5.0 out of 5 stars Scary, dark, and claustrophobic. Awesome!
This game works quite well. Lots of levels are spent inside hallways of schools, hospitals, office buildings, and other such cramped locations. Sounds fine, but I found myself longing for some open space to play in. When you finally make it outside and you actually breathe a sigh of relief, I'd consider that to be a sign of a pretty good game.

This game is...
Published on August 29, 2009 by Bryan Savage

3.0 out of 5 stars Ghost in the Game
So FEAR 2 is a sequel. But, you do not need to play the original to enjoy this game.
The story of FEAR 2 is dovetailed into the ending of FEAR 1. The opening level is rocked by a large explosion that marked the conclusion of FEAR 1. This is a nice touch. It ties the second game into the first one without beating you over the head with it.
You play Sgt...
Published on April 8, 2009 by Siege

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary, dark, and claustrophobic. Awesome!, August 29, 2009
Bryan Savage (Montoursville, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

This game is not one to play in a crowded room, or anywhere where there are lights on. Wait till it's dark and crank it up. While not as scary as Dead Space, I certainly had a few jumps during the playthrough of this one. Creepy scenery, eerie circumstances, sweet weapons, cool enemies, and an interesting story make this a blast to play.

At the time of this writing, I've still not played any multiplayer, so I can't comment on that. But the singleplayer is great fun.

All details aside though, this is pretty standard fare for an FPS. First-person perspective shooting. Lots of weapons and lots of enemies. Linear in structure. PSN Trophies that take quite a while if you want to get a platinum in everything.

For such a reasonable price, and even if you haven't played the first F.E.A.R., this is a quality purchase that is worth at _least_ one playthrough.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Silent Hill" In A First Person Shooter?, June 9, 2009
This review is from: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Well, not exactly, but I would venture to say that "F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin" is very close to "Silent Hill" in a FPS format, minus all of the item collecting. I never played the first one, so I was skeptical going in whether or not I'd be able to follow the story. I am happy to say that you'll have no problem playing this one without having played the first game. There's enough informational items and flashback-like scenes to help fill you in and from what I read, this story takes place parallel to the events in the first one.

After booting it up, I have to say I was pleased with the graphics, sound, and controls. Everything seemed familiar (as is the case with most FPS's), BUT the backgrounds and detail to the creepy atmosphere bumped it up a level or two above an average, typical shooter. The whole plot with the ghostly girl, Alma, is compelling and makes you want to fight forward to find out just what went on in the research facility.

The locations are somewhat varied, some inside and some outside. You are always in a first person perspective, though you do get to man a human controlled robotic suit for certain sections of the game--still in a first person view.

The graphics are not mind-blowing, but they are clearly next-gen, particularly the particle effects and water effects. The attention to detail on the weapons is particularly nice. Each weapon seems to be thought out well and not just added as an after game multiplayer ploy. Likewise, the sound is good and sets the tone for the creepy moments you will encounter.

The enemy AI is pretty good and pretty hard on the default difficulty. Sure there are occasional things they do that scratch your head, but for the most they act pretty intelligent and as a group collective.

I only noticed an occasional slowdown or glitch, which I think everyone is becoming accustomed to, particularly on multi-platform games.

The game is about a solid 10 or so hours and with the exception of the ending level (just play it), the levels are well layed out and have abundant checkpoint saves. Overall, this is a very good FPS that survival horror fans, in particular, might want to check out.

4/5 stars

Pros:
*10+ hrs. of gameplay.
*Nice selection of weapons, attention to the graphical detail of them.
*Compelling story, making you want to keep playing section after section.
*Controls are solid.
*No need to really have played the first game in the series.
*Enemy AI is good.
*Sound is good.
*Has the "survival horror" creep out factor.

