5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Baseball Book
Published on August 2, 2012 by J. Smallridge

2.0 out of 5 stars Short on actual research
Baseball Prospectus generally puts out a decent product, but Extra Innings was lacking on actual mathematic/economic/statistical research to back up many of the claims made in the book - especially the chapter on pitcher health and durability.

Not a terrible book, but nothing genuinely interesting, either.
Published 19 months ago by Kyle Boddy

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Baseball Book, August 2, 2012
J. Smallridge (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This book is a must-have for those interested in all aspects of baseball. The essay format worked really well for me as it allows for analysis and commentary on a wide-range of issues from steroids to Jack Morris (who I'm now convinced doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame). Some chapters are better than others -- the Baseball 101 chapter may be the best while chapter on evaluating managers may be the worst -- but this is an excellent resource overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars There's something for everyone, April 5, 2012
I've been a fan of Baseball Prospectus since the very first annual and there's something for everyone in Extra Innings whether you've been a diehard follower from the early days or just have recently discovered them. Extra Innings covers a wide variety of topics, from the Steroid Era and its impact on the Hall of Fame to the scouting/development aspect of the game to bullpen management (as a Rangers fan, this cuts deep. Thanks Wash..) and many more topics. The Jazayerli piece on age and the amateur draft is fascinating and could, if it hasn't already, impact the games for years. There's enough here for just about anyone interested in any aspect of the game and the wide variety of authors and styles should keep you entertained for hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baseball Prospectus does it again, March 20, 2012
I love baseball. While I was at a game with a friend a few years ago, he suggested I check out Baseball Prospectus, and I can't thank him enough for that recommendation. Their books are a must-read for anybody who loves the game. Insightful, entertaining, and well-written.

The newest addition on my bookshelf is Extra Innings. If you are already familiar with Baseball Prospectus, you'll probably buy this book no matter what I have to say about it. But if you've never read one of their previous books, then you should know that you can pick this one up and enjoy it from start to finish. If you're still hesitating, then I suggest you check out the excerpt from Extra Innings that has been published on their free website [...]

I would strongly recommend Baseball Prospectus and Extra Innings for every baseball fan. You can buy it for yourself, of course, but I especially recommend it if you're buying it as a gift for someone else who loves the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes Deeper, April 17, 2012
This Book Will Take Baseball To The Next Level and will definitely have something for everyone.

* Latin America drafting
* The Myth of manager Impact
* How ERA and BA are Outdated.
* Tommy John injuries and Pitcher Abuse

And Many more. For a HUGE Baseball Fan, HIGHLY Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Short on actual research, February 23, 2013

Not a terrible book, but nothing genuinely interesting, either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read,great insight, April 12, 2014
Great insight and awesome prespective on baseballs most debated topics.. Well worded, do not have to be a sabr guru to grasp the concepts. Topped their 1st installment " between the numbers" which was a classic in itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Letdown After The Standard, March 22, 2014
When I read "Baseball Between The Numbers", it was pretty much my introduction to baseball sabermetrics and I was hooked. This follow-up edition, however, was a bit of a letdown in that it felt like many categories were "reaches" instead of solid statistical digging.

First of all, I really didn't start getting into the book until about the half-way point. The chapters on scouting don't even have a place in this book IMHO, while the multiple steroids chapters again are not the thought-provoking material of the original book.

When "Extra Innings" finally does shift into high gear, it still remains hit-and-miss. Some chapters are fascinating, while others just left me skimming pages (something I never did in "Between The Numbers").

Overall, "Extra Innings" was just an okay read for me. Maybe that was inevitable because I had already been introduced to the concepts before, but I just felt that there were too many "reaches" in this book to really get my mind engaged like "Between the Numbers" did on nearly every page.

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a Stand-Up Double than a Home Run, March 14, 2013
I've been reading BP for years now and this is a nice little addendum to the annuals. For a person well-versed in sabremetrics a lot of material in this book is already common knowledge to me, but there were several sections that added to my knowledge and enjoyment of the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needed a copy editor, April 27, 2012
R. Browning "rsbrown3" (San Antonio, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I am a big fan of Baseball Prospectus, and long before a fan of Bill James' abstracts. I enjoy the style, the wit, and especially the insights into the game. I would prefer, however, to focus on the reading and not have to mentally correct errors like "do to" when "due to" is what was wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, June 22, 2012
For anyone who misses Bill James's annual baseball abstracts, this book provides a heavy dose of sabermetrics. The authors explore nuances within the game that any sabermetrician can enjoy. I can't get enough of this stuff. Do yourself a favor and buy this book along with its predecessor from the authors of Baseball Prospectus.

Extra Innings: More Baseball Between the Numbers from the Team at Baseball Prospectus
$27.99 $11.20