Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: DK Eyewitness Books: Mesopotamia
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

88%
12%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 7, 2007
This book is great. I use it for homeschooling my children along with The Great Courses DVD course "Between the Rivers: Mesopotamia". It is easy to match each lecture and the page number that it correlates to in this DK book. As usual, the photography is fantastic. We watch one 30 minute lecture and read one part of the book each day and along with some extra discussions, crafts, and supplemental reading, we have a two month course on Ancient History in Mesopotamia that is top notch.
on November 3, 2008
I bought this book as a supplement for home schooling. We have been studying Mesopotamia, but it was difficult to sort out all of the different civilizations that arose in the area. This book helps to clarify that. I also understand so much more about the region and all of its magnificent contributions to the world. I would recommend it for everyone. A great primer.
on December 12, 2010
This is fantastic for any student planning a report, as well as anyone planning to travel to Mesopotamia. It gives a sense of the incredible wealth amassed in the early empires, the politics and near-constant warfare, how they solved the problems of food (irrigation) and labor (slavery of war captives), construction techniques, and arts.

Beautiful photographs throughout demonstrate amazing archaeological finds that you would have to travel to 5 countries (few of them in present-day Mesootamia) to see in person.

A hawk-eyed child will notice a fair depiction of what could only be oral sex in the art on one page (What is that lion doing???) -- many other friezes and architectural details show prisoners being beheaded, defeated armies being trampled, naked slaves being led to their doom, piles of corpses. Don't worry, moms -- You can handle the good/evil conversation.

Very basic spiritual beliefs are covered -- does not get into any of the sex cult/ infant sacrifice stuff from this region. If that's what you are looking for, you need another book.
on February 5, 2014
I like DK books because the photos are so good, and the kids will not grow out of the books because of that & adults can enjoy them because of that. The photos make it a primary source & there is room for the kids & adults to arrive at one's own conclusions and imagine the past more clearly without having to go to any museum (or go to one, after being inspired). I bought this particular book, Mesopotamia, because my 6th grader son had a social studies project to do on Mesopotamia. The book supplemented his textbook well, and illustrated certain aspects of their civilization better. It puts together well the various civilizations existed in the area & clarifies how things evolved & how people lived.
on April 9, 2012
The book took control of my mind when ever I was reading it, and each time I put it down it left me wanting more. The pictures are excellent and make it easy for the reader to visualize the locations and objects, as opposed to just reading an un-illustrated documentary. The only need for improvement is on the amount of information the books gives; it gives neat little facts you wouldn't normally be aware of, and should one decide they would like to learn more, there are plenty of books on the subject of Mesopotamia.
on August 22, 2015
It is really not a book, but an illustrated presentation of Mesopotamia from the beginning (9000 BCE?) to about 1300 BC, which was the time Mesopotamia flourished . The chosen figures are outstanding and they illustrate Mesopotamia better than many words. The format is no good for serious students, but this is a very, very good rendition and for what is worth it is five stars. I never regretted reading it.
on April 26, 2016
We used this book extensively for our unit study on Mesopotamia. It is interesting, loaded with tons of beautiful images, and pretty thorough in its presentation of the information. This won't work as the only text used for a unit study, but its awesome when partnered with other books.
on February 10, 2015
As usual DK books knocks your socks off with rich information and magnificent illustrations. They know how to tell a story, they've been doing it a long time. I got this as a Gift for my Autistic son. He adored it !!
on July 18, 2009
I just thought I was getting a book but I got a cd and poster with it. The whole book is good visual reference for mesopotamia. Good for adults too. This is an EXCELLENT book for your mesopotamia collection.
on January 30, 2012
As always DK Eyewitness has a book that gives you a picture history as well as written. The images help you in understanding the times and work of the civilization.