Cons:
*Graphics aren't as sharp as they should be, though effects are really good, particularly when Alma makes her appearances.
*Some levels are just too hard with the enemy AI.
*The locations, while diverse, start looking the same.
*The few glitches and slowdown, which just shouldn't occur in a next-gen game.
*The ending level.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ghost in the Game, April 8, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
You play Sgt. Beckett. A generic military soldier type of hero who's back story is largely forgettable. Your squad mates are equally a "cut and paste" kind of group. You are tasked with arresting a CEO of an evil corporation bent on bringing clone troopers to a military near you. The operation goes south when the explosion, I mentioned earlier, interrupts you. Oh, and those clone troopers are lead by psychic commanders that have a tendency to go psycho. This is due to their mother being locked in a dark room when she was a kid and suffered all kinds of physical and mental abuses at the hands of her father who turned her into a supernatural force to be reckoned with. And when the evil company tried to pull the plug on the whole operation, Alma (the aforementioned girl) breaks out to exact her revenge on the world.
This back story is the set up for FEAR 2. The game takes a little bit of time to get going. But, once it does, I found it interesting enough to see it through to the end. I like the "horror" elements the designers worked into the story. Seeing fleeting glimpses of a ghostly Alma walking across your vision can raise the hairs on the back of your neck. Speaking of Alma... The story never explains why Alma is a child in the first game and a woman in the sequel. I mean the sequel happens immediately after the first game, so why is she so much older? Kind of a major hole in the back story. But, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.
As the story plays out, you encounter ghosts and flesh eating ghouls. The ghosts are not really enemies but the restless souls of the victims of Alma's rage or the explosion at the beginning of the story. The ghouls are rejects of the clone trooper program. Nice touches to the storyline. And to be sure you do not miss this, there are various documents littering the ground to give you little nuggets of information about the story. All of this doesn't save FEAR 2 from all the usual short fallings of the FPS genre.
The single player campaign is woefully short. And the multiplayer half is more of an afterthought. The graphics look a bit dated. I mean FEAR 2 looks like a FPS from around 2001 running on a high end PC. Complete with all the bump mapping and pixelization you would expect from a game from that year. This dated look pulls down the entire presentation. Plus, you are bound to get nauseated from the overly exaggerated bobbing back and forth motion of your character's head when he walks. I wish there was some way of turning this off.
The vehicle sequences are sorely lacking as well. Mostly due to you piloting a mech that is capable of raining down death on the multiple waves of enemies. It is a little pedestrian of a plot device to stretch out the story.
Some of the more specialized weapons of the game give you little reason to use them once you realize how useful your ability to slow down time really is. It is that "bullet time ability" that helps you survive against overwhelming odds. And some of those specialized weapons just are not fun to use in bullet time. Plus, ammo for these weapons is very limited.
In the end, FEAR 2 is a worthwhile rental at best. I enjoyed it as such. I doubt many people would find it worth $60. The story is what carries the game. Not the graphics or the depth of game play. There are so many better FPS titles available on the Playstation 3 (like Killzone 2 or Call of Duty 4) that are worth your time.
I prefer to rate games on a scale of 10. So FEAR 2 earns a 7.5 out of 10 in my book.

4.0 out of 5 stars YOU....WILL....JUMP, October 21, 2009
This review is from: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I have not written many reviews and do not consider myself as creative as other writers. However, I felt it necessary to take the time to write this to encourage others just how good this game is. This game has variety, different environments and looks and boy...is...it...creepy. I guarentee you will jump. The story line will keep you intrigued (I do not want to offer any spoilers. Would not recommend this game to players under the age of 17 as the language can be extreme and there are a couple scenes where there is brief nudity. The game can be played as a "run and gun" by using the slow motion "juice" but most often you will find it more rewarding to not use the slow motion and to think out your next move. I would urge you to buy this, especially at the price that it can be purchased for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game to go with my new home theater, March 8, 2012
This review is from: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This game is excellent, bar none. The audio in the game make it feel like you are playing out a movie - you really need SOMETHING to truly showcase this! I was waiting for the rest of my home theater to arrive from Amazon, and had the following:

Sony STRDH820 7.2 Receiver
(1) BIC FH-65 Bookshelf speaker

The sound from just one speaker was breathtaking. It made every graphic instance, combat scenario, and simply going through the levels THAT much more intense!

I finished the 1 player campaign with a friend tonight, and had two Sony SS-F600 floorstanding speakers and a POLK PSW505 Subwoofer hooked up. WOW! The audio is what made this game really shine for me and I can't stress it enough.

OVERALL GAME RATINGS:

Graphics: 3.5/5 - Sure they aren't the prettiest, but this is a console game. That being said, the effects more than enough drilled home the FEAR - there is some epic content that scared the **** out of my friend and I! There is enough detail in the models to make it interesting and fun.

Gameplay: 4.5/5 - The gameplay in this game keeps you wanting to come back for more. Enemies are, for the most part, intelligent and will require you to use different tactics to take them out.

