4.0 out of 5 stars Works great
I bought this for two purposes:
- digitize old VHS family videos to bring them into the internet age
- be able to watch TV in a room where there's a projector and computer but no TV tuner

Published on May 24, 2010 by metamatt

1.0 out of 5 stars buy this at your own risk - remember you've been warned
Published on January 28, 2011 by J. Horne

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, May 24, 2010
metamatt (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EyeTV Hybrid (2010) - Hybrid TV tuner stick for Mac & PC (Personal Computers)
I bought this for two purposes:
- digitize old VHS family videos to bring them into the internet age

It works great for the 2nd one and while I haven't gotten to the first project yet, it came with the necessary cables and I trust that (easier) task will go just fine.

The EyeTV software was able to find a few dozen channels on my low-end cable plan, identify the stations, and let me browse by channel or by the program guide. (It lists channels by the station FCC identification, but it would be more useful if it also showed any network affiliation; sometimes I want to say "show me the local ABC station" and not remember "KGO-TV".) This works out pretty well as long as I use the builtin program guide, which is free for the first year and $20/year after that; it'll probably get less useful if I don't pay to renew that subscription in a year.

It's nice being able to select shows from a menu, schedule them for recording, and watch a show after it's started and while it's being recorded (all this modern stuff that anyone who already had a DVR will take for granted, but it's new to me and works well here).

The only downside I've found is that the software is slow (it uses pretty much the whole CPU while watching video, and while the video window is onscreen, the rest of the EyeTV app is sluggish to respond to my mouse input). At times, the video stream will stutter or drop frames. FWIW I'm using this with a recent (2009 model) Mac Mini, with a Core 2 Duo processor running Snow Leopard, at 720p (1280x720) screen resolution. It works fine, but just barely; it feels like the machine is creaking at the seams.

I'll also note that it uses amazingly little CPU while recording TV in the background (I guess it just saves the encoded stream away, directly from the cable company, without decoding or decompressing it?), but as soon as I show the video onscreen, it uses most of the available CPU capacity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, June 17, 2010
A "computer-friend" of mine recommended this device to me which left me a bit hesitant because he tends to pick technical things that I can't stand to work with (still insists that I use ogg vorbis and flac files instead of Mp3s!) when I said I wanted to start making my video tapes into files for my computer. Sure enough the Hyrbid was less expensive than some of the other devices I looked into that transfered tapes so I bought it. I was really surprised at what a brainless process it was to make digital recordings from old tapes. I'm not that great with imovie but I have loads of stuff to work with now from my old tapes...it's a project I have been meaning to do for ages. I know this device is supposed to be for TV viewing but I just have found the analog to digital aspect to make it alone worth the purchase. a purchase I am very happy with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, December 25, 2011
This works perfectly using their Elegato software on Mac. You just plug it in, hook up an antenna or cable (Although I don't have cable), and scan for channels. Same process as setting up a new TV. I have a 27" 1080p monitor and HD broadcasts like primetime shows or NBA looks amazing. I would highly recommend getting this. I've also tried using it under Windows 7 - 64 Bit and it works with Windows Media Center.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product - almost what you need to "cut the cord", March 9, 2011
To start, I own a Mac and this product, while PC friendly, is made for a Mac. Your experience on a PC may be very different.

I am ever trying to come up with a way to "cut the cord" and this little guy has brought me one step closer. In an effort to pinch every penny out of our budget, my family has often discussed getting rid of cable. For my wife, she wants to watch the "cable shows" and for myself I want to watch sports. We can solve my wife's issue with Hulu and Netflix. My problem, however, is not so easy. That's where the Eye TV Hybrid comes in. Most sports I want to watch will be broadcast by one of the major networks (NBC, CBS,ABC,FOX) and the Eye TV Hybrid allows me to watch all of these stations.

*** PLEASE NOTE - you will need an OTA digital antenna too. The Eye Tv Hybrid is NOT an antenna but rather a product which unscrambles the signal received from the antenna ***

The picture is beautiful and there are no "ghost" images at all. It is almost as good as my FIOS HD TV service - seriously, it is. The included Eye TV software is awesome. It gathers all the needed information and displays the signal in a guide very similar to that of a cable company. VERY easy to use. It is almost a complete replacement of the cable box . . . ALMOST

The first "problem"is that the Eye TV is not a dual tuner. That is, you can not record one show while watching another. Most every cable company provided DVR box has a dual tuner in it and most Americans want this option. As a work around, you could install two Eye TV hybrids. I have not tried this but I hear that it works. Regardless, this is a small issue. Eye TV has a product out in Europe which solves this issue and I assume similar products will make there way to the states.

The second "problem" is software related. To start, the Eye TV software is great. It displays the info in a very nice and easy to use format. It is WAY better looking than the FIOS menu and provides all the detailed information you could want. The "problem" comes in with the need to watch other video content - content not received from the Eye TV Hybrid itself. To watch content on Hulu or Netflix you must exit Eye Tv and open up those other programs. This is time consuming and confuses my wife. On a cable TV setup, we don't need to switch from one program to the other. the remote is all powerful and can access video on demand,live TV,and other such options all from the same setup. It is a very "lazy"way to watch TV, and one that all Americans enjoy. Using Eye TV with Netflix and Hulu takes more effort as you need to become more interactive with the system to find your shows. And this is where my only knock on the Eye TV comes in. While I will gladly move from one program to the other to see all my shows, my wife wants it all in one place. Eye TV needs to come out with a "plug-in" which would include outside signals IN the guide screen. So, when we open the Eye TV guide we see the OTA Digital channels the antenna picks up AND the content from Hulu and Netflix. This would make it an almost perfect replacement of the cable box. Since it does not do this, my wife has yet to let me cut the cord. While there are some software options out there, like Plex, none of them replace the ease of use of the cable box.

