5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable and works like a charm
Published on February 24, 2010 by Drew D. Jordan

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk
Published on October 13, 2010 by itssortalegal10

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable and works like a charm, February 24, 2010
This review is from: USB 2.0 Slim External DVD ROM CD-RW Combo Drive Writer (Personal Computers)
Just got this puppy and am very happy with it. It's so small but does so much. I plugged it into an older PC and it "plugged and played" right of the bat (I run WindowsXP Pro). Also it is very fast, faster than the CD-RW in my Sony Viao. With the right CD burning software I used it to burn a folder of 50 MP3s onto a CD-RW disk and it was very quick! Even though my older PC has USB 1.0 it was still fast.

My only negative is that it comes with two USB cords, one for data and one for power. I only have four USB ports so I have to do some wire switching to use it, then switch back.

I really appreciate a product that works right out of the box!

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug it 2X !, May 14, 2010
* Driver installation not needed. I have a GateWay running Windows XP and a Dell on Vista, both of which recognized this burner instantly.

* Power supply not necessary, but do keep in mind that you must use 2 USB cables for this device to work properly. One cable is dedicated for power, the other cable for data. So in a way, it's not truly "plug and play". More like plug-plug-play. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works With A Mac, May 27, 2010
I have a macbook from 2006 with Leopard OS and works great. You don't even need to install any drivers, just plug it in and go! You need to use 2 USB ports at the same time however, one for power and one for regular use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, October 13, 2010
If you have Windows 7 do not buy this..This much like many other games, programs, hardware and such does not work..It half a@@ed played a dvd..The installation cd did not work inside the player at all just kept giving me an error... finally got it to install quake four then played a bit and closed the game then black screen appeared and when I restarted Windows it had chosen to ignore this player due to errors.. Can not seem to find the drivers for this giant waste of money anywhere because there is no manufacturer name anywhere on anything that came in the package..

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Used it once, never worked again, May 15, 2010
S. Hamrick (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I used this drive once, and it worked fine. After that, power goes to the device like it's supposed to, and the drive will open and close, but nothing happens. The computer recognizes that there's a drive plugged in, but it spins for a few moments, stops, and makes the noise like it's been unplugged. And since I was an idiot and threw out the packaging after making sure it worked initially, I'm out of luck and can't send it back. I wouldn't recommend this item at all. I feel like I wasted the money on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, April 18, 2010
Product did not install on new ASUS laptop. Running 64 bit W7, windows did not see the device. This item is not sold as an OEM-type product, but there was no documentation or support available. All text files on included CD were in an Asian font. After several hours gave up trying to find drivers or install.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!!!, July 2, 2010
This DVD drive arrived in a thin piece of cardboard (similar to what books are delivered in). NO box. NO padding or protection whatsoever.
It was in a plastic ziplock bag. Also, don't expect a "brand new" drive. What I received is clearly a generic used or refurbished DVD drive. The outside casing is gouged and scratched and looks YEARS old. The parts inside the tray looked scratched and used as well. Unless my order was an anomaly, this company is apparently trying to pass off used or refurbed gear as new. If that bothers you....stay away from this. I'm sending this scratched up thing back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, March 2, 2010
This product is great to use with your netbook or with your home system. Easy to install and works great! The only drawback is that it take 2 USB plugs to power and run.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken product....and I have to pay for the postage so it can be refunded., September 11, 2010
I received my dvd drive and realize it was broken after installation. I emailed the company and it took them awhile to agree on giving me a refund after much persuasion for a replacement. they send me the RMA only then i realize i was ask to pay for the postage for a broken dvd drive that i did not get a chance to use. It was not my fault that it was broken yet i was ask to pay for it to go back. I'm very disappointed with my experience and will not recommend anyone to buy any products from this company. Also the dvd drive came and was made in china it probably cost less than 10RMB(less than 2 USD) in China. It felt like i was being scammed. If i could give it a 0 out of 5 star i would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works good, April 15, 2010
This item is truly plug and play. I connected it to an old Windows me laptop and a Mac OS X machine both were able to use it with no problems.