Storyline 3/5: The storyline introduced me to the FEAR series, so I was a bit in the dark. It made me interested enough to read into the original FEAR, as well as FEAR 3, and once understanding, I think that their storyline is brilliant. I would love to see a movie made from the storyline, as I imagine it. I didn't rate this as high as I feel after going through the entire game simply because it does not introduce main characters as well as I feel it could have, and lacks general depth. It should have introduced characters and had a bit more cut action CGI. Lastly, the idea of my team wanting to 100% of the time "send my hero" in alone while "Team FEAR" did essentially nothing made it a bit comically negative. If people were starting on fire out of the blue and the walls were dripping blood, I think a higher "call to arms" would be going on.

Audio: 5/5 - I feel this is where the game really hits its mark. The thumping bass from the gunfire, the high pitched wails of supernatural beings, the well implemented musical score during the missions; it all comes down to sound better to me than most horror movies or scores. Very well done, the sound alone will inspire nightmares.

Multiplayer NA/NA - I have not played any of the multiplayer yet.

Bonus content 1/5 - The bonus mission caused my friend and I to fall asleep. I think that they could have done more with it, including possibly playing as one of the overpowered enemies instead of having a tactical mission-based theme in a stage I already played through.

OVERALL: 3.5/5 - FEAR 2, while missing some marks, lives up to others and introduces new elements into a genre filled with plenty of competition. Sure, there are Halo and Call of Duty, Battlefield and and an endless list. Is FEAR 2 worth picking up? ABSOLUTELY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait., July 18, 2009
This review is from: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I was expecting more from Alma and I got more then I wished for. Awsome title to have in your PS3 library and well worth the wait. I recommend this to anybody who played FEAR at all. Don't worry the PS3 of the first FEAR was a let down but if you played it for the PC then get this one. If not get it as a rental if you question it. Trust me won't be let down.

5.0 out of 5 stars FEAR 2 - ORIGIN: EVERYTHING A GREAT VIDEO GAME SHOULD BE AND THEN SOME!, February 12, 2012
This review is from: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I can be a hard judge of Video Games and that is a fact! But have no Fear, I found F.E.A.R. 2: Origin to be the most awesome video game, I have successfully completed. I have cerebral palsy, among other disabilities so playing video games is difficult for me. F.E.A.R. 2: Origin set on Easy Mode was still quite the hand full for me to play. However F.E.A.R. 2: Origin had none of those extremely challenging hurdles or mini games tucked inside that made it impossible to finish. Not to say F.E.A.R. 2: Origin was not challenging because; it was indeed the most challenging video game I have ever played. F.E.A.R. 2: Origin was intelligently designed so it did more to challenge your senses. F.E.A.R. 2: Origin never got old or boring either. Using the Mech's to lay waste to the enemy was an awesome experience. Mech's are very powerful robots driven by humans that can wage destruction on a massive scale. Because the Mech's regenerated their abilities during times they were not fired on was an awesome touch that let me figure out unique awesome ways to win that were compatible with my brain and limited physical abilities. The weapons in F.E.A.R. 2: Origin were a lot of fun to use. The enemies died in so many unique ways with lots of blood spatter and gore thrown in. F.E.A.R. 2: Origin was a real festival of blood and gore if you had the gore option engaged. Of course if you want your enemy to die a less gore filled bloody death you have the option to turn Gore \ Realism feature Off in the games control center.

F.E.A.R. 2: Origin is not just another shoot em' up gore fest, F.E.A.R. 2: Origin was a LOT of fun but it was also different in so many interesting ways. I wished Snake Fist hadn't gotten killed because; I liked him he was a true scruffy geek \ nerd like me minus the disabilities of course. The locales where the action takes place looked so real down to the signs in the buildings especially the school scenes. That school cafeteria was so real I could almost smell the over salted fat rich unhealthy rubbery food they serve students. I am trying hard to find one bad thing to say about F.E.A.R. 2: Origin and nothing huge comes to mind. The graphics were awesome. The sound was first rate not as good as the original Bioshock BUT still awesome. The audio set a creepy or frantic mood well whenever needed. The city scenes and subway interior scenes were equally well done. The unusual thing about F.E.A.R. 2: Origin was the attention to detail and the overall quality and attention to detail that was invested in every interior shot. F.E.A.R. 2: Origin had a fair share of destructible objects sprawled throughout the game. Nothing destroys the mood set by a video game more than an object easily destroyed in the real world that is impossible to destroy in the game.

