5.0 out of 5 stars Forecast for Eyewall: A Category 5-Star Best Seller
Batten down the hatches: the forecast for Eyewall predicts a tour de force that will blow you away. The pace is frenetic; the characters realistic as neighbors; and the plot causes your stomach to tighten, one scene after another.

Published on April 27, 2011 by Freelancer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great
Published on August 17, 2011 by KathyC

5.0 out of 5 stars Forecast for Eyewall: A Category 5-Star Best Seller, April 27, 2011
This review is from: Eyewall (Paperback)

Bernard knows weather and nature, and he knows how to write about it so that the rest of us can understand barometric pressures, cloud nomenclature and storm surges in everyday terms.

He also knows human nature. He overlays three plot perspectives and the dynamics of several relationships that cover just about every range of emotion from work stress to marital problems, family struggles and heroism, all in a manner akin to Greek tragedy.

Hurricane season (and school vacations) start soon. This is a definite beach read for the summer!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great, August 17, 2011
KathyC (Central Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eyewall (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this title when it was free and just got around to reading it recently. I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was as exciting as some other reviewers have said. I live in a hurricane prone state (Florida) and found the subject matter interesting. The characters on the other hand didn't have much depth. While I was curious to find out how each character made out after the storm, I didn't care much about any of them. They weren't memorable. This sounds like I didn't enjoy the book but that's not so. I did enjoy the story, but don't want to mislead anyone into thinking it's a wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer hit at the beach, April 28, 2011
This review is from: Eyewall (Paperback)
Just finished Eyewall, Buzz Bernard's thrilling account of a Cat 5 hurricane hitting St. Simon's Island in Georgia.As seen from three perspectives, readers struggle with flying through a huricane eyewall, frantically trying to get away from a storm surge rolling over the island, and dealing with the varying emotions involved.

Eyewall will be on the lips and laps of many beachgoing readers this summer, especially in the South. A new writing star has appeared. More, soon, please.
James Stevens, author of Listening to Van Gogh and Coal Cracker Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak Female Characters, August 5, 2011
Reader64 "Reader64" (New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eyewall (Paperback)
After reading all the rave reviews for this book, I bought it to take to our family's beach vacation. I enjoyed the storm parts and appreciated Bernard's expert, in-depth meteorological knowledge. However, I thought that the female characters were stereotypically weak. It included the shrew of a wife and two come-hither women who might otherwise have been written as stronger, career-minded women. It's as if Bernard were writing a script for a cheesy, made-for-TV movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wild ride, July 1, 2011
This review is from: Eyewall (Paperback)
OK .. I'm a meteorologist but you don't have to be one to enjoy this novel. Three very different genres of people are sucked into the ride of their lives (directly and indirectly) by a monsterous force of nature. Character development is excellent to the point that you really seem know them personally. With skilled storytelling (twists and trysts) this wild adventure joins together as one and revs up like a jet engine. Fallible characters are stretched to their human limits. No cookie cutter finish to this one. A great summer read !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real suspense thriller!, July 16, 2011
This review is from: Eyewall (Kindle Edition)
EYEWALL clearly defines Buzz Bernard as a master story teller. Not only does he combine genuine characters with authentic dialogue, and beautiful description with hard hitting action, but he does this in a complex plot that takes you from one tense contrasting scene to another.

I've never read anything by Bernard before and was impressed by the way the author has carefully structured the story to give an excellent balance of information, action and suspense. He obviously trusts his readers to be intelligent enough to piece together information and not bog them down in unnecessary detail. This allows you to become absorbed in the book, as you should be, and Bernard's fluid and pacey writing style makes this a joy to read.

A definite must for those of you who love intense thrillers with great characters, multiple plot lines and, in Bernard's case, more than one unexpected twist. A huge thumbs up!

