Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

on December 9, 2009
Authors and publishers are so clever these days about finding great new ways to get kids interested in reading. Talk about making a book truly interactive! This one comes with two pairs of 3-D glasses neatly tucked in a pocket on the inside cover. Don't lose them - you'll need these wild glasses to make the animals leap right off the pages.

Phantograms are a form of an optical illusion. The illusion of depth is produced with a combination of two images that appear smudged (or as this book calls it, "a blurry mess") to the naked eye. Once you don the special specs however, the color filtering power of the glasses makes the image appear to be three dimensional! To kids, this bit of science translates to be really, really cool.

Not just a barrage of fancy photos, this book is also chock full of valuable information for exactly twenty-eight types of pets. A full page of information is provided on each animal, including instructions on how to care for that pet, habits, temperaments and helpful hints. You actually get a sense of what it would be like to own each animal - before you really do own that animal.

Of course, the big hook here is the 3D glasses and really neat rise-from-the-pages animals. But this is also a great resource when your family just isn't sure which pet would be the best fit for your household. Thinking about getting a potbellied pig? Maybe you didn't know that they are easy to train and can be taught lots of fun tricks. Or is a leopard gecko more your speed? Be careful not to grab that little guy by the tail, as it will break right off. Read about those animals, plus Guinea pigs, ferrets, frogs, parrots, tarantulas and more.

Overall, this is a wonderful book on household animals that will capture (and hold) the attention of children of many ages. Great photography, a neat use of science and just plain useful information will get your kids immersed in learning as much as they can about these animals. Just don't lose the glasses!
on March 7, 2011
WOW!! That's what you will say when you stare at these amazing pics in this book. It is truly eye popping!! oh my goodness. This book is the best 3D effect that I've ever seen close up like this. I found myself staring at all the details in the photos. Not just the adorable animals and the details of their fur and bodies but also the grass they sit on, the hay, the dandelions!! This book is a joy to experience with your children and it provides TWO pairs of sunglasses for just that purpose! WOW.
on January 29, 2010
I love this book! The images are truly "eye-popping"
I plan to share this book with my niece who loves animals, but struggles with her reading skills. I feel this book may encourage her to battle her negative feelings towards books in general!
on December 10, 2012
This book is lot of fun. My 8 yr old kid loves it from day one. This book is better than I thought, very nice buy for the price.
on January 28, 2012
Max star rating on this one.
This book was so MUCH better than I could ever have imagined...
You won't believe your eyes.
If you make sure the book is quite flat against a hard flat surface, those pictures will coalesce into three dimensional images that rise right up off the pages.
(Liked being able to wave my hand right through them, too, as if it is a ghost!!)
It is unfortunate that there is no way I know of to photograph what you will see when you open this book with the glasses on.
LOTS of pics, and not just pets.
Excellent entertainment value for everyone, any age.
Put a smile on a friends face with this book, real fast.
Extra glasses are available cheap online if you or damage them.
on January 15, 2013
I am a librarian. Our children do love these 3d books. as you can imagine the glasses, if they get returned, are very worn. I need to have a source to replace them. We have tried a few but seem to have the wrong color lenses. The book does not specify. I would like it if the publisher would put a note in letting the buyer know where these can be replaced.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2010
I just got this book to share with my niece and nephews. I can't believe my eyes! It's great! I could not be happier. Great for 1 on 1 time with a child. Just remember if you wear glasses you will need them also. This book is great for any age!
on March 25, 2010
The book has printed with poor quality. Or the glasses inside doesn't have the right lenses: 3D effect is not good, with a lot of ghosting effect.
on January 6, 2013
I purchased this for my Granddaughter for Christmas! She loves this book! I was so happy with the quick service, delivery and quality of my purchase! Thank you, so much!
on August 22, 2011
My 4 yers old kid never stops looking with those 3-D glasses... She loved it! Great! Very educational and interesting book indeed. Really amazing. Highly recommended.