F.E.A.R. 2: Origin also had some funny dialogue for the enemies as they got ready to kill you. I laughed my head off when an enemy would say, I've got him just the instant before I blew his head off. I loved it when a frustrated enemy would say he is moving too fast, or I need back up here. The timing of some of the enemies lines is pure comic genius. You have to be deep into the game to really enjoy the enemies funny one liners and assorted quips, I have heard some people say the character in F.E.A.R. 2: Origin has some pretty lame friends given that whenever the going gets rough they fade out. However I enjoy being a LONE WOLF when hunting things on video games. The most infuriating video games are those that pair you up with an inept but affable side kick you must continually get out of jams not of your own making. I know F.E.A.R. 2: Origin was a good video game because even on Easy Mode I died a lot in some places and not at all in areas where I am stronger like sniping. Despite lacklustre performance in other areas of video game play rare is the video game with good snipping guns that I do not get the expert trophy. F.E.A.R. 2: Origin's sharp shooter trophy is called "DEAD EYE" and Yeah I won it. Gun aiming in F.E.A.R. 2: Origin is so much better in F.E.A.R. 2: Origin compared to the truly stupid sideways reticle only gun aiming in the original F.E.A.R. Button layout was much improved in F.E.A.R. 2: Origin although some minor additional fine tuning to make some things flow better is needed.

The best thing about F.E.A.R. 2: Origin is the ability to slow down time as it was needed, worked everywhere and added so much to the funny situations it created during game play. The only gripe I had about F.E.A.R. 2: Origin and it is a tiny almost non-existent gripe is about the targeting system. In the heat of battle the target would be clearly in view and locked on, I'd fire my weapon hit the enemy and he would not die, spurt blood or in any way act as if he had been hit. I loved how you had to use the time slo feature just right to catch enemies at critical times of exposure. The best thing about F.E.A.R. 2: Origin was the AI control of the characters being the most realistic I have witnessed. The Replica soldiers were worthy prey because you truly had to hunt them down and kill them like the hell spawned vermin they were. Replica soldiers of all kinds never went quietly into that good night without my having to blow their brains all over the wall first. I only wish I could give more than five stars for fun and overall to F.E.A.R. 2: Origin because they were earned. It is a rare video game that I get this fervent about but F.E.A.R. 2: Origin is that rare fun that kept me engaged in the game like a true fiend like addict. I consider F.E.A.R. 2: Origin one of the must haves of any video game collection. I will be buying more copies of F.E.A.R. 2: Origin just because; I never want to be without the video games I enjoy so much they become addictive to me. Oh I will be replaying F.E.A.R. 2: Origin again and again as it never gets old for me. Treat yourself to F.E.A.R. 2: Origin by buying a copy. I love F.E.A.R. 2: Origin more than double recess and playing in water!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good FPS with a few drawbacks, September 1, 2012
This review is from: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I like FPS games and I enjoyed this one. The graphics are good, the variety of weapons and the way they feel and sound is very good, and the overall experience is fun. I found a couple downsides... first there are *very* few ways to change the control setup. These days you should be able to totally customize the controls any way you please but it's just not in this game. Second, most of the gameplay takes place in tight hallways and corridors -- there are a few open environments but they could have mixed it up a bit more. Also the story is not as compelling to me as it may be to others, and the ending is extremely disappointing. Finally, the online/multiplayer component is completely empty, I never saw one other person in any of the online rooms for this game. I say this game is worth one play through the campaign mode. That's what I did and am now selling my copy. 3/5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars FEAR 2 First Encounter Assult Recon, January 8, 2012
This review is from: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This is a great game example of a good horror survival game. There's not too many FPS like this, but this is definitely worth it. Although the loading screens are slow and do get annoying, I still have fun with the game. With mutated doctors at the hospital to possessed corpses at the elementary school, this game is full of suspense. The game isn't scary, but it's sure as hell creepy. The controls in the game are easy to get used to, but lacks weapons. There is only a small number of weapons to use and you don't really get to them till later in the game. Other than that, the game is worth it. Especially for people who enjoy bioshock.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun, December 13, 2009
This review is from: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I really enjoyed the game a lot different scenarios and buildings to enter which added to the excitement and being able to climb into a robot and use all the fire power it has was just a blast. I do agree it was a short game to play but the graphics and characters were a lot more fun to kill and some are more difficult then others to kill like the robots.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Playstation 3 by Warner Bros (PlayStation 3)
$29.95