Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Eyes Open
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 16, 2006
I bought this album on a whim because I liked Final Straw and thought I'd see what their new stuff sounded like. Initially I was a bit skeptical, but after a couple of repeated listens, I think that this actually exceeds Final Straw musically and in lyrics. This is not guitar pop or indie music...this is lush, beautiful, modern music. It's adult...complex and interesting.

There are some truly amazing tracks on this record. Some are reminiscent of (similar in style to) "Fix You" by Coldplay. My favorites include: Make This Go On Forever, Chasing Cars, You're All I Have, and Open Your Eyes.
on November 30, 2006
Indie kids added Snow Patrol to their mixes with the band's 1998 debut "Songs for Polar Bears," whose title references a previous incarnation of the group. How could you not love a Scottish indie band with chops big enough to cover "Crazy in Love" by Beyonce Knowles as a B-side?(Yes, the bootylicious singer from Destiny's Child and "Austin Powers.")

Snow Patrol relies on atmospheric, pop-tinged melodies, shimmering keyboards, and distorted guitars characteristic of the Glasgow alternative scene of the 1990s, overlaid with lead singer Gary Lightbody's floating tenor. The band's fourth disc, "Eyes Open", builds on the band's signature style.

Songs like "Make This Go On Forever", "Headlights on Dark Roads", and duet with Martha Wainwright "Set the Fire To The Third Bar" hypnotize with dark imagery and minored vocal chords. "You Could be Happy" and "Shut Your Eyes" lend a sense of acoustic purity to the album.(Both were recorded live in one session; you can hear chairs creaking, breathing, and feet tapping in both, but it just adds to the mood.)

The self-described "emotional knife-twisting" of Lightbody's lyrics is absent from the album's biggest single to date, "Chasing Cars." Like "Run", "Chasing Cars" is a deceptively simple love song filled with "garden[s] bursting into life" and "wasting time" with the one you love. "Cars" gets a lot of radio play across the FM band in Boston, from Emerson College's eclectic WERS 88.9 to Top 40-Music-In-A-Can Kiss 108.Whatever station it's played on, it's almost always followed by a moment of silence and the DJ saying "Wow, what a beautiful song."

True to form, "Eyes Open" starts with aggressive guitar riffs and builds to a rousing, uplifting finish. Repetition of a single chorus "tell me that you'll open your eyes" and increasing production layers in "Open Your Eyes" pull listeners willingly across "The Finish Line." This last track reminds us that finish lines are "good place[s] to start."

If there's any justice left in the music industry, "Eyes Open" should be a starting point for even better things from this talented quintet.
on December 8, 2007
I have to admit I am not all that familiar with this band. I heard one of their tracks on a movie I was watching recently and dediced to buy one of their cds. Without even knowing it....this is the cd I have been waiting for. I am just tired of listening to the same type of music and this band really does offer something different. The words, music and use of some instruments you wouldn't necessarily hear on a pop/rock album make it all the more worth listening to. I do love this album and will be looking forward to discovering more music from Snow Patrol. Thanks Snow Patrol for giving us such a great cd to enjoy.
on June 18, 2007
This is my first CD from the Indie Group. Special thanks to Gary Lightbody (born June 15, 1976 in Bangor, Northern Ireland) is an Irish musician, best known as the frontman of the rock band Snow Patrol. ...

Gary and His Band Snow Patrol have been compared to "ColdPlay" but I believe Snow Patrol has better written lyrics!!

The music/lyrics are very Insightful and Refreshing. The Cd "Eyes Open" the Band 4th CD Album has a Nice Beat with Slow Ballads and Punchy songs. This CD "Eyes Open" has a very Balanced set of Tempo sounding songs to listen to from Start to Finish!!

Great Music to Work around the House or Lay back and listen to the Great Lyrics.

The Best Appeal of this Band is that they are not over played on the Radio yet here in the USA. Sometimes when bands get too much exposure it can be bad for the listner.

Everytime I listen to this CD "Eyes Open" I enjoy it more and more. So much, I bought their 3rd CD Album "Final Straw."

