Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One (Wheel of Time Other)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 21, 2011
I must preface this by admitting that I am a Wheel of Time collector: Hardcovers, paperbacks, British editions, young adult editions, you name it. I even thought that The World of the Wheel of Time was great, despite the horrific character artwork. So for me to give this five stars might not be as weighty as a New York Times Book Review, but I will at least explain in my attempt to help guide people in whether or not they should spend their $ for this.

If you're not a Wheel of Time fan, you should pick up the "regular" book first (that would be The Eye of the World). It's not that you'd be lost if you read this -- the story is pretty easy to pick up (the graphic novel covers the first 147 pages of the paperback, plus the prologue and also the "Ravens" prologue seen in the YA edition). It's just that I don't think it would mean as much.

To fans of WOT -- which is probably most of you -- I would say grab it, with one caveat. The characters and places will often not look as they do in your head, possibly to your lessened enjoyment. But how can they? People even disagreed with Robert Jordan on how to pronounce some character names, so how can we agree on how Rand al'Thor is supposed to look? But that's where I got some of my enjoyment. Even though I've still never seen a satisfactory Trolloc, it's worth it to see other people's interpretations of RJ's work, even if it might disagree with mine.

Having said that, what about specifics? Following the basic character descriptions in the books, they get them right. They have their basic traits; of course, if they were going to do this project at all, they had *better*. Rand is tall and has red hair, Nynaeve has her braid, and Moiraine wears blue (although sometimes I have trouble telling Mat and Perrin apart). But even more: Cenn Buie looks just as old and cranky as he should, Lews Therin looks sad and demented at the same time, and I happen to think that Thom's coat looks perfect.

I don't always agree with the artists' choices. Sometimes the late-teen Egwene looks younger than her 9-year-old self, and I wish they would've drawn a Draghkar up close. But like I said, the mind's eye. My housemate, a WOTfreak too, didn't like how some of the background faces were half-drawn, but that didn't bother me.

There are bonus materials that might help you decide: a cover gallery that includes a full-page portrait of the 13 Forsaken (they're not labeled, which is kind of annoying as Mesaana and Moghedien look almost identical), and bonus character sketches, including some for people not even in this book (Min, Loial), giving hope that there will be more to come.

If nothing else, you'll get your money's worth if you read it, share it with another WOTmaniac, and spend awhile arguing about it.

My rating: 5 out of 5 (and yes, I'll buy a British edition if they slap a different cover on it)
55 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2011
First off, I wish to say that I love the Wheel of Time, that said, there are a few things that I liked and disliked about this graphic novel.

Likes:
I found that the storytelling in this Eye of the World Volume 1 was far superior to that of the New Spring graphic novel. In this volume, someone with little prior knowledge of the series could figure out what was happening (which was not possible with New Spring).
I also liked some of the artwork for certain character. For instance, I found that Egwene, Mat, Lan, Moiraine and Nynaeve had really nice character designs designs (but I found their noses changed on different pages).
I thought that many of the scenes had some excellent forms of mood. For instance, I found the death of Lews Therin was Adequately disturbing and cool, Rand's trudge through the forest was adequately melancholy, and the tale of Moiraine to the townspeople was well done.

Dislikes:
I found that the artwork for several characters was slightly disturbing and inaccurate. Many of the older people in the story looked like homeless people, with gaps in their teeth and wrinkles a mile long. I felt that the way they showed Thom when he was first seen was terrible, because he looked old and frail. I also feel that many of the pictures of Padan Fein looked more like I imagined him after he was mad then before.
This is another thing I do not like about the artwork, I found that the scenes where saidar or saidin was present were sorely lacking. Gone are the cool pictures where each of the five elements was visible, now its just that they are using the true source (but I did like how traveling was portrayed)

Overall, I liked this graphic novel, yet I felt that there were several inconsistencies in the artwork (which I did not mention) and some sub-par artwork that detract from the experience
on July 4, 2012
I was so glad when all the details and conflicts had been settled between Tor and the producers of the comics based on the Wheel of Time series. Being a big fan of the series, I had been trying to find the comics as they came out, but only ended up with the first three. After that, all went silent for years.

