4.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable British Suspense Thriller (4.5 stars)
Published on June 2, 2002 by Tiggah

3.0 out of 5 stars Similar to the Fugitive
This was a British TV mini-series, and feels like it!

None the less, it isn't bad, with the characteristic English understatement.

It is good value, as it is long, and not available on R2 DVD. Turn off the brain, and enjoy it for the action.
Published on April 17, 2007 by Pete Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable British Suspense Thriller (4.5 stars), June 2, 2002
Tiggah "the Anglophile" (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
Extremely Dangerous is a 1999 British suspense thriller starring (and indeed created for) Sean Bean (Sharpe, Catherine Cookson's The Fifteen Streets, James Bond's Golden Eye). Bean plays Neil Byrne, a man convicted of the horrific slaying of his wife and child at their home in Manchester. Having spent a couple of years in prison, Byrne has been granted a transfer to a different prison. It is during the train journey to the new prison that Byrne manages to escape, jumping off the train. Now a fugitive, Byrne (who claims to be innocent) returns to Manchester, ostensibly to discover what really happened and who set him up (and why), and it is this process of discovery, together with the curve balls, pit falls, twists and turns that occur along the way, that comprise this 200-minute story.
The opening sequence (ie. the escape from the train en route to a prison) and the initial premise (ie. a man accused of slaying his wife and child) is very similar to that of the Harrison Ford film entitled The Fugitive. Whether or not the rest of the show is in essence a remake of The Fugitive or not, I cannot say, as it's been years since I saw the latter film.
With a mix of gangsters and government agents, in addition to the police, this is a suspense drama with a good storyline (of which I shall say no more, as I don't wish to give anything away). It requires close attention, as there is some subtlety in the method of presentation, with the viewer occasionally having to make connections that are not explicitly spelled out for him or her. Even with close attention paid, it is still a series which benefits from repeated viewings. The series is split into four 50-minute episodes. Initially, I watched it over four evenings, but I strongly suggest viewers watch it over no more than two evenings (at most) in order to keep the characters and plot straight.
Apart from Sean Bean, the show also stars Juliet Aubrey (Catherine Cookson's The Moth, Bertie and Elizabeth) as Annie, the daughter of one gangster and girlfriend of another. Though this is a drama, there is some welcome comic relief (of a very dry and ironic nature) provided by the Pakistani owner of a mini-cab agency (played by Nitin Ganatra) with whom Byrne finds employment. Personally, my favourite scenes are those between Bean and Ganatra.
All in all, this was an enjoyable mini-series, and it is certainly worth checking out if you're a fan of suspense drama in general or of Sean Bean in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Call it a thinking man's Fugitive..., September 30, 2004
This review is from: Extremely Dangerous (DVD)
This movie was a very enjoyable surprise. I bought it mainly because I adore Sean Bean and I had heard that this role was actually written for him. I was expecting to see another formulaic thriller (albeit with great scenery), but instead I was treated to an entertaining and intelligent four-hour film. As I said in the title, I consider it the thinking man's Fugitive - same general idea but with so much more depth. I'm ashamed to admit that while I'm on my third or fourth viewing I still don't completely understand all the British accents and some of the finer plot points, but that's okay. This is one movie I plan to watch many, many times. Extremely Dangerous is one of a severe minority of movies that treats the viewer like they have a brain in their heads (gasp!). It doesn't describe everything in minute detail. What a refreshing change from all the summer blockbusters that repeatedly beat you over the head with plot. This movie also is heavy on the characterization. No one-dimensional characters need apply! Neil Byrne, the protagonist, is especially appealing for his multiple layers. This is a man who can do some pretty ruthless things but he still manages to walk that fine line between good guy and villain. I liked the way the characters related to each other in realistic, and often funny and touching ways, without ever striking a false note. Overall, I gave Extremely Dangerous five stars because the writing and story were just superb. Sean Bean does his usual excellent job, not that I would expect anything less. He is entertaining and believable as a man so conflicted and tormented by forces he has no control over. This movie should be required viewing for everyone who calls themselves fans of Sean Bean in particular, or just fans of well-made thrillers in general. Five stars!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sean Bean Rocks the Screen as Usual, June 14, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Extremely Dangerous (DVD)
As a man falsely accused of something he did not do, Sean Bean, plays the divided man, the angst-ridden man to the fullest. This film was made in part for British TV, it far surpasses ALL American television show of any similar genre. If you have a problem understanding any Englishman or British series it is because you are not use to hearing their voices, and accents and basically do not know the cultural differences between our sister nation. This is what true suspense should be, and unlike American dramas of this nature someone does not die every two seconds with bad dialogue following. It has a darkness and stealth that only a British production can have, as in America dramas of the same kind it is always overkill. There is a unique plot development which is made over the 4 parts of this drama which are pieced together, which is why some other viewer thought this was slow. It was watched in the UK over 4 nights, and had character development, and a real storyline.
A gripping and amazing performance by Sean Bean, who it seems, cannot deliver anything else, and is worth every second of viewing to realize the end. He is made for this kind of role. Simply made for it, and not bad on the eyes either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Dangerous Extremely Entertaining, November 5, 2006
This review is from: Extremely Dangerous (DVD)
Well-written, fast-paced thriller, and very well-acted -- all the characters, not just the "stars", have depth and dimension. One of the best-made tv-movies I have ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sean Bean delivers a splendid performance, June 24, 2010
This review is from: Extremely Dangerous (DVD)
I bought Extremely Dangerous on the basis of two things...I like Sean Bean as an actor, especially when one can get him out of the rut of villainous roles, and the recommendations on Amazon.com. I have watched it several times and enjoyed it each time. Mr. Bean gives a great performance, the movie clips right along. The acting in roles large and small are excellent, especially the Pakistani taxi dispatcher. I have advised others to buy this movie and they have enjoyed it too. The story line is excellent and yes, it reminds one of The Fugitive, but only on the surface. I would prefer a tish more resolution in the ending, but I can't overly quibble about it. I would highly recommend this as one of Mr. Beans best works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Dangerous, June 7, 2008
This review is from: Extremely Dangerous (DVD)
Great movie. Although not as fast paced as many action movies and it does have similarities to "The Fugitive" I enjoyed it. If I have one small complaint it was the accents and colloquilisms are so thick at time I had a little trouble understanding it. I actually would have liked the option for subtitles, unfortunatly for the hearing impaired as well this is not an option. This is a bare bones DVD. It is a long movie and a little editing may have trimmed the runtime but I was never disappointed in the acting or story. Fans of Sean Bean should definitely catch it. Decent quality DVD, no extras, reasonable replayability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man with the Golden Arm, British style., December 3, 2012
This review is from: Extremely Dangerous (DVD)
Very well done. Fine acting, solid story line and overall well done. If you love a mystery and cheering for the underdog, go for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Similar to the Fugitive, April 17, 2007
This review is from: Extremely Dangerous (DVD)
This was a British TV mini-series, and feels like it!

