Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 6, 2012
The hood I received has very poorly cut/sized threads. Be VERY careful threading this hood into a lens or filter (in fact, you are taking a risk of damaging your wonderful Olympus lens). I was in the photo equipment business for over 20 years, and this is the worst fitting threaded accessory (filters, hoods, adapter rings, etc.) I've ever seen! Other reviewers didn't mention this, so I possibly just have a bad copy.

This is a useful, otherwise nicely finished item...especially considering the low price.

One tip (if you're still brave enough to try this hood): It can utilize a 46mm lens cap. Just order an inexpensive 46mm cap, and you're in business.

Good luck!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon December 20, 2011
This was bought for the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens with the 37mm filter thread.

This hood is made of metal which means it's more durable. It screws right onto the filter thread and is firm. The whole setup looks very streamlined.

I bought the hood for lens protection primarily. It doesn't vignette.

Compared to the bayonet mount of the original Olympus LH-40B (or alternatives provided by JJC or EzFoto), this is smaller and tougher. Yes, EzFoto made 2 different lens hood for the lens. I've the JJC hood as well and it's slightly wobbly which is the reason why I switched to this metal one.
on October 8, 2012
I ordred the EzFoto 37mm Silver Screw-in Metal Lens Hood in lieu of the Olympus brand LH-40B hood because of its price, availability and good overall ratings. The hood shipped immediately and was delivered within a couple days from when the order was placed. Amazon Prime was advantageous in this regard. This hood threaded on my Olympus Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 lens without any problem and fits securely. I'm going to leave it on permanently and shelve the original 37mm cap that came with the lens. Since the outer rim of the hood is threaded for 46mm, replacement lens caps that size are readily available and fit just fine. Even better, that same size fits other M4/3s prime lenses I have (Lumix 14 & 20mm). The front inner rim of the hood is threaded and will accept a 46mm circular polarizer I have for those other lenses. This adds versatility and makes the product a better value in my opinion. While I am agreement with others who feel that lenses should include hoods when purchased, EzFoto offers a well made, versatile and low cost alternative.
on May 1, 2013
Bought this from an ebay vendor for the same price. I thought it over between the official hood replacement and this one. Since it has a 46mm thread which I have filters for my other Panasonic lens that I could use, I thought this would be a better option. Here's my review.

GOOD:
-46mm silver center pinch lens cap is included, at least from my purchase.
-Built quality is pretty good.
-Can use 46mm filters if already have some as 37mm is a bit uncommon.

BAD:
-The color of the hood does not match that of the Olympus 45mm lens.
-Can't use the original lens cap.
-The built quality of the included silver lens cap is not that great. Scratched and paint chipped easily.
-The picture is not correct. There is a wide gap between the lens and the hood after attachment. Also, it is longer than what is pictured.

My friend has the official Olympus hood and based on looks alone, I would definitely want the official Olympus hood over this cheap one. Not only that, it is more accessible when putting on or taking off and you can access the lens cap without a problem. However, the price is just too much. Replacement hood is cheaper, but still more expensive than this, but I heard its built quality isn't that great. Also, you have to buy a new set of 37mm filter if you want to use some with those hood. For the price, I think it is a good buy. Not totally satisfied, but good enough for me.
on May 20, 2012
The M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 is a FANTASTIC lens - it is a shame Olympus is so cheap and does not provide a lens hood or lens bag like Panasonic, Pentax, etc... - however, the lens is a real gem and a must for any micro 4/3s camera owner. The Olympus hood is VERY expensive and this little hood is all metal and fits well (at least my copy did, others have complained about fit). The color does not match the lens and mine came with a minor scratch on one side (luckily the bottom side once mounted). The build quality is so-so - but it is metal and does it's function. Packaging is non-existent (just came in a little baggy) but for the price, a good value item.
I just received the EzFoto Lens Hood and could not be happier. The hood is made of metal, has a quality appearance, and I had no thread issues whatsoever - it screws in easily and has a very sturdy feel to it. Considering the low price, this is a great alternative to the hood Olympus wants us to buy for this lens. Eat this, Olympus! :-)
on July 8, 2014
It's a cheap hood, and the one I got seems to screw in okay, but at widest angle w/ the 14-42mm lens the hood is visible in the frame. I don't know if this is something a frequent photographer would know before buying, but I think it's worth mentioning and counting against this hood.

What I'm not counting in the score is the included lens cap, which does not fit the hood. The listing didn't mention it'd arrive with a cap, which is why I'm ignoring it for the review. What would be nice though is to have the hood list the spec to find an appropriate cap, as it is I'll have to to some reading and maybe bring it into a brick and mortar to see what the correct matching cap would be (caps/threads are listed in 1mm increments I think, which is close enough to make measuring for a novice like me iffy at best).

Another downside which I won't count against the score is the hood also lengthens the lens, making it a bit harder to fit the camera into a compact bag if there wasn't much room in the first place, so do your homework and check if there's room in your bag if you're planning on leaving the hood on.

Before buying a hood though I'd recommend trying out hoods and seeing how they handle for you, particularly w/ the hood showing up in the frame.
on November 27, 2013
Just received mine from Amazon. The thread is fine and the hood can be installed easily. The hood also comes with its own cap so you don't need to use the original lens cap anymore.

The unit I got also have the paint chipped in a small spot. It won't affect the effectiveness. Just look a little ugly. So I gave it 3 stars.
on August 20, 2013
Where Olympus gets off charging $35 for their version of this hood is a mystery to me. Camera glass? Sure, that's complicated and exacting and so lenses can be pricy. But a lens hood? $9 seems about right for what this item is, and the EzFoto version does the job at that price.
on May 11, 2013
I am using this hood with the M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 lens, and it is perfect. It screws smoothly into the filter threads and fits securely. It is surprisingly small and light but seems heavy duty enough to last. I got 46mm lens cap to fit on the end of the hood.

See 1 answered question