5.0 out of 5 stars Not Nickelback at all

Published on December 18, 2006 by Wiseguy 945

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Nickelback at all, May 24, 2006
Paige "Wrath" (Liberty, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Extreme Behavior (Audio CD)
While people say these guys are the clones of Nickelback, I disagree, I never mistook themfor Nickelback of even connected the two together. And if you compare lyrics and the way Austin (lead singer) sings, I have to say that they've really made their own sound and music here. They have a great collection of songs and even soem variety (though not a plethera of it). They can get inside every person that listens and they have their own sex, drugs, and rock and roll...and alcohol way to them. They are the essence of rock and roll and I think that any person into the rock genre could find these guys have a great sound

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, May 24, 2006
This review is from: Extreme Behavior (Audio CD)
If you like rock that has a meaning other than just trying to make money then you'll enjoy Hinder's freshman album entitled "Extreme Behavior". It is good to see bands playing their own songs and not stuff written by an outside song writer. Two good songs off the album are "Get Stoned" and "Lips of an Angel". "Get Stoned" is on of their more aggressive tunes that shows they can rock, while "Lips of an Angel" is more mellow and shows that their music can be listened to without getting the urge to stand up and punch someone in the face. I recommend this cd to anyone who wants to relax or has some time where they need to wind down. It drew me in due to the fact that it wasn't constant screaming and loud aggression over the microphone. This is one of the bands you can actually understand compared to the screaming lyrics of other bands. Indeed if you like the sounds of Crossfade and Nickelback then you will enjoy Hinder's "Extreme Behavior".

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, nothing that stands out big, and now so overplayed with "lips of an angel"., December 18, 2006
Wiseguy 945 (Cedar Rapids, IA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Extreme Behavior (Audio CD)
I picked this CD at the end of september the week it was released, it was on sale for 5.99 and I thought it would be something new. Its not bad, but it is no classic either. No real stand out rock songs that seperates them from the rock pack. The first song I heard on the radio was "get stoned", which isn't bad, and it peaked my interest to buy the album. But, The rest of the album is just kinda middle of the road rock, nothing special in my book. Now that "Lips of an Angel" is so overplayed, I feel the urge to destroy the album, but am holding on to it because in time the fanfare will pass. One reviewer wrote that these guys remind him of nickelback...I don't see the correlation. yeah, they are in a similar genre, but different. It is good to see a band from somewhere other than the coast, Oklahoma based Hinder does a fair job with this album, and I would like to see what the future albums will look like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing Rock Record!!!, February 13, 2006
This review is from: Extreme Behavior (Audio CD)
I wish that people would stop being so hard on these guys,Sure they sound a little like nickelback, but so what. How many bands are their out there that sound like tool or slipknot? Give these guys some credit, they actually know how to play their instruments. Just listen to "Nothing Good About Goodbye" and "Lips Of An Angel". I'm sick of people taking great rock bands like this and passing them off as simple generic radio material. Shame on all of you, I like nickelback, but i've never heard Chad Kroeger rip into a guitar solo. If you truly like good, old fashioned arena style rock music, check this out. If not, go listen to nickelback and shut the hell up. Best Songs "Lips Of An Angel", "By The Way", "Nothing Good About Goodbye" and "Get Stoned".

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good debut CD, October 16, 2005
This review is from: Extreme Behavior (Audio CD)
I heard about these guys thru of all things an email from a record company. I will have to say I was curious. When I read reviews I was definately interested. Now I have this cd and I was not disappointed. The songs are catchy and definately worthy of some airplay if the radio world will give them a try. I know that "Get stoned " is in rotation now. I am impressed with the sound. These guys are definately worth a try for someone looking for something new and different.

2.0 out of 5 stars But I remembered..., November 1, 2006
This review is from: Extreme Behavior (Audio CD)
I knew eventually I'd be tricked into buying Extreme Behavior simply because of how much attention they were getting for Lips Of An Angel. Well it happened and I'm as unimpressed as I thought I'd be. I had high hopes really, I'm mean Austin has a terrific voice and his delivery throughout the CD isn't that bad. It's the band that drags down the listen the most I think. Songs that probably should have been more midtempo are all hard. The lyrics aren't helping their case either. If you don't wanna hear a song about getting stoned or a girl, you're flat out of luck. That being said, Extreme Behavior has a couple great songs.

I don't remember hearing Get Stoned prior to buying this so I still find it to be an entertaining listen. The quick verses giving way to the powerful chorus is a nice touch. Austin's vocals are pretty great too. How Long isn't bad but definitely isn't great. By The Way is a good track where the chorus has more emotion than about half of the CD. Better Than Me is without a doubt the best thing about this CD. It's a bit like Lips Of An Angel yet so much better. Here is where Austin proves his worth, and the band surprisingly, does an incredible job of keeping it slow when it needs to be and picking up the pace at the climax of the track. Not to mention the lyrics are at a high point here. And then you have the massively popular, maybe even overplayed, Lips Of An Angel. I won't deny, I still like this song. The lyrics are fairly crappy but I really like the power ballad feel it has going for it.