Some of my Favorite songs on the CD Chasing Cars, It's Beginning to get to Me, You Could Be Happy, Make this go on Forever, and Open your Eyes to mention a few of the Songs on this CD.

Buy it and you will not be Sorry!!!
on September 30, 2006
Earlier this year, Ireland's Snow Patrol released their album "Eyes Open" to little American fanfare, but a couple of well written singles off the CD is slowly changing the lack of excitement on this side of the ocean.

British lead single "You're All That I Have" opens the album with an upbeat slice of straight-ahead rock in which lead singer Gary Lightbody affirms the song's titular confession. American first single "Hands Open" is the album highlight, with a driving verse and a truly hypnotic middle eight in which Lightbody engagingly wishes the song's subject to "collapse into me, tired with joy". "Chasing Cars" is another winner, with its remarkably simple arrangement and yearning lyrics, (recently featured in an episode of Grey's Anatomy). "Open Your Eyes" starts off calmly enough, but builds to a highly charged and powerful 6 minute end.

In reality, there are few snoozers on the CD, and those are a couple of ballads in the middle of the disc. The entire album exudes a surprising optimism that loiters in the undercurrent, helping to make this disc a very worthwhile listen.
on October 2, 2007
This cd is a pretty good cd. Overall this cd is not as good as Final Straw. Final Straw is a cd with most all of the songs being fairly good. Eyes Open has four great tracks 1,2,3,&5. I would say some of the previously listed tracks are probably better than any single song on the Final Straw. The rest of the cd is decent but really isn't great or timeless. If you want a good cd to get a taste of Snow Patrol get Final Straw, it is a good timeless cd that might take you a little bit to get into, but after you listen to it a few times you get addicted to it.
on April 13, 2014
I have to call this a one hit wonder. I was very hopeful when purchasing the album of finding a treasure of talent and music. Unfortunately no other song on the album even sounds like it came from the same band as the song "Chasing Cars" - what an amazing song, especially if you understand it's meaning. It speaks to someone who is deeply in love with another, but for whatever reason it is a love that will not happen. He has told her those three words which is likely destructive, having said too much, yet if he could only explain all that those three words means, because he has said too little at the same time. He understands that time and beauty are fleeting since he can't have what he loves, he asks if she can just dream with him (like a dog chasing cars that they will never catch) before they grow too old. Forget, for a moment what we are told and let us dream of what we cannot have.
on March 5, 2007
"If I lay here, If I just lay here, Would you lie with me and just forget the world?" were some of the first words I ever heard from Snow Patrol. I found the song quickly grew on me as it went on. Not having heard anything else by the group took a chance and purchased the album. Putting the CD on the player, I took a breath and held it.

I think I scared my neighbours with the sigh of relief they heard when that chance paid off. I was captivated by the sound Gary Lightbody's voice.

The vocal dynamics and song writing abilities shine through all the way through this album. From the opening sounds of "You're All I Have" which starts the album with great sounding promise through to the sadly beautiful "You Could be Happy" and on with "Set Fire to the Third Bar" (which features Martha Wainwright who's voice compliments Lightbody's perfectly) and then of course, closing with "The Finish Line".

Since I bought this album it has been on very regular rotation. It was a chance that went incredibly right. "You could be happy, I hope you are, You made me happier than I'd been by far" - such true lyrics for this album.
on February 18, 2008
Okay, I have to admit that I didn't even know Snow Patrol exisited until about a year ago when I met my husband. Yet still, this CD is a keeper! This is my jam CD when I'm cleaning the house or just lounging around. There really isn't a bad track on here. If you get this, whether you are a Snow Patrol fateful or newbie, you will not be disappointed.
on March 5, 2007
nothing strange about this band being compared to coldplay; their music does mine a similar vein of sound. this is lush, powerful music, with big times waiting ahead. they should find mass appeal with this stuff, and there's nothing wrong with that. a strong, strong effort that deserves its big audience. long may snow patrol run.