Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on August 28, 2012
I've been duped into renting some movies on amazon that look like they were shot by a 12 year old with a 30$ camera. Because of that I am now leery of renting movies below at least 3 stars, so for the longest time I avoided this movie. Finally, being out of anything else to watch, I decided to chance it. Boy, what a pleasant surprise! Maybe because my expectations were so low to begin with? I don't know, all I know is that this was a professionally done movie, the actors (while their accents were mildly annoying) were at least mid-grade professionals, and the story line was not horrible - at least not compared to most zombie movies. Plenty of action, though no big explosions or anything and not very gory.
Seeing as there are a bunch of low ratings for this film, maybe I just have weird taste in movies. Maybe I feel that only boring movies made by what appear to be 12 year olds who con you out of $1.99 or more deserve 1 star ratings. But my guess is that if you like zombie movies this film will be a good rent.
0Comment18 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2012
Well made film.

The actors did a great job, the script was reasonable, the plot points made sense.

Overall a fine zombie movie.
on June 18, 2013
Now maybe it is the fact that the last half dozen "zombie / infected" movies I have watched in the past few months have been so -so average to just plain crap, but I really liked this movie! It's German, but the actors actually speak English, and they do so very well! There are a few bumps in the story, and some slow areas, especially at the beginning, and the ending is slightly cheesy, but over all, I think Extinction is a re-watchable / keeper infected / zombie movie for me!
The infected range from slow stumblers, to "Hulk", to full tilt, back flipping acrobats. There was no explanation for why there were different types of infected. The infected were similar to the infected in Steve Nile's Remains in that some of them "sleep" at night and some eat fellow infected!
What this movie has is a cast of actors that can act. The characters are not the stereo-typical band of survivors and they are pretty well fleshed out and developed. The script was thought out and well written and joy of joy, the characters were given realistic dialogue, instead of shallow chit chat and f-bomb diarrhea of the mouth! There is no mindless Hollywood action hero crap in the action nor heaps of gore for gore sake. The CGI that is used is not over the top. And the fact that this was a budget film didn't stand out at all. The film makers really took their time when coming up with a good story, they had great actors and found great locations to film in. The running time was just under 2 hours which I thought was perfect. ...
It is a worth while and enjoyable movie!
on August 22, 2012
If you are looking for a movie with some zombie action look elsewhere.This was a ok movie it wasn't bad nor was it super great I would watch it again. There was some good actor in the movie. I would say that this movie was above low buget so it's worth watching for $3 bucks. Three *** is about right.
22 comments6 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2012
Hey Everyone. I'm a huge Zombie fan and search all the time for great movies. It's hard to find them! This one is written well. It has great acting and action and a good plot. This one is not the average B film. It is definitely worth watching. Watch it Zombie lover! You'll like it! I promise!
on October 9, 2012
One of the goals I have set is to view any and all zombie movies available.
This movie has a lot of talent put into it. The acting is fine, the camera
was handled well. The make-up effects were fine, and the gore action scenes were
for the most part computer generated. This movie was more like 28 Days Later than
Night of the Living Dead. A virus has mutated humanity into violent killers that
look somewhat zombie-ish. We have a rag-tag group of survivors that are immune
to the virus and develop a plan to grow and be safe and secure from the mutants.
When they travel and explore, they find
more survivors along the way. This is not a spoiler review. There is enough
plot to keep the story interesting. There is not a lot of zombie action, but
the story makes up for the difference. Much of the film is filmed at night or
in dark buildings. (electricity is toast-it's a given!) Worth the $ to rent,
and worth watching again. Enjoy!
on February 9, 2014
Extinction came out the same year as the remake of Romero's The Crazies--and both movies have a lot in common: the government causes the outbreak, and small groups of survivors band together in attempts to survive, and the zombies are different varieties of "Crazies." The filming and directing are excellent with nice settings in German towns and countryside. The weakest actor is better than most in other zombie movies. With the survivors heading south, the movie left me hoping an Extiction 2 is in the mix.
on July 26, 2015
Hahaha, almost an even distribution of ratings and I think I can understand why. This is a fairly low budget movie and with that comes questionable special effects, camera work, acting and production value. If you get around that there is a decent story here that focuses on a small group trying to survive a zombie apocalypse. Sure it's a little coincidental and goofy at times, but as a fan of the genre I was willing to overlook the rough edges. If that is something you cant do then pass on this one.
on October 9, 2014
Better than most zombie flicks out there right now, trust me. I also liked the cinematography, it's not a bog budget film but creative and more enjoyable than the typical cheesy low budget zombie movies out there. Was worth my time and I am not a film critic by any means but I am a zombie obsessed fan!
on June 7, 2013
This is a rather long film in need of editing. It centers on Tom (Daniel Buder) who has survived a zombie outbreak. He holds up in a safe watchtower with a secured perimeter. He does everything correctly. Tom searches for survivors and answers. Through the course of the film he gets both. The zombie infestation is caused by a mutant virus, for which a small percentage of the population is immune.

They really had a golden opportunity as the virus effects people differently. They could of had more fun developing stranger zombies. Likewise the characters in this film were stiff and devoid of personality that would cause interesting internal conflict. A drab film. 3 stars is pushing it.

Parental Guide: F-bomb. No sex or nudity. $9.96 Walmart.