While I'm thoroughly disappointed with Extreme Behavior I'll still give them a chance if they release another CD, I mean heck, topping this shouldn't be that hard. Sure it brings back that mid-90s rock feel like they said on VH1, but it doesn't seem like they tried to build upon the foundation left by bands who were so much better than Hinder. Nevertheless, if you take this for what it is, and don't go in with any expectations, you just might really enjoy this CD. I, however, see nothing here that bands like Buckcherry haven't done before Hinder. Originality is key and Hinder didn't seem to care.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Rock Album, December 27, 2006
This review is from: Extreme Behavior (Audio CD)
First, I find it quite amazing that many recent rock albums are compared to Nickleback. Who would have thought that a band that was originally criticized as sounding like others would become the very one that is compared.

Second, they do NOT sound like Nickleback. As a long-time listener to rock music, comparisons are predictable. However, all modern rock will trace to Led Zeppelin folks. If not them, than a slew of 70s rockers that fashioned the rough vocal sound, lyrical hooks, and low guitar chords. Simply put, many of the stated opinions lack serious critical recognition of influences.

Third, music is very subjective. If you like rock, this is a solid album that shouldn't disappoint. Sure, "Lips of An Angel" may have been overplayed, but so were a number of Creed songs and that did not diminish their reputation as a great rock band. Oh, I forgot, they sounded like Pearl Jam. ;-)

The bottom line is that Hinder has its own sound and should do very well assuming they continue to write these types of tunes. For the critics that don't like it, please continue to search for the obscure groups that no one else listens to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Nickelback? You'll LOVE Hinder, July 1, 2006
This review is from: Extreme Behavior (Audio CD)
Grabbing your attention with a hit like 'Get Stoned' you'll never regret buying this cd. With a sound similar to Nickelback it's no wonder they'll be touring with them later this Summer and Fall.

The track "Lips of An Angel" is one of those songs you love the first time you hear it and can't get enough of for the next few weeks. In our household it's usually being played by 2 separate family members at the same time in different areas of the house. "Homecoming Queen" is another favorite that the lyrics and music grab your attention immediately and you just fall in love with these songs!

The vocals have 'that special sound' that is different enough to distinguish immediately and make you take notice, and the lyrics are songs that everyone can relate to. You can't help picture them acted out in your head when you hear them singing "... it's kind of hard to talk right now. Honey why ya crying? Is everything ok? I've gotta whisper 'cuz I can't be too loud. My girl's in the next room.... sometimes I wish she was you."

My husband and daughter met the band and hung out with them before one of their concerts and we can vouche that these guys are not only talented in the music department, but are friendly, down to earth guys that put on no airs.

Hinder is going to be one of the top bands in America very very soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hinder is good.., September 16, 2006
This review is from: Extreme Behavior (Audio CD)
Hinder is pretty good. If they're like Nickelback, so what? As the guy said before, someone must be buying the albums, and they are all good. Hinder may not be exactly their own sound, but how easy is it to come up with your own sound these days? Just because they may not be original doesn't mean it is not good, excuse my double negative.

I picked this up after hearing the "Lips of an Angel" song on the radio, (which by the way is good, not just cause it's popular) and I believe they have songs for everyone. Songs about getting stoned, songs about love, songs about cheating, and just general good rock songs. I like the lead singer's voice as it is heavy and goes with the music well.

"Homecoming Queen" and "Bliss (I Don't Wanna Know)" are examples of their emotional side. The songs are not very original musicwise, but I enjoy listening to them. The themes aren't even original, but the band has talent, you have to admit, and the songs are enjoyable, if you like this style of music, as I do. The guitar riffs are fun and if you play guitar, easy to play along to. Not to mention, they are catchy too.

"Better Than Me" is a good example of the generic slow song on any rock band's album. It's alright, I wouldn't say it's great, but slow and soft doesn't seem to be Hinder's style.

I recommend this to anyone who yes, likes Nickelback, and anyone who likes rock and roll.

"Oh My God, It's Nickelback All Over Again! Therefore It's Not Good." Bad assumption. Your loss if you think this way. This CD rocks. Pick it up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extreme schlock vanilla rock, September 24, 2007
This review is from: Extreme Behavior (Audio CD)
Hinder prides itself as Oklahoma's horniest band. Their lyrics are about sex,drugs, and rock n'roll...but mostly about sex&drugs. There's nothing really "extreme" here except some gratuitous cussing,references to one-night stands and getting drunk.

"Get Stoned" is a bland emo boy band anthem about breakup/make-up sex,with priceless lyrics such as "The break-up is worth the make-up sex you're givin' me." "Better than me" is a "poor me" ballad that gets tons of radioplay. "By the way" has potential...but it's as bland as "Nothin' good about goodbye" and "Bliss (I don't wanna know)." "Lips of an Angel" is a heartfelt song about cheating on one's girlfriend,because "it's hard to be faithful,with the lips of an angel,it sounds so sweet." Mind you,the frontman isn't crooning this like Michael Buble or Barry Manilow,he's screaming this. "Homecoming Queen" is all about sympathy for the poor homecoming queen,who's "an angel with a dirty face." Hinder certainly has the angelic theme. "Room 21" is mainly screaming about a one-night stand with a woman who wears pink boots and red lipstick. Like pink&red are supposed to be erotic. Then again,Hinder has lyrics such as "cuz the sex is so much better when you're mad at me."

Hinder brands itself as an EXTREME,rauncy rawk band...when it turns out they're bland Nickelback impersonators/clones. The lyrics have the depth of a hormone-addled virginal teenager;sex-obsessed,definitely;erotic,definitely not. They're girl-crazy in their lyrics,but are probably pure enough to attend evangelical Purity Balls.

Extreme Behavior
Extreme Behavior by Hinder (Audio CD - 2005)