Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

• Customer Reviews

on August 20, 2012
This came a week earlier than I expected it, and I'm extremely satisfied with the product. It's very durable, and I love the grips on the bottom to keep it from slipping. It comes with 2 USB cords, 1 for power and 1 for it to function. They're both pretty short, which is great because it reduces clutter. I run Windows 7 on a notebook made my HP. Immediately after plugging it in, my computer read and installed the driver software. The whole process was extremely quick and easy. I needed this for school and didn't want to pay $50 or more, and this was definitely the perfect product for me!
33 comments90 of 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2011
Very simple to use. just pop it in and connect the plug and snap it shut! there are 2 screw holes in the back which may or may not line up with the holes in your particular optical drive. I just want to make a few points for people using this for the superdrive on a macbook pro 2011. 1: you need to take off the little metal bracket on the back of the superdrive in order for it to fit. (you could use that bracket to secure your optibay to your macbook on the generic ones that dont come with a way to secure it) 2: One of the screwholes on the back will line up with the screwhole on the back of the superdrive, I used that to secure the suprdrive to the case and ensure that the SATA connection wont become loose over time. 3: As mentioned there is no front bezel to cover the opening to the superdrive. While this is merely cosmetic, there might be a problem if dust gets inside. I would recommend storing it in some kind of case or plastic ziploc bag when not in use, to protect it from dust. 4: There is one big issue that is not related to this product specificly but it needs to be mentioned. On a Macbook the MAC DVD player will not recognize ANY DVD while using an external usb connected optical drive (not just this one BUT ANY! external optical drive) It will still work for cd/dvd software so you can install any programs you might need but DVDs will NOT work with the MAC DVD player. I found this out the hard way! After doing research I found that the VLC player WILL recognize a DVD from an external optical drive. Therefore the following must be done in order to play a DVD from an external optical drive on a MAC. 1: Download VLC player (its free) 2: go to system preference /under hardware select CD's&DVD's/click on it and you will see the choice "when I insert a video DVD" and a drop down menu that says "open DVD player" click on the drop down menu and select "open other application" find VLC player and select it! now that will be your default DVD player and it will work! I just wanted to post this because Its a big issue with the macs and nobody mentioned it. Just wanted to add. As far as the dust getting in from the open front, I found a felt bag with a drawstring that fits perfectly on a certain famous auction website for about 3 bucks!
66 comments47 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2013
Got a new computer and didn't realize it was missing a CD drive. They apparently don't put those on all computers now. Go this device and it plugs and plays very well even works with Windows 8.
22 comments44 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2012
This is a nice product.Does exactly what its supposed to.The price is right and the speed of the burner is pretty comparible to more expensive burners i've used in the past
0Comment55 of 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2012
The burner was initially plugged into a hub. It did not work. Upon plugging into port directly, it worked perfect.

Great price and fast shipping. I am completely satisfied with DVD burner.
55 comments62 of 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2013
If you have Windows 7 or 8 this item is plug & play. No need to install the accompanying drivers. I have not had any problems with this device yet. I would recommend it for the price, it is hard to beat. It shipped before the expected delivery date too, so that is another plus!!!!!
0Comment27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2013
I got this because my laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD Rom because its too small.I received this in the mail today and as soon as I got it open I plugged it in. I inserted a Cd to put into my itunes library and it worked perfectly. It does play CDs but when I tried putting in a DVD it didn't work at all. I tried putting in several other dvds but none of them worked. I tried downloading a codec pack from online but even after that it didn't work.I tried so many things and nothing. I don't know if it's because I have Windows 8 and maybe its not compatible with it. Really bummed about this but other than that it works great for CDs. I haven't tried the burner yet but i'm suspecting that it wont work to burn DVDs either. So if you are looking for it to play DVDs don't get this if you have windows 8 and if you're just looking for something to play CDs go for it.
1010 comments62 of 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2014
This item does not work for a computer with Windows 8. I have searched everywhere for the necessary software/driver with no luck.
33 comments50 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2014
I received this item today, which was the promised delivery date. I noticed that in the product views (and in some of the reviews) a mini installation disk is mentioned. A lot of the other reviews stated this item was plug and play, so I wasn't too worried about it. I use Windows 7 on my desktop.

I plugged the CD drive into my desktop and received an error message that the drivers did not load properly. I checked the Device Manager and the CD drive was there, but it wouldn't work. I plugged the drive into my Acer One Windows 7 netbook and was told that the drivers had been loaded successfully. All well and good. I switched to Windows Media Player on the netbook and WMP wasn't having any of it. It refused to recognize the device.

Less than 20 minutes ago I emailed Amazon Customer Service and explained the problem. I stated that I wanted a refund if the seller would not or could not provide the installation cd, because without that this device was a glorified paperweight.

Ten minutes ago I received an email from an Amazon CSR stating that they could not replace items sold by "DAZZLEWER LLC" because their inventory is constantly changing. The CSR stated that I would receive the refund instead and also added that I did not have to return the item, that I could donate it or dispose of it at my convenience.

Needless to say, I'm pretty surprised and pleased by this turn of events. I'm posting this to let people know what happened when I received this item. Let the buyer beware.

A big thumbs up to Amazon Customer Service.
on August 8, 2010
I removed my optical drive in my Mid 2010 MBP for a second HD,
but I still wanted to use my optical drive when needed
so I looked for an enclosure to work with.
I searched long and hard for a good optical drive
but cheap.

I finally decided on this
and to my surprise,
it works perfectly.

The enclosure may be a "little" bigger than the MBP internal optical drive
but there's solution to work around it.
What I did was stuff anti-static covers to stabilize the optical drive.
To me,
it works
as it helps stabilize the drive,
provide anti-static protection against the drive
and it also looks "cool"

(The item comes with two usb cords,
one to connect the dvd drive
and the other to power the drive.
What I've found out is that the connecting usb drive alone
is enough power to power the entire dvd drive.
No need for the second "power" usb.)

All in all,