Published on July 30, 2012 by EO

1.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For (in this case, you get less)
Published 12 months ago by Robert B. Goldman

1.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For (in this case, you get less), September 7, 2013
This review is from: External Flash Battery Pack for CANON Speedlite (580EX II, 580EX, 550EX), Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX and Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX Flashes with Lens Cleaning Pen and 5 Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloths (Camera)
I bought this a little over a year ago, thinking I would save well over a hundred bucks over the expensive Canon CPE4 battery pack. Cosmetically, they do appear identical. And while I was able to use the Canon knock-off, it did perform well. However, after about a year's use, it destroyed the communication port on 2 Canon 580 EXII flash units. Apparently, the size of the plug on the Canon knock-off was not manufactured to Canon's precise specifications. Over time, the fact that the plug on the knock-off and the communication port on the flash units did not match up precisely ruined the communication ports. Cost to repair each 580EXII - $85. I am now junking the knock-off and buying 2 Canon CPE4 battery packs. Lesson learned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery pack works greats; Very fast delivery, product well packaged. Top notch service., July 30, 2012
I received the battery pack from DigitalGojo very quickly. It also was very well packaged! The battery pack is identical to the much much more expensive Canon battery pack unit (which I also have). It includes a nice nylon case so you can carry it attached to your belt. I photographed a wedding last weekend and the battery pack worked flawlessly with my Canon 550EX flash unit. I like that DigitalGoja included a nice lens cleaning pen and microfiber cleaning pads in the package they sent me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm (and probably like a Canon), October 5, 2012
So I'm writing this with the disclaimer that I can't vouch for the product's long-term function. That said, it works just fine so far. The plastic feels a tad bit cheap I guess, but the nylon case seems to be pretty high quality - so most of the time you won't ever notice that anyways, besides maybe when you're changing batteries.

I've been using alkaline batteries for my 580exII. Please, don't do that unless you have to. I switched to Eneloop's just recently. That alone made a world of difference in terms of the recharge rate. Add to that the fact that they're re-chargeable, and it's an easy choice, really. Then I went and added this to my arsenal. I've shot a couple weddings. I haven't had this. Both times I thought I needed it, and after having it, I realized I was 100% right. You live and you learn. I'll have it next time - along with plenty of Eneloop's.

That's my advice, if you really need your flash to recharge quickly, get one of these. Is this one Canon quality? It's a plastic case with very limited electronics in it. There really isn't much to it honestly, and the same goes for Canon's version... Still, maybe, maybe not. It's hard to say for sure. I can tell you that it works. I've looked it over quite a bit and can't see a thing wrong with it. It loads my batteries fine. It makes my flash recharge MUCH faster. It's a fraction of the price of the Canon version. It does the same thing as the Canon version as far as I can tell. Is it a risk over buying the OEM Canon? Possibly... Would I buy this again? As of now - yes. If things change - I will annotate accordingly. I did just that for a knock-off battery grip that I bought for my 5d MkII about a week ago, and won't hesitate to do so if things change with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flash Rate Increased, August 23, 2013
David R. Marotta (Mission Viejo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Highly recommend this external battery pack that enables a faster flash rate than the 580EX II with only four batteries. Now the eight batteries in the external pack power the flash and the four batteries in the flash itself are used to control the flash functions...

5.0 out of 5 stars Product works great and at a great valued price., June 3, 2014
Tremendous savings over the Canon product, and it works just fine. I see no difference to the CP E4. Perfect for weddings and long events where you need reliable long lasting fire power with quick recharging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Value in a CP4 clone, March 20, 2014
I have three Canon 580EX II speedlites that I use for school and church functions among other jobs. The four Eneloops in each speedlite are just adequate to get me through most of those events, but after a while even the mighty Eneloops slow down. So, I decided to add some serious boost, but didn't want to toss about five big ones at getting the original Canon battery holders. These are just the thing. They are well built. I didn't have any issue with the cases or the battery contacts being flimsy or weak. I've used them on one of my bigger jobs (>30 music seniors and their families in keepsake portraits), and the speedlites never slowed down. The plugs fit well, the cases are solid, the outside cases are very useful with velcro straps to attach to my light stands. The pilot light comes on and stays on with the speedlite's power. Together with the four batteries in the speedlite, I have 12 Eneloops working for me on each flash now. It's just great! And, i saved four hundred dollars over the three setups. Yay! But, that's not all. the microfiber clothes and the brush this set ships with are actually decent quality and useful. This last was really unexpected.

I say, if you are considering something like this, just buy these. Heck, get some backups while you are at it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product and wonderful customer service, June 30, 2014
LMS (Fort Collins, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I am so glad I purchased this battery pack for my Canon 600X speedlite; it's been a wonderful addition to my equipment and I still don't know why I didn't get one sooner, given that I am a pro who photographs many, many weddings and my speedlite is the one piece of my equipment that frustrates me. The recycle time is exactly as advertised (i.e., very quick), the flash output power is amazing, and I don't have to change batteries once during the curse of a standard, eight-hour wedding shoot. My only recommendation is to use energizer AA batteries in it and not duracell. Normally, duracell is my go-to, but when I used energizers, the whole setup lasted through a wedding and two portrait sessions before I saw any degradation in performance. When I used duracell, I considered changing them before the end of a wedding, so definitely use energizer batteries. As for the service from the shop, the item was exactly as described, arrived very quickly (as in, quicker than the indicated ship time, which was great), and all in all, the shopping experience was great. I highly recommend ordering from Goja. The nice note included in the package said that if I was not able to leave a five-star review, contact them immediately for service. I am unreservedly leaving a five-star review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Powerful!, September 20, 2013
John Photo (Park City Utah) - See all my reviews
If you have ever complained about your flash's recycling times, you have not tried this baby. In fact, you can easily get yourself in trouble with overheating shutdowns if you are doing 1/1 flashes as fast as it will let you do. Not a problem when you get down to 1/4 or less. Very rare occurrence and if you are aware of it, it will never happen.

A heads up: The battery pack takes 8 AAs and you also need the 4 AAs in your speedlight for it to work. That's a total of 12 AAs before you get it to function. It will probably last all day if you are shooting all day (think wedding reception).

Amazing price. I don't know how the brand names can charge what they do for the same product.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have two others just like this one; Works Great, June 27, 2014
This flash battery Pack works perfect with my Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites [Total of three now, all with an external battery packs] of Wedding Receptions The extra battery packs fires all night long and I don't have to wait for my flash heads to recharge. Plenty of power now with these external packs.

Quality is very high at a very attractive price. I purchased three of these now for less than ONE Canon OEM external battery pack. Great Value. I would not hesitate to buy another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and does the job!, December 24, 2013
I recently used this for portaits at a corporate event - powering an off-camera Nissin Di866 Mk1 (Canon version). With 4 Energizer NiMH AA in the speedlight and 8 more in this battery pack, I was able to shoot all day without changing batteries.

Although recycle times were not crucial for this particular event, I have noted this battery pack decreases recycle time drastically since it connects to the high-voltage input on the flash. Faster recycle times can certainly be a benefit in some situations.

The included carry pouch is functional, with a 2-way belt loop on one side and a velcro strap on the other. This accomodates carrying the pack on your belt vertically or horizontally, or allows for easy attachment to a light stand for off-camera use.

I will be ordering a second one of these battery packs for my other Di866 Mk1. The value and performance are a clear win.