None the less, it isn't bad, with the characteristic English understatement.

5.0 out of 5 stars sucks you in, January 10, 2007
This review is from: Extremely Dangerous (DVD)
got this because it has Sean Bean in it. and a lot of his better work in on region 2 dvd, my dvd player is only region 1. It is an excellent movie over all. The acting is excellent all the way around. We totally enjoyed it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Hoped For, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Extremely Dangerous (DVD)
This movie promises a lot and it delivers... sort of.
For anyone who is interested (as I was) what this film is rated, it is definitely R. I bought this movie reluctantly because I couldn't find it to rent or discover what it was rated. I hoped for the best, but was disappointed by all of the unnecessary bedroom scenes of which I think there were at least four or five.
The principal character Neil Byrne (Sean Bean) is intriguing and the storyline keeps you guessing as much from the twists as from the barely intelligible British accents. As a study of British accents it is interesting.
Everyone in the interviews raved about the female lead, but I thought she was kind of deadpan and uninteresting. Sort of like Julia Ormond in Sabrina and First Knight. I think that the Indian cab driver made the scenes in which he appeared seem more human and less contrived.
I can't remember if the soundtrack was any good which is saying something, because I normally have my radar on for that sort of thing.
The action/fight scenes are pretty cool, but I had to laugh at how the hero is portrayed whenever he gets back to his apartment: Shirtless. This fact alone makes the point of the movie quite obvious. This isn't an enduring classic that causes you to better yourself. It is simply another piece of crowd-pleasing trash that appeals to one's emotions and senses by turns. There is no elevated sentiment to be found in this film unless it is that of Neil's desperate search to find out what happened to his loved ones.
It was a complete waste of my limited time and so, rather than inflict my DVD on someone else, I believe I am going to throw it away.

Extremely Dangerous
Extremely Dangerous by Juliet Aubrey (DVD - 2002)
Used & New from: $4.99