Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Extra Innings: More Baseball Between the Numbers from the Team at Baseball Prospectus
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 22, 2014
When I read "Baseball Between The Numbers", it was pretty much my introduction to baseball sabermetrics and I was hooked. This follow-up edition, however, was a bit of a letdown in that it felt like many categories were "reaches" instead of solid statistical digging.

First of all, I really didn't start getting into the book until about the half-way point. The chapters on scouting don't even have a place in this book IMHO, while the multiple steroids chapters again are not the thought-provoking material of the original book.

When "Extra Innings" finally does shift into high gear, it still remains hit-and-miss. Some chapters are fascinating, while others just left me skimming pages (something I never did in "Between The Numbers").

Overall, "Extra Innings" was just an okay read for me. Maybe that was inevitable because I had already been introduced to the concepts before, but I just felt that there were too many "reaches" in this book to really get my mind engaged like "Between the Numbers" did on nearly every page.
on August 2, 2012
This book is a must-have for those interested in all aspects of baseball. The essay format worked really well for me as it allows for analysis and commentary on a wide-range of issues from steroids to Jack Morris (who I'm now convinced doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame). Some chapters are better than others -- the Baseball 101 chapter may be the best while chapter on evaluating managers may be the worst -- but this is an excellent resource overall.
on April 5, 2012
I've been a fan of Baseball Prospectus since the very first annual and there's something for everyone in Extra Innings whether you've been a diehard follower from the early days or just have recently discovered them. Extra Innings covers a wide variety of topics, from the Steroid Era and its impact on the Hall of Fame to the scouting/development aspect of the game to bullpen management (as a Rangers fan, this cuts deep. Thanks Wash..) and many more topics. The Jazayerli piece on age and the amateur draft is fascinating and could, if it hasn't already, impact the games for years. There's enough here for just about anyone interested in any aspect of the game and the wide variety of authors and styles should keep you entertained for hours.
on March 20, 2012
I love baseball. While I was at a game with a friend a few years ago, he suggested I check out Baseball Prospectus, and I can't thank him enough for that recommendation. Their books are a must-read for anybody who loves the game. Insightful, entertaining, and well-written.

The newest addition on my bookshelf is Extra Innings. If you are already familiar with Baseball Prospectus, you'll probably buy this book no matter what I have to say about it. But if you've never read one of their previous books, then you should know that you can pick this one up and enjoy it from start to finish. If you're still hesitating, then I suggest you check out the excerpt from Extra Innings that has been published on their free website [...]

I would strongly recommend Baseball Prospectus and Extra Innings for every baseball fan. You can buy it for yourself, of course, but I especially recommend it if you're buying it as a gift for someone else who loves the game.
on February 23, 2013
Baseball Prospectus generally puts out a decent product, but Extra Innings was lacking on actual mathematic/economic/statistical research to back up many of the claims made in the book - especially the chapter on pitcher health and durability.

Not a terrible book, but nothing genuinely interesting, either.
on March 14, 2013
I've been reading BP for years now and this is a nice little addendum to the annuals. For a person well-versed in sabremetrics a lot of material in this book is already common knowledge to me, but there were several sections that added to my knowledge and enjoyment of the game.
on April 17, 2012
This Book Will Take Baseball To The Next Level and will definitely have something for everyone.

* Latin America drafting
* The Myth of manager Impact
* How ERA and BA are Outdated.
* Tommy John injuries and Pitcher Abuse

And Many more. For a HUGE Baseball Fan, HIGHLY Recommended.
on April 12, 2014
Great insight and awesome prespective on baseballs most debated topics.. Well worded, do not have to be a sabr guru to grasp the concepts. Topped their 1st installment " between the numbers" which was a classic in itself.
on April 27, 2012
I am a big fan of Baseball Prospectus, and long before a fan of Bill James' abstracts. I enjoy the style, the wit, and especially the insights into the game. I would prefer, however, to focus on the reading and not have to mentally correct errors like "do to" when "due to" is what was wanted.
VINE VOICEon June 15, 2012
I LOOVE detail -- I LOVE taking things apart and learning about their innermost workings -- and i LOOOVE BASEBALL!! This wonderful book is an example of the innermost workings of baseball statistics and why someone with a lousy batting or fielding average JUST MAY BE the one who keeps a team alive and in the standings. Relief pitchers - are they worth their salary? Home Run Hitters -- do they perform for the maximum benefit of their team? Promising recruits -- how are they groomed in the Minors, to become the stars they show the promise of becoming? And WHAT truly makes a GOOD manager!!???

All this (by various authors) and more -- with some wonderful trivia thrown in as well -- I looove this book!!!

Scuze me -- I must sit down with a hot dog a pretzel and a beer and read this book again. Catch me later-- at the 7th Inning Stretch.

Cheers!!