Extremist
Format: MP3 MusicChange
Price:$8.99

on March 22, 2014
I know a lot of people say Demon Hunter is great because they're brutal, and this CD sucks because its soft and has a ton of ballads. Well, I actually never thought DH was brutal. They're a very artistic, melodic band that produces beautiful metal with ballads and such, while still retaining the ability to have a harsh, but not "brutal" sound. For that, I give you Deathcore, which I actually don't like very much. Ryan Clark is a very versatile singer, like Bjorn Strid and Christian Alvestam, and he makes this band unique. This album is different, but its as good as any other because DH is the rare band that makes good albums consistently enough that a argument for which album is their best would have like, 6 entries.

Songs to listen to:
Artificial Light: Some nice clean vocals couple with a harsher metalcore sound than Demon Hunter uses in the majority of the album.
I Will Fail You: Among an album of lots of ballads, this one is among the best. Great singing.
Gasoline: Another ballad of sorts, with a really cool guitar riff and vocal shout for a hook
Heart Of A Graveyard: Great ending track, with really cool synthesized sounds along with a good instrumental performance and vocal work.

Overall, Extremist IS a bit softer, but its softer done right, and I'm starting to think that this is my fave DH album. For now, consider this a 4.5 rating.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2014
I could have written this review before I got the CD in the mail. I've never bought a Demon Hunter CD only to be disapointed. In fact, Demon Hunter is one of the few bands I BUY CDs from. A few songs took me a listen or two to get into, but most of them were brilliant. Perfect timing. I listened to this CD on the way to work and got stuck in traffic. Good thing I don't have road rage :-).

Seriously, I listened to the lyrics and sang along and it was almost like HEAVY METAL for the soul.

I'm not a man with words, so I'll just leave it at that.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I loved, and still love True Defiance, and had a hard time believing Demon Hunter could top it. After all it was so Brutal and Heavy. I loved Artificial Light when I heard it, and liked Last one Alive but then was kind of disappointed by I will fail you. Not that I will fail you is a bad song, it's just that each song released got softer and softer and I was worried their would not be that many heavy songs on this album. Not to worry though their is plenty of heaviness on this album and it has a great flow to it. Each song is well played quality metal!!!!!! My favorite songs are Artificial Light, What I'm Not, One Last Song, Cross To bear, In Time, Beyond Me and my Favorite hands down is Gasoline which is Awesome!!!!!!! Heart of a Graveyard is good too with a sweeet mix of melody and heavy. The Album has a great flow to it from start to finish and there is no song that is not good. You can listen all the way through and be satisfied with everything on tap. I shouldn't have worried after all this is Demon Hunter and they are Awesome!!!!! Does it top True Defiance I don't know. All I know is that Gasoline is one of my new favorite songs, and it would sound good played between Someone to Hate, and Cross To Bear followed by Crucifix. If you love Metal get both Extremist and True Defiance!!!!!!
on March 19, 2014
I was so ready to bash this album, expecting another True Defiance (worst DH album IMO). My expectations were not any higher after hearing Artificial Light. But I bought it cuz I'm a fan and dude... this one rivals TWIAT on many levels. So heavy and dark! I love me some DH ballads but I thought the trend was getting old so I'm glad they juiced it up.

Gasoline is mad hype!!

Anyway, long story short, excellent album, if you're a fan definitely pick this one up, you won't be disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2014
Solid album with songs that keep you coming back to listen. Been a fan of Demon Hunter for a while and this is a good addition to the discography.
on March 21, 2014
As a long-time diehard fan of DH, i think this album is really solid, and a great follow-up to True Defiance. With incredible songs like Artificial Light, What I'm Not, and I Will Fail You, DH doesn't lose any of their momentum gained from True Defiance. After fixing the rather disappointing The World is a Thorn with True Defiance, Demon Hunter is experimenting with new sounds and topics.

Overall they seem to be drifting in a more ballad-oriented direction, and are becoming more and more technical. I think this album takes inspiration from melodic death metal, pop metal, and bits of thrash thrown around.

However, like all of their albums, it's not perfect. Demon Hunter copies the structure of their older albums by having 8 out of 10 of their songs be fantastic, and a few others being rather meh. I didn't like Cross To Bear; I thought that although it's easily the heaviest and thrashiest song on the album, it tends to be extremely repetitive and drone on and on. Other songs like Hell Don't Need Me, One Last Song, and In Time just felt lackluster; kind of pointless in lyrical quality and lacking in musical catchiness.

Don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic album. 4 out of 5 because it could be improved, and I expect that Demon Hunter's next album will have all of the great stuff about this one, and none of the drags. Did I mention the artwork? I think it's the coolest design they've done! This album is totally worth buying.
on March 21, 2014
For the past 3 DH releases, I've stayed up to listen to the full album right at midnight. This album reminded me of the last one in the sense that I listened to the first song as was disappointed, thinking to myself ... "this is definitely not what I expected."

