Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things: 2,317 Ways to Save Money and Time
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Showing 1-10 of 111 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on August 17, 2006
I often see ads that promise you all sorts of money-saving

secrets . . . one, though, did catch my attention to the extent

that I even sent away for it: EXTRAORDINARY USES FOR

ORDINARY THINGS, published by Reader's Digest.

The top of the book promises "1,200 money-saving secrets,"

and while I don't know that I will be able to use all of them,

there were quite a lot that caught my attention--and that I might

even someday try.

For example, there was this one:

To keep ice cream smooth and free of those annoying, yucky

ice crystals that form once the container has been opened--rewrap

the container completely in plastic wrap before you return it

to the freezer. Or put the container inside a large seal-sealing

plastic bag.

And here's another that I liked:

To fix tiny holes in your window screens, just dab some clear

nail polish over the holes. It will stop those tiny (and often biting)

insects in their tracks.

I was amazed that there were so many other products that I could

use for a whole host of purposes, including bread, dental floss,

mayonnaise, oatmeal, sandpaper, and straws.

Several boxed inserts added to my enjoyment of EXTRAORDINARY

USES, such as this one that gave me background on the

development of a shampoo icon:

One of the longest-running advertising campaigns in history, "the

Break Girl," was the brainchild of Edward Breck, a member of the

in 1957. Among the models for Williams's Breck girls were

Cybill Shepherd, Kim Bassinger and Brooke Shields--all unknowns

at the time. The campaign ceased soon after Williams's death

in 1976.

Lastly, I've always heard that vinegar could be used for many

reasons other than cooking--but the total of 188 surprised

me . . . yet that said, I will now know to use the product

to steam-clean my microwave:

To clean your microwave, place a glass bowl filled with 1/4 cup vinegar

in 1 cup water inside, and zap the mixture for five minutes on the

highest setting. Once the liquid cools, dip a cloth into it and wipe off

stains and splatters.

What an idea. What a book!
22 comments|159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2006
This book is fantastic. I saved probably $50 and have only had it a month...using newspaper instead of Painter's Blue Tape alone saved me a lot of money.

I read it cover to cover in 2 days, and recommend it highly.

My only complaint is that I paid too much for it. I paid $40 for it and within 2 weeks Reader's Digest offered it for $9.99.

If you can find it for $10 or so, go for it. Excellent book chock full of useful info.
11 comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 23, 2007
I never thought I would enjoy this book as much as I have been. It is 400 pages of fun facts with all those things you would find in your home and all the normal problems you would run in to. For example, onions remove rust stains from silverware, use bananas as a face mask, nail polish to remove warts, vinegar for carpet stains and to defrost windsheilds, beer and salt to make windows frosty for the Christmas holidays, use a vacuum nozzle with a pair of pantyhose to find that valuable object on the floor without sucking it up, etc.. I love this book! =)
on March 6, 2007
You know, I paid $30.00 for this book and I have absolutely no regrets. There are so many useful tips in that book. I have read and re-read this book several times. I always refer back to it for something because I forget what to use for certain issues. Good thing they have that glossary in the back. Just look it up and you'll be directed to the page. So, I rate it 5 stars on ease of use also.

I put the book on the bookshelf once and, it may have stayed there all of 2 hours. It hasn't been back on the shelf yet. I use it too much. My favorite tip, as a gardener:

Instead of buying miniature greenhouse kits to start plants, use rolls from toilet paper, paper towels, gift wrap, and other items. Cut them down to size, fill with dirt and when you're ready to plant, simply cut down the sides and put the whole thing in the ground. Simple and inexpensive.

I have already saved more than the cost of the book. I highly recommend it.
on April 30, 2009
Excellent buy!! especially in today's economic times...it's great to be able to find inexpensive and for the most part environmentally friendly ways to get things done around the house!!! easy to use, everything is broken down by the product and it's uses, but you can use the index in the back to look up a problem and the corresponding pages with solutions.
i am very happy with this purchase, especially since i now have an excellent solution to stinky sink drains!! (baking soda and vinegar!!) there are multiple others...my mom and my best friend are already asking to borrow this!!
on March 8, 2013
I like to do things better, smarter and cheaper. I also like to make my own cleaning products to cut down on chemicals. I first checked this out at the library and saw that it had a lot of information that I knew I wanted to refer to later, so I picked up a copy from Amazon. Wish it came in electronic version...
on March 23, 2013
I LOVE THIS BOOK. I took a class recently and another student shared this with the class. The whole class was amazed at the ideas that the book provided that all of us went out and purchased a copy for ourselves. The instructor was in aggreeance as well.
on April 30, 2015
this is a wonderful little reference book my husband and I keep it in the bathroom for easy reading. You could flip to any page in this book and find useful information it's not a book that you have to read start to finish I would highly suggest this for anyone who is looking to save time and money or just be creative with their day-to-day life!
on February 4, 2014
Every home should have a copy on hand. It's fascinating to page through the endless collection of folk remedies and common sense solutions to everyday issues. This book could put Procter and Gamble out of business.
on March 9, 2014
I gave this book five stars mainly because I got a product in great condition and very, very quickly..It's a hard cover and so far has been informative. Somethings you know but there are some pretty creative ideas that will soon be put to use by ma y people as the economy sinks in deeper. Thanks to the folks at Sassy Cat for their quality and speed in delivery.