When I found out that Dynamite Entertainment had picked up the contract from the Abel brothers, I was excited to see what they had put together. The artwork is consistently good. However, the details are not as vivid as the first few chapters of A New Spring. Each character is easy to distinguish from the others - which is very helpful considering the 1,000s of characters that are part of this story. Overall the artwork is high level comic book.

The writing is very well done. It stays very consistent to the original books. I haven't read the original in over 10 years, so this graphic novel version was a great refresher course. It reminded me on several occassions of things I had forgotten.

Overall - I recommend this to all of Robert Jordan's fans. This is an excellent way to read this story in a new light.
on July 21, 2012
One of my great frustrations is that it was "Game of Thrones" that a team of producers decided to bring to TV and not Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time." I've been hooked on Jordan's series since high school and, for me, the greatest appeal to it are the many strong female characters. The women in Jordan's series are, more often than not, well-respected leaders. They are not submissive.

But because we have yet to see "The Wheel of Time" in either TV or movie form, we have to settle for the new graphic novel version to see if all the things we imagined while reading the books were all the things everyone else saw as well.
This first part of "The Eye of the World" covers Rand and Tam's journey to Emond's Field, the introduction of the big players, the attack on the farm and ends with Rand's decision to leave home.

Overall, this graphic novel works as a simple visualization of the novel. The artwork is a bit juvenile. Matt, Rand and Perrin seem under drawn while others like Thom and Cenn Buie are shown with every crag on their gnarly faces. The dialogue matches the original novel closely, but I felt the inclusion of narration to some of the action scenes was unnecessary. Let the pictures speak for themselves.

I don't feel I wasted my money here, but I do wish that the artist had taken more risks.
on October 4, 2013
It's not quite the same as reading the actual book, which has been quite some time ago for me. I found the graphics a little too stylized and made it harder to actually see what was going on. Very dark look to the pictures. I had to go back and look at pictures more than once to figure out who was who and what was going on. Overall, it's nice to have some pictures, but I would stick with the actual novel to read for the first time and use the graphic novel as a way to go back and get a short version of the book later.
on November 5, 2015
I love the WOT saga and this comic (the vol 1) seems a good representation in graphics and content. It's entertaining, has suspense, follows the book and shows most of the twists ;) However, I recommend to read the full book when you can ;) Comics and books always will present different depts of the history. And this history deserves a full dive ;) I can't wait to read the second volume. Enjoy!
on February 13, 2013
This is a great introduction to the series. For anyone trying to get someone else into the WoT, this quite possibly the best way to do it. The art direction is phenomenal and the authors really do a fantastic job of summarizing Jordan's work. For fans of the series, it is definitely worth revisiting the beginning in graphic novel format.
on December 26, 2012
I love Robert Jordan and I love Chuck Dixon (well known for his work on Batman Knightfall as well as his work on the current IDW G.I.Joe). Also check out his graphic novelization of Tolkein's "The Hobbit".
on September 30, 2012
FIrst off I want to start by saying that I'm new to graphic novels but this particular read has made me happy that I have got into them. I love fantasy novels and am a big time Ice & Fire fan by George RR Martin so "The Eye of the World" stood out to me. I have not read any of the Wheel of Time novels to compare the two but I can say that both the story and illustrations are amazing.

If you're someone that loves both fantasy and comics than this is a can't miss as far as I'm concerned. I just ordered Vol. 2 in the series and can't wait to start that.

Only complaint I have is that when I ordered the book the last 15-20 pages at the top were all damaged. As a collector I was very upset about this as I like to have my books/novels in perfect condition.
on September 28, 2011
If you enjoyed the wheel of time series, and you enjoy comics this book is a must have. It is not the entire first book, only the first 7 chapters or so. Still they remain true to the overall feel and story and really remind you of why you love the books.