Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on March 15, 2012
I was a bit skeptical purchasing this item with it having little to no reviews, but being pressed on time, happy with its low cost, and frustrated after losing a couple of ebay auctions, I gave in and bought the sucker. And boy am I pleased! It arrived EARLIER then expected, and reads and writes data like a champ! At first I was confused on how to use it, it came with no instructions, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out how to plug in a USB Cable and a floppy disk. Heres what I did to make mine work (USING WINDOWS 7)
Step 1) Plug in the Disk Drive for the first time,with no floppy inserted, and let it install its drivers
Step 2) Once its done installing the drivers, insert your floppy disk. It will not pop up with an Auto Play window like you are used to with USB Flash Drives, it will stay hidden. To find it, either right click the little icon that popped up in the bottom right corner, then click open devices and printers, OR open up Control Panel, and depending on whether yours is in Control Panel, or View All Items mode, you will click on View devices and printers under Hardware and Sound, or Devices and Printers if you are in the view all mode thing.
Step 3) Locate the disk drive. Mine was labeled MITSUMI0. Right Click it>Browse Files>Floppy Disk Drive (A:)
And Wah-Lah! You are ready to use it! Now, there are other problems you could be having, but I will not answer all these problems, you can google it if you need to or post a comment. The other problem I WILL be solving though, is if you cant put anything on or off of the floppy disk, eject it, and hold it to the writing on the metal angular part it readable. Flip it over, and you will notice those square holes on the bottom the one on the right has a little tab you can slide, slide it so the hole is closed. This allows the disk to be written, instead of just read. If it doesnt work, you can always just put a piece of tape over it.
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2012
My drive arrived quickly. I first plugged it in to an XP Desktop. It recognized it imediately and installed the drivers. I put on old floppy in it and my computer opened one of the files (a Lotus 1-2-3 Spreadsheet). To get it to do this, however, I had to open Lotus first and then click on open a file and then go to the A Drive. Not a problem.

The same thing happened when I plugged it into my Windows 7 Laptop: it was immediately recognized and the drivers were automatically installed. To open a Lotus Spreadsheet I again had to open Lotus first.

Another reviewer said his was made by NEC. Mine is made by Mitsumi. It would appear that a consistent product is not being shipped to all buyers. That would mean that the reviews you read here -- including mine -- may not be truly meaningful if the one you get is made by a diferent manufacturer than the one being reviewed by any individual reviewer.

My only immediate problem is with the length of the cable. It's (only) about 18" long; this means that it's barely long enough to allow me to have the drive sit on top of my desktop's tower (which sits on the floor), and although it sort-of reaches, it's a stretch, and I'm worried it might fall off. I expect crashing to the floor would not be good for it. (The short length might be a positive to those who want to use it where a longer cord would only create clutter.) In any case, the specs really should have included the length of the cord.
on May 27, 2012
This brand new drive arrived on time, was well packaged, and is plug and play. I used it immediately in case of problems. (The packing sheet that came with it gave the phone # for support if there were problems.) There were no problems, it works as described. I recommend the company and the item. Satisfied customer can now transfer data from floppies to hard drive or other.
on March 30, 2012
I was surprised when the POST recognised this drive as a NEC, i was expecting some hardware with no brand! The product arrived at the correct date and well packaged, it works as a charm, very easy to plug in and Windows 7 recognised it as soon as it was installed.I was looking for an External USB Floppy Disk Drive for quite some time because i have lots of floppy disks to recover data from and i finally founded! Cheap and reliable so far!
on August 13, 2012
It's a standard floppy disk drive. It's black, USB, and works like any floppy drive. The cord is short at about 17" long. The drive works fine other than I have to unplug it and plug it in again to reset it from time to time. Sometimes, it doesn't reset via USB so I have to reboot the machine. But for a USB drive used occasionally, it works fine. And for the price, a good buy.
on November 3, 2012
It's not often I purchase something that works prefectly right out the box but this product did. It came with no instructions but none where needed. Plug it into the USB port, your computer will read it as new hardware, then you're set. It was compatable with Windows 7. I purchased this because I had hundreds of dollars invested in embrodiery designs which were purchased when computers only had floppy drives. I was able to utilize all of the designs and download to new sewing machine. The $10 device saved me hundreds of dollars.
on January 24, 2013
Let me be very clear that this drive does not work with Windows 7 nor Windows Vista. I tried this on three different computers and it failed to work with any of them. This was very disappointing since I still have several boxes of floppies I would like to transfer. I will have to look elsewhere as this drive failed this task miserably. This may work with older computers but not on Windows 7 or Vista.
on July 26, 2014
I have had it less than a week so cannot speak to durability or reliability. I can say that it was plug and play with no unexpected surprises right out of the box on Windows 7 and XP desktop computers. Both computers recognized it and It showed up as the A: drive as expected. I am able to read, write, format etc. Have not tried using it as the boot drive. This particular drive was manufactured by Mitsumi. As some have noted the cable is short but that has not been much of a problem. I can recommend without hesitation and would purchase again if I had need for another.
on February 22, 2013
I am giving this a fair rating because it was not as good as I had hoped. It only worked for some of my disks. For others it kept telling me the disks needed to be reformatted before using. Of course problems could have been with the disks. Transferring the information to my computer was difficult. Could not transfer an entire file....had to transfer individual documents or photos. And this was a very slow process. Occasionally it froze my computer. After a lot of work, I did manage to save some information. To be fair, using this product is trying to combine old technology with new. If you have old floppys that you want to check out, it is worth trying this product considering the low price.
on May 11, 2013
Received the drive which was supposed to include a CD with driver. The box and the instructions inside said I was supposed to receive a CD driver. No driver received. I feel ripped off. More China junk. After much effort I found a driver on line and so far this junk works. Don't buy it.