5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and follow well organized plan for a lifetime of healthy eating for you and your children., June 20, 2011
I wanted to review Extra Lean Family because being Mexican Mario has many issues I have when it comes to family tradition and eating. I myself am Hispanic and was born in Puerto Rico although my ancestors came from Spain. I have found this book to work for my family and me when it comes to nutrition, meals and our total health. In the introduction Mario points out how he struggled with eating right as a young adolescent and into his teens. He points out the main goal of his books are is to help others find the right balance when it comes to nutrition. Now that he is married and has a family of his own he has decided to extend that information with this Extra Lean Family book. Chapter 1 of the book is quick and focused on the metabolism, calories, servings good and bad fats and other information, including child size portions. Just a refresher if you already know some things and great insight for others who do not, especially when it comes to child portions. The second chapter moves on to what kinds of foods you should and should not have in the house, shopping for the right foods and food labels. Chapter 3 helps you maintain the Extra Lean habits. While chapter 4 is "the five week meal plan." which includes a grocery list for each week, simple family recipes and nutrition information. In chapter 5 the focus goes to the nutrition of the child, including healthy snacks, options for the picky eater and really good points on how to help your child eat better without being overbearing. Even if we can't get our kids to eat right we can at least show them how to by example, which later can be a great benefit once they get older and realise the importance of it, a great point in the book. Chapter 6 leads into other helpful tips like how to fool your appetite, fast food rules and some pointers on physical fitness.

Overall what I liked most about this book is that it is a condensed 250 pages with tons of great information. So it is not over whelming parents to read and begin to use this nutrition plan, a plan that regular hard working people can implement into their lives. It can be so hard for parents to stick to a family meal plan when they spend all day at work and come home to parenting. Extra Lean Family is not a book for those who are looking to have their fa, in our fast paced society. This book is not a weight loss book for a family to lose weight on a special diet. It is not a get thin quick scheme and yes some of these concepts in the book you probably have already even heard of or read before. However it is a well organized book, a book on how to lead a happy healthy lifestyle with food, to help us parents implement daily healthy habits into our lives and the lives of our children, so they can continue to eat healthy into their adulthood and later pass it on to their own children someday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent daily meal planner, June 18, 2011
I tried Extra Lean Family Meals from my local library and have really enjoyed the meals. Next week I have to return the book so I'm ordering it today from Amazon. I did the same with Mario's first diet book and still use it today (it has it's pages torn, food stains and the binding is coming off due to using it so much). I will probably end up ordering his first book again as soon as the old one becomes unusable. Would highly recommend both books. Liked the way he's incorporated a grocery list into his second book as it really helps. Thanks Mario!

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?, July 9, 2012
This review is from: Extra Lean Family: Get Lean and Achieve Your Family's Best Health Ever (Hardcover)
This is a great cookbook! One of the best that I've found in recent years. The recipes are super simple, very quick and best of all, delicious. The instructions are easy to follow and even if you're new to home-cooking, you'll have no trouble making the meals taste great! In addition to the recipes themselves, Mario has added a shopping list for each week so you know exactly what to buy every time you go to the store (which cuts back on impulse purchases, my weakness). He also gives some great tips on eating healthy as a lifestyle, not just when you're cooking dinner each night. This book isn't just a cookbook, it's a meal planning guide that teaches you HOW to eat, not just WHAT to eat. And most of all, I love that he includes children in the meal planning and gives you tips on how to feed picky eaters. Overall, I say this cookbook is a must for every family that is trying to live a healthier lifestyle while still eating yummy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, August 23, 2013
Nancy Brienzo (LINCOLN, NE, US) - See all my reviews
we are trying very hard to do what it suggests. Have to tweek it to your lifestyle but doable and is healthly

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy living, June 27, 2012
I purchased this cookbook after checking it out of the library. A must-have for those looking for ways to trim down with healthier food options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 11, 2012
There are many good recipes. My family, even my kids, loved the food. It was exactly within my budget each week, which helped me to stop buying foods I didnt need and stick to my list. I even lost a jean size without exercising for about 3 weeks. But Im back to working out and I have seen even more improvment in my body's looks and energy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mario, August 29, 2011
This is a really good book. Great tips and great recipies. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quick & easy jump start to healthly living and low fat cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Healthy Way to Eat and Live, January 16, 2014
I like this book because it describes the way I recently learned to eat correctly. As I read it, I was surprised to find my diet backed-up with reasons it is best to eat this way. Now I have more reasons to eat low fat and suggestions on how to achieve weight loss and healthy snacking. I am encouraged to learn I will lose weight and enjoy eating at the same time. It's wonderful to know that a way of eating healthy doesn't have to be a diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book I wish it had a video companion of the recipies or something lol .., November 18, 2013
I just got t his book. I'm half way through it. My only complaint that that is a supplement for another of his books. Still a good book for those who need to change their eating habits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, November 22, 2014
Some really good sounding recipes, I hope to try them all

Extra Lean Family: Get Lean and Achieve Your Family's Best Health Ever