on December 4, 2012
Color Name: White/SliverVerified Purchase
I've had such positive experiences with the DX-1700 by uNu that when I saw the DX Plus I knew I had to get my hands on it and see for myself if the DX Plus is a worthy successor. Dissatisfied by the majority of existing reviews on the DX Plus, I decided to create something that would give the average consumer, like me, a glimpse of the product before committing to a purchase.

As a consultant, I run a hectic schedule that demands mobility and flexibility. Being on a conference call for an hour while driving or working at a client site can be taxing on my iPhone's battery, which initially led me to look for a viable solution to additional battery power. Enter the DX Plus.

The Good:
1. Competitively priced with a great balance of quality and reliability.
2. The DX Plus echoes the aesthetics of the iPhone's design, especially the glossy white and silver trim. And speaking of design, the battery case feels like a cohesive unit. No clumsy wires or additional cables to carry around.
3. It works, and then some. I can go an entire day without plugging in my phone to a wall charger, and that includes web surfing, sending/reading emails, and running various apps.

The Bad:
1. The DX Plus will add some considerable bulk to your slim iPhone.
2. The DX Plus adds extra weight.

Bottom-line:
At 2,400mah, the DX Plus was aimed at a specific target market - power users. That's 10 hours of extra talk time! I've checked the power capacities of other brands and the DX Plus has more juice than most. Indeed, this thing will make your iPhone feel like a mini-tank, but in my humble opinion that's a small tradeoff for the convenience and peace of mind in knowing that you won't be stuck without power when you need it most.
Color Name: Black/Silver
What can I say, I had such a low bar for this type of product. The reviews on the older model were good and the newest one for the 4s seemed like a good bet. Even with the wifi on all day, my phone still reads 100 % battery.

I am coming off an otterbox case that did not wear as well as i would have liked and figured the enhanced battery would be a blessing.

The good -
1. Good materials, seems solidly made and it just works (which is why I generally like apple products). The kit also comes with a cable to plug it in. This is not an apple cable btw but a different type of connector. Since the phone can now sync via wifi, this is not a biggie. It comes with a screen wipe which worked well.

2. The phone slips in easily and the case clips together just as easily. This makes it easy to take it out if we need to later on for whatever reason.

3. Case has nice clean look to it. While I have not dropped the phone yet to see how effective it is, it looks like it would protect the phone.

The we can do better department - The screen cover is a piece of plastic with two stickers on it. When I attempted to remove them to put it on the cover to protect the glass, the glue smudged on the surface of it making it relatively useless. I am using the phone now without the protector. There has got to be a better way of doing this guys.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2013
Color Name: White/SliverVerified Purchase
Cheap plastic. It doesn't connect together in a solid way. Construction feels cheap. Even worse, there is some "play" meaning when you squeeze it slightly, it flexes. I couldn't help squeezing it all the time, and I'm sure over time it would fail. Also, and I think it's because it's white, it "ghosts" your pictures. When the flash goes off, the picture gets all washed out. Take the phone out of the case and the pictures look great. My wife has the black on and it does not have this problem. Also, her black one seems to be of a more solid build. I don't know why they got cheap on this model.
As a battery though, it's pretty solid. Kept my phone charged well.
on November 6, 2014
Color Name: Black/Silver
Currently own both battery cases. I bought the uNu because it has more battery capacity than the Mophie. Price wise the uNu has the advantage. The uNu also has a better micro usb connector, the Mophie micro usb connector can break in some cases but most of the time the usb cable for the Mophie tend to fall out a lot, you will need a micro usb cable with a long nose so it stays in place.

In terms of charging the iphone when running out of juice, I like the Mophie simple switch, you do not turn on the switch it does not charge the phone. With uNu as soon as you slide in the phone it start to charge it, you will have to manually turn off the automatic charging by pushing and holding the switch for like 5 sec. I do not like that, for example if your phone is fully charge who wants it to be charge when you slide it into the case.

Another thing is the build quality. I have to give this to the Mophie, its solidly built. I have had the Mophie longer than the uNu. Unfortunately the uNu has failed to protect my phone. The problem is the top cover, its very flimsy. Drop your phone once and it will crack, have a 2 year old play with it and they can break the top cover. It does not also sit well and can slide off easily. Because of the weak top cover my iphone has a crack on the lower screen. This happened when I attempted to pull it out of my pocket, the top case slid off and the phone fell.

