Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Extremist
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:$8.84+ $3.99 shipping

on March 16, 2000
I have and love every Joe Satriani album recorded except for his latest "Engines", which is in the mail. The reason I feel this is Joe's best album is not because his best song is on it, but because the album as a whole flows nicely. There are plenty of shredding appregios and scales, such as "The Extremist", "Motorcycle Driver", and "War", and there are tunes that are more harmonic than melodic like "Why", as well as songs that are just about everything in between like "Summer Song". I must admit, the song "Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness" brings a tear to my eye when I hear the acoustic guitars. You'll love this album because if you want to hear something that shreds, it's there. If you want to hear something that soothes, it's there. Pick this one up as Joe's paramount album.
on January 26, 2005
Wow. I bought this album about a year ago, and it remains my absolute favorite guitar album, bar none. It must have stayed in my 5-disc CD player for like three months, and it has lingered nearby ever since. I love that guitar takes center stage and you don't get tired of the album due to the lyrics, because there arn't any! There are numerous songs that could be singles here, and only a few of the songs, and only a few songs that I don't get excited about. Most of the songs are high energy and overwhelmingly succeed at showcasing Satriani's mastery of the guitar, and musicality within the most, ah. . .extreme musical context. As of yet, I have not found another high-energy electic guitar album that remotely approaches this one as an album.
on December 24, 2004
According to the album liner notes Joe plays guitar, banjos, dobros, keyboards, harmonica, mandolin, synth, and bass on this album. The liner notes have a lot of interesting photos of Joe and his band, plus some art work by Joe. The Bissonette brother's, Matt on bass and Greg on drums who were in David Lee Roth's solo band after he left Van Halen in the Mid to late 1980s, play on most of the songs. This album has the hit single "Summer Song". People who like Hard Fast Blues and Melodic rock will also like the songs: "The Extremist", "War", "Why", and "MotorCycle Driver". They may also like the mid-tempo "Friends".
on June 6, 2016
You already know who Joe is, he's one of the best. This early 90's cd of his is remastered and a consistently entertaining one. It's not that I don't like his work after The Extremist, but I find this to be the last of his rock era. The title track and War get play at least once every week or two.
on May 23, 2014
This was the first album Satriani recorded with a real band (prior to it, he used to record bass lines, and use a drum machine). Recording with a real band has made Satriani's music sound a lot more organic. I really like how the songs here aren't just a display of virtuosity with million notes played by second... simple melodies intertwined with Satriani's amazing control of the more technical things make this album a must-have to any guitar fan out there. I had this CD back when it was released in 1992, but lost my CD years ago, and just got the digital download now. This album has survived the test of time for me, and sounds as great and relevant as it did 22 years ago.
on November 23, 2004
Thanks for reading.

I have all the Joe Satriani collection. This is without the doubt my favourite, equally with " Crystal Planet"

This one maybe just gets the edge, due to the sheer number of emotion evoking tracks.

I also think this album is very underrated- not just here in Australia, but around the world.

I have heard " Summer Song" accompanied a commercial in the US- But I can't recall seeing that one in the land of OZ.

What a brilliant track and great clip too! Had no idea it was so commercial. " Summer Song" contains some of the best sliding down the scale hammer-ons and pull-offs I've ever heard. They are so dynamic. Oh how I wish I could play that well...!

Joe really is at his evocative best on this album.

The highlights are: " War" . Not since " Driving at night " has a song been so well aptly named by Joe. I can picture tanks thundering across the desert in Gulf War 1 when I hear this.

This is smoking! Unreal distortion, feedback, Wah wah pedal and breathtaking light speed guitar solos. One of my all time great songs.

" Cryin " is absolutely heartwrenching. A brilliant ballad, and one of the few Satch songs I can duplicate ( reasonably well ) on guitar myself. Dripping with emotion, that's hard to copy when you play this. Superby done.

" Rubina's Blue Sky happiness " is more goosebump material. This send shivers down my spine. It is brilliant!

This is another song written for his wife. Some more lovely acoustic work combines well with the electric. Very emotional song which comes out well when you listen.

Oh how I can't wait 'til Joe brings out an acoustic album!

"Tears in the rain" is just one of these, an acoustic- another beautiful slower track, done so well by the master.

Wish he'd do more of these.

" Why?" is another mind- blowing experience. Stunning harmonics start the track, which has one of the best beats I have ever heard from Joe.

Blistering, string tearing solo- what a ride!

And what an experience this album is.

For me it took about 9 or 10 listens to really start to like this one. So if you've only heard it a few times- give it a few more listens to really appreciate it. Once it hits you, you will never look back!

Do yourself a favour, if you haven't tried this album, give it a go. It truly is cutting edge, creative guitar, light years ahead of anyone else!

Essential guitar for your collection!

Joe is "the extremist".

Thanks for reading
on October 20, 2013
This CD is an older solo effort by Joe Satriani with some hard driving rock and some elements of classical music. It makes for good listening in the car or for after dinner at a party.
Joe Satriani currently plays with Chickenfoot with lead singer Sammy Haggar. I recommend that as well.
on April 28, 2013
I accidentally discovered Joe Satriani when I bought a cassette with the Silver Surfer on the cover, at the time I was a comic book collector. Little did I know that I would love his style of music, now I am back tracking for all his cd's. This cd was in great condition and came very quickly.
on February 18, 2013
I recommend this cd for joe satriani fans just for the songs , the extremist, and summer song alone, I got this cd on it's estimated delivery date. Plays great, Packaged Great would by from this dealer again .
on January 28, 2004
When I heard 'cryin'' I couldnt stop listening to it. I was amazed at how much emotion he could pack into just one song. Cryin was the first Joe song I had ever heard. And I couldnt even imagine what his other stuff sounded like. I went ahead and bought The Extremist which turned out to be a musicians dream. I started the album out by "Friends." This song made me feel the same way about cryin' but had a light feel to it and very beautiful. I still wonder how can he make it to be so melodic and tasteful. Rubina's Blue sky happiness, New Blues, War, the Extremist are all pieces of art. I could go one forever telling you how much this album has changed my view of music, but I will let you discover the surprise yourself.

Highlight of this album: Rubina's blue sky happiness