Funny thing is that their albums are always a bit unexpected. The first listen is always a surprise and so everything sounds "different" than expected. As I got to the last two songs, I had really begun to sink in that "This is a great album." Both lyrically and musically, it has that bold and brutally honest approach that is filled with raw emotion - something that DH manages to pull off on every album to date. Their ballads and their heavier stuff together give a great balance across the entire album, and it symbolizes the human element through our ups and downs.

Definitely worth buying!
on March 27, 2014
Ok, I have a habit of looking at negative reviews of albums first because sometimes I feel that the positive reviews can be obnoxiously “glowing” when that may not be completely deserved. So, I read the negatives about Extremist and felt that they sounded legitimate and I was a little discouraged. However, I wanted to support Demon Hunter (loved them since Summer of Darkness) so I bought the album anyway and figured $10 wasn’t too much to gamble on something I may or may not like. Having said that, I can tell you that I now have more of an understanding for how completely subjective musical tastes can be. Since buying this album, to the chagrin of my poor family, I CAN’T STOP PLAYING IT! One of the criticisms of Extremist is that there are too many ballads and that it doesn’t sound like some of their earlier albums. I have to say that one of my favorite things about Demon Hunter is that they can thrash AND have meaningful ballads that are heartfelt and beautiful. They actually will do that in the same song and that is something I personally hope they NEVER change. Extremist, to me, has the best of both worlds and almost every single song is so catchy and interesting that I am not bored even after numerous listens. That, to me, is a successful album. No disrespect meant to any of the other reviewers, but I totally realize now that musical tastes can run the gambit and I can’t rely on what other people think or expect from their favorite bands. Demon Hunter can continue to experiment and develop and I will continue to support them.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I told a friend at work "Got the new Demon Hunter album. It's good."
He said, "Ok. I'm gonna have to pick that up."
Not enough for you? Ok, here's more:
I think as Demon Hunter continues, their sound kind of evolves for lack of a better term. They get older as I get older. More singing and not as much growling. It works for me, either way. Don't get me wrong. I think it got 4 stars instead of 5 because I really like the growling, super heavy, crunchy stuff. But if they want to mix it up a bit and try some new things, to me, they did just that and it's fine with me.
I think Ryan Clark's singing is great and maybe, through the years, he has gotten more comfortable with his voice? Not saying he never did, but maybe that's the thing with the more singing on the album.
To sum up this rambling, I really liked the album. I love Demon Hunter period. From the first album until now I don't really think I've heard a bad song from them. But this is coming from a Demon Hunter fanboy (since 2001). If you want more of an objective point of view I'm sure there are some reviews below or above me. But as for me personally, this is a good album and will tide me over until the next one, I'm sure. Kudos to the band. They knocked another one out of the park.
on July 8, 2014
I've been a fan of DH since their first album back in 2002 and was even looking forward to the band back when they were all mysterious and trying not to let people know who their identities were but the rumors went around fast that they were a super group of former Christian band artists from various projects. Demon Hunter blew me away with their self-titled release. They had early signs that they were capable of blending heavy/brutal metal with some powerful, emotional and softer guitar riffs or acoustic ballads early on, so this album (sadly) comes as no surprise as the band takes a mellow, natural turn into territory they've been creeping into over the years on previous albums with fewer heavier songs and more lighter/radio-friendly ballad songs.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed Extremist (their 7th studio release to date), but don't expect the Demon Hunter frojm the first couple of albums. Expect the Demon Hunter from the last few albums but with even less metal. It's not a total loss, however, as they manage to pound out a couple of bangers here and there (Cross to Bear being the heaviest/in-your-face song on the album), and Demon Hunter can mix the heavy with the melodic very well, so while there's a lot more if it- it's not terrible.

The style on some songs (Heart of a Graveyard) has some HIM influence or sound, and the level of emotion in this album seems to be more real than ever; songs like I Will Fail You and The Last One Alive showcase Ryan Clark's ability to write lyrics that are not only artistic and poetic but down to earth and identifiable to Christian believers/fans while also being common enough to be understood by non-believers as well without being "preachy".

The album, Extremist, is titled so with a concept that Christians in society today are being labeled more and more as bigots, close-minded, hate-filled, right-wing radicals or "extremists" for their views on social hot button issues that liberal/progressive society is leaning further towards every day. The message of the Bible is clear, and to me, Clark is speaking of not compromising in the face of this adversity since the direction of society in it's humanistic views is obviously not making room for Christianity even though "tolerance" is a two way street (The Last One Alive). Christians are being labeled and targeted more and more and it
s becoming next to impossible to express your 1st amendment right to religion without repercussions of losing a job, being slandered in the media or bullied, so it's easy to see a society where Christianity becomes illegal & "archaic" with believers being persecuted, imprisoned and executed like in third world countries where socisalism & communism reigns & any religious freedom beyond what the govt. dictates is punishable without a trial or defense.

I love how bold DH is on this subject, as they have always been real and up front on their religious beliefs and how they view being examples to fans and inspiring people through their message in the songs they produce, while also being humble and acknowledging their human being sinners at the same time (I Will Fail You).

I'm personally disappointed that they are becoming more mellow in their style, but I'm still enjoying it, so I can't complain. It's been a great ride so far on the DH express- lots of great songs over the years!