Customer Discussions > The Thing from Another World forum

Extra footage from "The Thing"?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 6, 2006 6:09:39 PM PDT
Cave Bear says:
I have this DVD around here somewhere, but a while back I happened to catch this classic SF flick on Turner Classic Movies, and watched it for a while. It didn't take long to notice that the version TCM was showing had some extra footage that the DVD (or VHS before it) had. I first noticed it during the scene when Capt. Hendry (Kenneth Tobey) first sees and talks to Nikki (Margaret Sheridan) upon first arriving at the arctic base. There was at least a minute or two of extra dialogue in that scene I'd never seen before, and it even fleshed out some of the details of the characters' past relationship, and even explained a few things. I also saw a few snippets added in other parts of the film that, to me at least, added some depth to the characters and their relationships to each other. I'd love to see a DVD version of this film (one of my favorites since I was a kid) released with the extra footage.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 6:48:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2008 6:52:58 PM PDT
J. Clawson says:
I saw the film when it first came out as a kid. There was a scene [which really imprinted on me] where the door to the greenhouse is opened and two airmen are hanging upside down like so many sheep. I have never seen this again. When viewing the film again at the Biograph in Georgetown, D.C., about 25 years ago in their Science Fiction anthology program, the program notes mentioned that the Director was so shocked at that scene that he withdrew the prints and re-edited it out. Now you have the MENTION of the airmen, but no scene. Yes, I noticed the session with the pilot roped to a chair and being "force fed" drinks is in some versions and not in others. REALLY wish someone would reconstruct the ORIGINAL release that I saw. Also wish that someone would release the COMPLETE version of "Things to Come" [1936]. Think I saw the complete version on PBS many years ago - the scenes with the AA at the beginning had a great extended montage, which is not in any other version I have seen. Alas, hardly no one remembers the airmen scene in Thing or the complete version of Things.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 9:37:21 PM PDT
H. Kane says:
I believe I saw the same version on Turner Classic Movies that Cave Bear references. That particular version, while having additional footage, also suffered from terrible quality inconsistencies. As reel transitions occurred the quality varied from sharp archival quality video to fuzzy, almost out of focus scenes and then back again. Although I have a recording of the TCM version, I'd replace it in a heartbeat with a clean DVD transcription.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2008 1:28:46 PM PDT
NNNNN says:
The fuzzy shift you saw on Turner of the restored few minutes is on the DVD. God only knows the source of the print but it is a minor irritation and it's good to have the extra few minutes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2006
Latest post:  Aug 21, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Thing [VHS]
The Thing [VHS] by James Arness (VHS Tape - 1993)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (557)