3.0 out of 5 stars A must for hurricane junkies, December 3, 2012
Suncoast "Suncoast" (Sunshine Coast, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eyewall (Kindle Edition)
If you are fascinated by hurricanes and the way that TV channels follow the weather then you will love this book. The author H.W. "Buzz" Bernard is a retired meteorologist who worked for thirteen years at the Atlanta-based Weather Channel and knows a lot about these areas.

The book starts dramatically with a C130 plane deliberately flying into the "eyewall" (the centre) of a hurricane to better measure its intensity and direction. When they reach the "eyewall" they enter a breathtaking vision of virtually cloudless skies and calm winds but are surrounded by a circular mass of seething clouds of the rest of the hurricane. This is the Stadium Effect, the feeling of being in a vast stadium where the stands are the hurricane itself.

On the ground a TV meteorologist believes that the intensity of the hurricane is greater than forecast and that it could be headed to low lying areas that need to be evacuated. The sub-plots revolve around the dangers and dramas faced by people who have not evacuated or refused to evacuate and the consequences of damage to the plane when it flies into a far more intensive storm than expected.

As I have never experienced a hurricane (or cyclone in my home country, Australia) I am not a hurricane junkie and found the story to a be a bit contrived to showcase the knowledge and experience of the author. If you are a hurricane junkie, like my wife who believes that every severe storm is a mini cyclone, you will love this book and the drama surrounding the hurricane experience. Personally I rated the book at 3 stars but others with far more interest in hurricanes/cyclones than I do would probably give it a 4 star rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good escape reading, October 26, 2011
This review is from: Eyewall (Kindle Edition)
Very enjoyable and what I would call good "escape reading". A book in which you can certainly get lost for short intervals, but it is still an easy read. I give it 3 stars. It is not a great novel, as the characters are shallow, and I am not sure why the author painted all the females to be particularly "simple". Still, I enjoyed the action being placed outside, inside, and parallel to the storm, and it had moments of being a real page-turner. An extra bonus for me was the setting, since I am a Georgia resident, and have a good visual of some of the areas depicted. Would recommend for a rainy day!

2.0 out of 5 stars Never finished it, July 11, 2011
This review is from: Eyewall (Kindle Edition)
This book could have been really good; an expert editor can do a lot. I did enjoy learning more about hurricanes. I liked how the author gives the storms their own personalities. Part of the problem is that there are too many story lines. Fewer characters and crisper dialogue would have helped. I just gave up on it. I'm sure I figured out what happened. Maybe some day when I'm really bored I'll skim through it to see if I was right. In other hands this book could have been great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light and Entertaining Fare, January 6, 2013
D. Mathis (Farmington, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eyewall (Paperback)
I am the author of War Worlds, and I am not a friend of Buzz Bernard's, nor did he solicit this review from me. In fact, I've never met or spoken to the writer of Eyewall. I purchased Eyewall on Amazon, and what follows is my honest appraisal of the work.

Entertaining, light fare, Eyewall by Buzz Bernard delivers plenty of tense and exciting moments in a, should we say, breezy style. The story begins with the standard disaster movie formula - a warning of impending doom that no one, except the hero, is willing to acknowledge. In fact, this part of the story is so formulaic that most readers can supply the story line for themselves. However, Bernard backs up this rather weak story with two better stories. The story of the family trapped on St. Simon's island is heart-poundingly exciting, and I defy you, the reader, to read some of the narrow escapes with dry palms.

Eyewall really takes off, however, with the story of hurricane hunters flying into the storm. This part of the story is easily the best part of the book because it takes us places where we haven't been and are very damned unlikely to ever go. I hope. The flying sequences are perfectly balanced with the personal struggles of the people aboard the plane. I became so enthralled that I found myself frightened for them as they spun helplessly at the mercy of a storm that seemed alive and malevolent.

I do find it odd that females disrobe in this novel at the drop of a hat. I've never really experienced that. I also find it odd that one of the heroes is willing to work for a boss who is cartoonishly villainous. Those oddments aside, I recommend Eyewall as a smoothly constructed tale of narrow escapes. Three stars for professional execution, deductions for overuse of familiar plots and stagy characterization.

Eyewall