5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Film!!!!!!
Published on November 12, 2007 by Peterack

3.0 out of 5 stars THIS F.I.S.T. LACKS ROCKY'S PUNCH!
It's hard to believe I never watched this movie before recently. I had caught a few minutes of it here and there on TV over the years but, never bothered to watch it through. For the most part the story itself is compelling enough but, the characters seem one dimensional and after a good first half the characters, not the story make the film drag. It's a shame because the...
Published on February 17, 2008 by ! MR. KNOW IT ALL ;-b

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Film!!!!!!, November 12, 2007
Peterack (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: F.I.S.T. (DVD)
At some point in his career Sly became "Stallone" and made easy (money making) choices. Thankfully with his recent "Rocky Balboa" he is working at recapturing the "good" work that he did..and F.I.S.T. is the best. A fictionalized work about Jimmy Hoffa, Stallone's acting (and that of the other performers) is superb. He even gains weight to go from the young immigrant to the well fed union boss.
I do not know why this is not remembered...everytime I watch it I see parts of "The Godfather," and the basis of a great American rise-fall-struggle story. I am so happy this is on DVD and I pray people will discover the great film (plot, dialoge, acting, production) that this until now forgotten gem really is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go UNIONS, March 30, 2014
This review is from: F.I.S.T. (DVD)
I'm a Union Guy who is for the people and by the people...You can debate this movie/subject and its cause until the end of time but one this is for sure this is one of Stallone's BEST works of ART! And I do mean ART!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars a first class story about the birth of organized labor in the usa, March 21, 2014
This review is from: F.I.S.T. (DVD)
fist is an excellent movie. superb acting, very interesting story line. also it can be very educational for those who were unaware of how the organized labor movement began in the USA. if anything, the movie is too short! highly recommended for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see!, March 5, 2014
This review is from: F.I.S.T. (DVD)
This was a great movie about how the greedy corporations tried to get away with not treating their workers fairly and how the union intervened. The union also had their problems with the mob but it was admirable how Stallone, who played as Jimmy Hoffa, fought for the common laborer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Post Rocky, September 23, 2013
Christopher Rendine (Cortlandt Manor, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: F.I.S.T. (DVD)
Excellent post-Rocky performance by Stallone. Great plot and good story flow. Worth checking out. Very different type of role for Sylvester.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great union movie, July 27, 2013
This review is from: F.I.S.T. (DVD)
This is a great movie. It illustrates why unions were needed in the early 20th century and why the union's sleeping-with-the-devil (organized criminals) was a necessity to combat the power that greedy business owners had (police, politicians and hired thugs).

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOVIE, March 1, 2013
This review is from: F.I.S.T. (DVD)
This was a great story and sly did great job in the character. A bit different from his usual roles but he succeeded very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hoffa based film - Stallone's second best work!!, May 11, 2011
This review is from: F.I.S.T. (DVD)
When FIST came out in 1978, I had the opportunity to see it in the theaters. It was just two years after ROCKY and everyone knew the name Sylvester Stallone. The film is fictional but loosely based on the life of Jimmy Hoffa, the union leader whose relationship with powerful underworld figures ultimately led to his downfall and eventual murder in 1975.

The film is powerfully acted by Stallone, as the fictional union leader Johnny Kovak. Stallone gives perhaps his best performance after Rocky. The supporting players include Rod Steiger, as Senator Madison, who investigates possible mafia ties between Kovak and Babe Milano, played by Tony LoBianco. This is based on the Hoffa Kennedy fued in the late fifties that lasted well into the Kennedy presidency where Senator Bobby Kennedy soon to become Attorney General never let up on his efforts to get Hoffa at whatever cost.

FIST begins in 1937 where Johnny Kovak working in a warehouse begins to witness the abuse by the bosses against the workers, including working longer hours, docking pay and no compensation. This leads to Kovak and his friend Abe Belkin, played with compassion and courage by David Huffman, one of our most underrated actors, to join the Federation of Interstate Truckers (F.I.S.T.). The next 20 years in the film follows Johnny's rise to the presidency of the union and his relationship with mafia boss Anthony "Babe" Milano. Melinda Dillon plays Anna, Johnny's love interest throughout the film.

The opening credits are the largest I have ever seen in a film. They fill the screen obliterating most of the background behind them. Bill Conti's music evokes the grandeur and tragedy of power in robust swelling fashion.

Highly recommended!!

Charles Blanchard
author of Mourning Doves After The Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie that never made it big!, April 8, 2011
This review is from: F.I.S.T. (DVD)
This movie was recommended to me for some research I'm doing on the Teamsters Union and it was excellent. Somehow I don't think it was a big production in the 80s and/or I just wasn't aware of it at the time. But it's worth viewing to see how the Teamsters (thought this is a very loose translation of what really happened so they are called FIST Union) helped shape the benefits of U.S. workers today in a positive way. S. Stallone plays a version of Jimmy Hoffa getting involved with the mob and his demise.

5.0 out of 5 stars JOHNNY KOVAK, November 3, 2008
BABU VARMA "B.K. Varma" (Trichur East, Kerala State, India) - See all my reviews
F.I.S.T.
Between starring in the ROCKY movies, Sylvester Stallone, played another fighter, Johnny Kovack, in this film, which he also co-wrote. F.I.S.T stands for FEDERATION of INTER-STATE TRUCKKERS, a labor union, formed by Kovak, in the thirties, to overcome, company-stooges and the police. Stallone has to progress, from youth to middle-age, in the course of the story, and he does so effectively. Norman Jewison produced and directed. F.I.S.T concentrates on the corruption that goes, hand in hand, with the blind-struggle, for absolute power.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

F.I.S.T.
F.I.S.T. by Norman Jewison (DVD - 2005)
$14.98 $7.20