5.0 out of 5 stars Extra Love for Teachers! (a must have guide)
Published 20 months ago by Candace K.

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely the basics
Published 15 months ago by Unbiased Zhou

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra Love for Teachers! (a must have guide), December 1, 2012
This review is from: Extra Love: The Art of Hands-On Assists - The Definitive Manual for Yoga Teachers, Assistants and Advanced Students, Volume Two (Paperback)
Jill's dedication and willingness to share her expertise and compassion to give definitely shows in both of her books. As a previous owner of the Volume I, I was more than excited to open Volume II once I received it in the mail. I was stuck in bed reading it, flipping through the pages, excited to learn right away. I met Jill originally by taking her Hand's on Assists Workshop in San Francisco (which I am so grateful I did!!). Volume I was used as a great recap on everything I learned from the workshop and is a great reference book.

As a new teacher, trying to expand one's knowledge can be difficult when there is so much to learn. These books have been really motivating and inspiring me to progress in my teaching skills and in feeling comfortable with my assists. As Jill has recommended in her classes, I have been adding one assist at a time. Since I started doing that several months ago, I have had multiple students thank me for my assists. I take this feedback as a greater inspiration to never stop learning.

Volume II, is the updated, more juicy version of Volume I! Jill's dedication and hard work in helping teachers learn definitely shows. There are very insightful, detailed instructions, with multiple variations for each pose. Most importantly, Jill really focuses on breaking assists down from beginners to the more advanced students. Overall, I enjoy Volume II more than Volume I. I feel that it has more detailed instructions with better photos than the first edition. Although I haven't entirely read through the whole book yet, I always leave it out so I can pick one good thing out of it at at time.

I would definitely recommend this book for all teachers who are wishing to expand their knowledge on assists and feeling comfortable to connect with their students more deeply!

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely the basics, May 9, 2013
Bought both volumes 1&2. Unfortunately, the books barely cover the basics with almost no useful information for practicing teachers. Adjustments such as "making sure the hips face forward" are not unique, inspiring, or anything more than you would receive from any of the hundreds of basic yoga manuals on the market. Each posture contains several photos with only one being large enough to actually examine. The rest are nothing more than thumbnail size fluff. If you are truly looking for material on adjustments and safe body alignment for teaching, this is probably not the resource you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Teacher's Manual for Assisting in Yoga, July 16, 2013
I find this book on assisting students in yoga to be incredibly useful. The format is very well-organized so that you can read about the rudiments of the pose, the common misalignments, and then options for assisting beginning, intermediate, and advanced students. Not only is this a convenient narrative form to describe the poses, it serves as a fingertip guide to the poses, proper alignment, misalignment, and assists for the teacher.

If you have ever received a really nourishing assist as a yoga student, then you realize how important this can be to offer as a yoga teacher. Offering an assist can be a fast path to enabling a student to experience a pose in a way that may be difficult to explain in words and through demonstration. The hands-on assists that are detailed in this volume are for standing poses, back bends, and sun salutations. It is easy to read through the explanation of the assists, and it's further helpful to see how the assists are performed through the thumbnail illustrations.

It has been my good fortune to attend two workshops with Jill (which I highly recommend) and the material in the book is better than any notes I could have hoped to take. But even if you don't have the opportunity to take her workshop, the book (which I also highly recommend) is true to the material taught live and will be immensely and immediately useful to the yoga teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra Love Vol I and Vol II - An Invaluable Resource for Yoga Teachers, January 7, 2014
I recently completed 500 Hour Yoga Teacher Training. Consequently, I have two bookshelves of related reference books. Some required, some suggested and some snatched up in desperation. But frankly, day in and day out, I only reference five of them, and Jill Abelson's Extra Love: The Art of Hands-on Assists Vol. I and Vol. II are two of those five books. These manuals on assisting are a priceless resource. They include excellent photos of hands on assists. Clear instructions for delivering the assists. And succinct and concise iterations of common misalignments for asana. One of the most challenging aspects of Yoga Teacher Training is being able to take in and assimilate all of the information that is flying through you, both intellectually and somatically, during the course of such sessions. And in no area of Yoga Teacher Training is this challenge more pronounced than in that of assisting. Abelson's books do the impossible, they deliver both the hands-on impact of personal instruction and transmission from a great teacher (she is), as well as the analysis, detail and organization of an excellent reference text. Yes, that is impossible and the author does it. Even if you are not in a Yoga Teacher Training program, but are seriously into yoga and want to deepen your practice, or get to the bottom of something that is blocking you in some asana or some category of asanas, this book is for you. It is accessible and yet in-depth, it is thorough and yet simple, it is technical and yet has a heartfelt charm. Well, like I started out, Extra Love: The Art of Hands-on Assists, Vol. I and Vol. II are two out of the five yoga texts that I actually use - on a practical basis, and with frequency. Namaste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra Love: The Art of Hands-On Assists, August 9, 2013
I have taught vinyasa flow classes as a 200 Hour Registered Yoga Teacher for over 9 years and have practiced in many studios and classes for much longer than that.
The best of these have been Jill's classes and workshops on assisting. An awesome part of these classes have been Jill's clear and supportive assists for every yoga pose. Jill teaches with her mind, her heart and through her talented assists.

