion that ASUS manufactures decent products - but Asus customer service and support is terrible. If you purchase ASUS you are gambling. Its not that ASUS doesn't care - any company would care about their customers. But ASUS customer support is inept and unable to execute.

[...]
[...]

Poor customer service turns a good product into a doorstop and a pain in the ass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on OSX, High Speed CD Ripping, February 1, 2014
Xmarc999 (Half Moon Bay, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I actually bought this for ripping, as it uses USB3 and is quite quick internally. The blu-ray is a bonus as I don't use that side of it much. Many CD readers are quite slow, and may hit 20X tops. This reader seems to take a couple tracks to get up to speed, but still gets to 39X, making it nearly twice as fast as, for example, the Apple SuperDrive, for about 30% more money. Definitely not as sleek as the SuperDrive, and may be more suited for home use rather than travel.
The included software seems strictly for Windows, but my iMac instantly recognized the device (even listing the model number), and I have had no issues using it. The box does not mention Mac, only Windows, but I assure you it works smoothly.
I haven't burned/ripped enough DVDs to comment yet, but will update when I have a little more experience. Highly recommend if you are looking for fast.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor quality product, July 29, 2012
I bought this one new through Amazon, and it worked only for about 5-6 times using Power2Go. After that it stopped working and displayed "unknown error". I went through the RMA process, and got a new one after 1 month. Unfortunately this second also worked for about 5-6 times, and gave the same "unknown error" again. I went through the RMA process again and they sent the 3rd one, but their label says that it is a rebuilt one using refurbished parts with only a 90 days warranty which is quite unfair, considering all the troubles I had with it. I would not recommend anyone to buy this BD burner model from ASUS.

5.0 out of 5 stars USB 3 is a huge difference!, February 8, 2014
DenDen "Dennis" (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - See all my reviews
If you're thinking of getting an external and have USB 3.0 on your computer, get this one! It's a little bulky, so I don't use it for travel. I've been a huge ASUS fan since the early 90's, great quality products! Purchased this for a video editing rig. Works like a charm. (I have my own software, PowerDirector 12 Ultimate, so I don't need any, but the software that comes with the drive is useless bloatware.) Works great in Windows 8.1!

Out of the box, it will burn data disks without any software.