- Explore more great deals on thousands of titles in our Deals in Books store.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Eye of The Needle Paperback – Bargain Price, January 1, 2005
|New from||Used from|
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
"Follett is a master." -- Time
"Heart-stopping, nerve-freezing...Truly suspenseful...Extraordinarily satisfying." -- -- Los Angeles Times
"Thrilling." -- -- The New York Times Book Review --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
About the Author
Ken Follett's career as a bestselling author has spanned more than three decades. He is the author of numerous immensely popular books, including Eye of the Needle, Triple, The Key to Rebecca, The Man From St. Petersburg, On Wings of Eagles, Lie Down With Lions, The Pillars of the Earth, A Dangerous Fortune, The Third Twin, The Hammer of Eden, and World Without End. He lives in England with his wife, Barbara Follett, a British M.P.--This text refers to an alternate Paperback edition.
More About the Author
Amazon Author Rankbeta(What's this?)
Top Customer Reviews
Here are some reasons to read THE EYE OF THE NEEDLE:
(1) PRECISION: you like reading about cool, precise heroes or anti-heroes or villains who are painfully precise in their plans, the best at what they do and are totally "stone cold.";
(2) WWII BUFF: you love to read about the "big thrills" of WWII; this has it since the German spy discovers D-Day plans and tries to get back to Germany to warn the High Command (i.e. his tap was taken after he was shortly exposed);
(3) TAUT THRILLS: if this turns you on, Follet is right up there with Forsythe, Higgins and other masterful spy thriller novelists.;
(4) MOVING LOVE/LUST TALES: Follet has always been unusually good at the subplot love stories in his tales; the intimacy level is higher than some people encounter in their real lives; the details of the lovemaking is hot. I still remember, at one point, the female interest asks the male love interest why he never married and he replied to something along the lines as: "I never loved any woman enough to marry them."; and
(5) LOTS OF COMPLICATIONS FOR THE CHARACTERS: especially for the villain who seems to overcome almost all of them.
Follet also does a good job of centering the story on the villain so that you like him and then switching over to another character later. The transition works for a number of reasons but saying more would spoil the story.
Sadly, Eye of the Needle is a bit of a mess in my opinion. From the get go it jumps around from one scene to the next with little in the way of transition. So though time is going by quickly at times, it is a little startling to find out several pages into a chapter that months have transpired when you think what you are reading is taking place only hours later. This is a very short book in comparison to Night over Water and a short story in comparison to Pillars in the Earth. And I think that it suffers a little because in all honesty, this might be the most complicated of the three stories. I wish that Follett had been a little more comfortable and taken his time fleshing out events, plots,and places.
This book is not a total disaster. You will come up against a myriad of familiar Follettisms. The characters area formed much like they are in other books so it will feel almost like you know them. Lusty scenes pop up every fifty pages like clockwork, and the writing is vintage Follett. If you love his books, this is not one to shy away from. But if this might be your first Follett experience, I would say "look for Pillars in the Earth instead. I guarantee you a better, more satisfying page turner."
Most Recent Customer Reviews
very exciting, on the edge of your seat book. quick easy readPublished 2 days ago by Amazon Customer
Great read. I love the way the author threads actual historical facts in the story. I am going back and reading all of his books!Published 7 days ago by R. Hill
This was a really thought out and planned book until the end. I loved the book. The characters were great. I felt like I had to keep reading it to see what happens. Read morePublished 10 days ago by Jerry S