Like I said, it is almost what you need to cut the cord. The product works absolutely perfect for what it is advertised to do. Beautiful picture, VERY easy to use. BUT, it is not a cable box replacement. Some software upgrades to the TV guide feature could be a cable killer. Here is hoping for future upgrades in that area.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elgato Rocks, June 21, 2010
I already knew what this did... and I'm not using it "as recommended" - just getting a few channel's off the air/cable line - but it works great for those few channel's.

I have a friend that has a digital antenna and he gets LOTS of channel's.

Scheduling is easy, I'm using a manual schedule now to record to harddrive from VHS.

1.0 out of 5 stars buy this at your own risk - remember you've been warned, January 28, 2011
would rate this a ZERO of that were an option.....I received the eyetv hybrid as a christmas gift from a friend who thought he'd owed me a lot for the few things we were able to do for him.....he know i wanted this and would not buy it for myself. I was very excited to rush home, install and begin using it. Install was a bear because we have Comcast cable and settings are NOT as described in manual. However, finally was able (1-2 hours reading & fiddling) to get it up and running - ran it for 12/26 & 12/27, and it was ok, only brought in analogue stations from a digital cable box.......never did figure that outand then again the following sunday to watch the game on my computer while i was at my drawing table. The following week however, it went completely south! software could not 'see the unit, there is no eyetv connected to your computer. so i switched all the connections to all my usb & firewire ports one by one - no change. i tried the set-up assistant again - no change. rebooted - no change, reset PRAM - no change. used the included cable rather than plugging directly into my iMac - NO CHANGE.....contacted elgato only to be told it'd take 3 days to get back to me.
3 days later received email, 'please send system profile so we can bretter evaluate your situation' the report is 644 pages long, but i made it into a PDF and attached the 1.3mg file to a reply email as requested which just took me back to square 1 by generating yet another NEW trouble ticket.
it's now 5 days after i first reported the problem.....NO WORD FROM ELGATO CUSTOMER SERVICE, if they even really have such a department.
THIS is some of the WORST SERVICE I have seen....EITHER they have NO ONE WORKING in customer service, or they are so inundated with complaints because of crappy hardware that they don't have time to get back the newest customer problems.
I hope no more customers have to deal with
companies who apparently create 2nd rate products and go out of their way to completely IGNORE the customer's and their needs.

software =marginal to ok......features DO NOT WORK with COMCAST CABLE
hardware =SUCKS
customer service= REALLY SUCKS

Like I said at the beginning, you've now been warned, so proceed at your own risk!

2.0 out of 5 stars Crashes a Lot, August 26, 2010
Just Mike (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
When it's up and running, this is actually a decent product. However, on my Mac Mini (running 10.6.4) it just isn't that dependable. It seems like every other time I look at my Mac desktop there's a message that says "EyeTV has unexpectedly Quit".

This is the only things on my Mac that crashes constantly. What's especially irritating about this is that once I restart EyeTV it won't recognize any of the channels coming from cable until I go through the entire setup process again. This isn't a quick process because I also have to choose 'auto-tune' every time in order for any cable channels to show up.

Needless to say, this makes the EyeTV a very undependable DVR for me. "Hey, let's see what's on the EyeTV DVR...Oh, it's our favorite: EyeTV Has Unexpectedly Quit."

-------

Added in March, 2011: Now when I find EyeTV has crashed, I unplug and replug it to my Mac Mini's USB port. Though this doesn't help stop crashes, it usually lets me sidestep going through the entire setup process again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working, bad build quality!, February 26, 2011
This product is a cheap piece of plastic. The connectors are all loose. The coaxial link is loose against the body. The USB is loose in any connection. It worked for 45 days, then I could only get reception by jiggling it. Before 60 days, nothing would help. Nothing. The elgato web "support" is useless. I doubt that I'll be able to get replacement or refund.

Obviously, I'm never buying from this company again. The others seem just as bad, so i guess live tv on the computer is over for the moment. If any company can make a solution for this, they'd make a fortune.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, easy to use, great product!, August 2, 2010
Hello everyone,

This product is very well done. It does what it says it does. Very easy to install and very easy to manage!

I bought this for our church cause we needed to show the last game of the world cup and it worked perfect. Plug it to the computer, have an antenna (I have the Philips High Performance Amplified Indoor Uhf/Vhf/Fm/HDTV Antenna) and that was it. If you are looking to buy something to see tv on your computer and use it as a portable tv this is the product you need.

Great product!

Gio Castro Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, September 12, 2010
Great for playing games on my mac. Quality is perfectly adequate if your not a huge HD spaz. There is, however, the slightest bit of delay in response between my pushing of buttons and seeing the result, but it's so miniscule that I begin not to notice it when I'm focused on playing and not trying to look for it, so it doesn't hinder gameplay at all.