Extra Love: The Art of Hands-On Assists, Volume II complements her first volume by discussing and illustrating assists for the Warrior Series, Standing poses and backbends. Jill has set forth her in-depth knowledge of and sensitivity for the art of assisting that she demonstrates so well in her teaching. It offers a greater understanding of how to offer thoughtful and effective yoga instruction through assists.

In Extra Love she clearly addresses how to approach assists with clear intention and a knowledge of the energetics and energy flow for each pose and how these factors influence the type of assists that a teacher offers to students. Her analysis of the different types of assists is important; from ensuring safety through proper alignment to advanced assisting into deeper awareness, sensation and strength for more experienced students.

This book is clearly important for teachers at all levels of experience and essential for students at all points in their yoga practice. It's been a great reference for me as a yoga instructor.

It should be a required text for every teacher training program and CEU offering throughout the yoga profession.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get both volumes, July 18, 2013
Volume 2 is another winner. Jill Abelson is a gifted teacher who has a wonderful way of deconstructing a yoga pose and guiding yoga teachers in ways to help deepen the student's experience of the posture, both from an energetic viewpoint and a physical safety viewpoint. If you ever have a chance to attend her workshops, do. In the meantime, enjoy both volumes. They are filled with an abundance of photos, clear explanations, and thoughts to consider. You will gain confidence as a teacher, bring "extra gifts of love" to your students, and your personal practice will improve as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Investment, May 26, 2013
I LOVE this book. It is invaluable and very helpful in my practice. I am glad I made the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars And I thought Volume 1 was great!, March 5, 2013
Volume 2 is amazing; same clear instructions and use of photos as the first volume, but this time Jill addresses the standing poses and the suryas. This is an important resource for teachers and assistants, particularly those working with fast paced vinyasa classes. With the pace of many classes, it has been my experience that teachers are not as comfortable "getting in there" to assist. I view this as unfortunate (I love being assisted because I find it grounding) and potentially dangerous (faster classes often translate into bad alignment). Jill's Extra Love Volume 2 wil give instructors the knowledge and confidence they need to safely assist students and deepen their practice. I highly recommend this book and cannot wait for Volume 3. Keep them coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Progression, March 2, 2013
Round Number Two only gets better. I purchased Jill's first book on assists and was really impressed with the clear, concise and genuine way the book was written. I just finished Volume Two and am so glad to see the assists for Surya Namaskar fully broken down into each individual pose. Jill thanks so very much. It's a wonderful resource for teachers, as well as students of all levels wanting to learn more how to refine their poses. I also like Jill's pictures, very clear. It's a wonderful resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource for teachers and students, written with love, January 31, 2013
I wrote a review for Volume 1 of Extra Love, and wanted to repeat here praise for Volume 2, a continuation of material she presented in the first book.

An avid athlete (running, skiing, mountain biking), I have practiced yoga for over 10 years as a way to build strength and flexibility, and it is now a very important part of my life. My favorite teachers have been those with the skill to give hands on adjustments to help me improve my technique. A knee injury last year has made me even more appreciative of teachers with an eye for detail and alignment.

Jill's book is an excellent resource for yoga teachers who want expand their knowledge base and teaching capabilities. Although I am not a yoga teacher, her books have helped me identify some misalignments and deepen my practice. This has been particularly useful for some chronic injuries/pain I have been working to resolve.

Jill is a gifted teacher, well-know teacher on both coasts and is dedicated to sharing what she knows with others. Her kindness and wisdom are evident in person, as well as in her books. Her writing style is so straightforward, practical and even intimate that you will feel comfortable and encouraged, no matter what style of yoga you practice or level of experience. This is a book for everyone, written with love.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›