This is the one issue I hate about the uNu. I have dropped my phone in a Mophie case several times from ear level with no single damage to my phone. If only they will improve the top cover this will be a great battery case.

So now its up to you to make the choice. They both are not perfect.
review image
on April 17, 2013
Color Name: Black
I ordered 2 of these for my wife and myself. They both worked well initially but both have failed rather quickly. My wife's failed within 3 months and mine lasted about 6 months. The plugin fails internally and then it won't charge. Another significant design flaw is that the top piece, the cap on top of the phone, slips off constantly and both have broken rather easily. Very flimsy design and materials.
on April 17, 2013
Color Name: White/SliverVerified Purchase
If you are an Iphone user, you probably are aware of the notorious battery problem. For most of us, just average daily use, you'll be shocked if your phone makes it throughout the day without dying.

This is the best invention since......the iPhone. Okay, maybe that's an overstatement. But, this really is indeed a lifesaver. I call mine "Second Chance" because at 0% battery life (when the battery is practically dead), when you put the case on, at full battery charge of the case, it can charge your iPhone back to 100% or nearly that much. Speaking of which, my phone just died an hour ago and now it's up at 95%. AND IT'S STILL CHARGING!! It charges your iPhone just as fast as you normally plugging it into an outlet.

This is great for people who find charging the iPhone constantly to be a headache/hassle, or they simply don't have time to charge their cell phone while they're on the go.

The case is sturdy and glossy. Two comments. First, is that it makes the phone noticeably heavy but that doesn't bother me. The case isn't bulk, it just weighs a decent amount because it has a battery attached to it (duh). The only complaint I have is that the front guard of the phone seems to be lacking, such as which, if the iPhone were to fall flat on its face with the battery back, your screen would probably be doomed and heavily damaged. So be very careful when touting it around.

Other than that, it's perfect.
on August 9, 2012
Color Name: White/SliverVerified Purchase
i had been worried, after reading other reviews, about counterfeit products and cheaply made products.

this one is great! i easily get and additional FULL charge out of it, and perhaps more.

this case even survived a waist high drop onto my wood floor.

it is a liiiiiittle big, however without a side by side comparison with the others i am sure that it is normal for the battery case.

i would probably buy another one if something were to happen to this one.
on March 23, 2013
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I'm not sure how protective this case is, and the reason why I had to get an iPhone is because I dropped my old phone one too many times and the display broke, so stay tuned.

However, as far as the battery power feature is concerned and the integration with the iPhone itself this case is stellar. I like that it constantly keeps the phone battery completely charged and also has a little battery meter on the back to tell when the case needs charging. The only enhancement that I could see would be an app that would show the case charge on the iPhone itself (hint, hint).

The case is pretty sturdy and definitely adds some bulk to the phone, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm thinking the finish will wear off and get scratched after a while, but that's better than the finish of the iPhone getting beat up :)

I will try to update this review after the first drop test.

UPDATE: 04 Apr. 2013 - So the case has survived its first drop test. It fell out of my hand from about 2 feet onto concrete and suffered no damage, not even any obvious scratches, in this case it fell pretty much on its back. Two feet is not my normal drop, it is usually more like three feet, but I am very happy so far. What did suffer damage during the drop was the connector for the headeset jack; it got bent a bit but is still working.
on September 28, 2012
I have had the case for 7 months. I like it very much .The good things are
1) The case seems very well made. I purchased a DX-04-2400 White base with silver bumper case, the white piano finish looks every elegant
2) The textured feel of the case is good. Less likely to drop it, and not prone to fingerprints and smudges. And it is slightly less likely to fall out of my shirt pocket when I bend over.
3) It protects the phone from drops and most types of damage very well. The phone almost bounces ,and I have never had any physical damage to my phone since I use this case.
on February 11, 2013
Color Name: Black/SilverVerified Purchase
I had a Mophie juice pack before for my iPhone 4S and it made it for about 6 months. this one lasted not even half that. very disappointing. don't buy!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations