Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2010 9:07:54 AM PST
G. Noronha says:
I am starting this as a general Buyers Beware thread, as it just happened to me.

Some sellers here offer the white PS3 controller however they're selling a non-Sony made product.

Pointers to spot out a fake:
1. You can feel the screw hole under the rear sticker.
2. The writing on the sticker can be scratched off with fingernail.
3. There is a gap in the word "Enter tainment"
4. There is nothing under the reset hole.
5. There is a small holographic sticker with the letters "HY"

Here's a nice Youtube video with pointers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mji_PLB7Tb0

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 9:49:58 AM PST
G. Noronha says:
I'd like to add mine was purchased at BESTDEALS4U2010, the ones currently selling it for $41.01. While it was frustrating to get the fake one, they were quick to refund me. Either way, beware and only buy from Amazon if you want the white controller, a lot of other sellers here are selling the fake versions made in Hong Kong and sold on e-Bay (for up to $20 less).

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 8:39:09 AM PDT
K. Goossens says:
It happened to me as well! I bought a white PS3 controller from signalboyblue and sent him an e-mail I want a refund.
Hopefully he will refund the controller so I can return it.

I noticed it immediately because both the joysticks need to be pressed very hard and there was a much louder clicking sound when doing so.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 6:33:01 AM PDT
Paul Clark says:
I've just bought two blue Sony PS3 controller's from Amazon and neither will CHARGE making them not wireless. They work fine with a wire. Whats the deal are they defective?

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 8:38:01 AM PDT
C. Charlton says:
Yes Paul they probably are, return them while you you're still covered by warranty.

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 2:32:14 PM PDT
I bought a red one from Time Two Sell it was probably the biggest knock of ever

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 6:50:49 PM PDT
controlers used as part of survalence system in my home

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 6:19:24 AM PST
I just bought a red an a blue one from the variety and they are both fakes

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 2:35:52 AM PST
amazon to, fake controller,diferen case,sucks material........return money ....the only think its good

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 4:18:56 AM PST
Peter S. says:
Gamestop is having a Sale on their Wireless PS3 dualshock controllers for 34.99.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 10:22:32 AM PST
I was saving my new white controller in the box for a sad day for months, and never expected when I got it out of a legitimate looking box, boy boy I had been ripped. Only works while wired, and buttons are way high. Visually, you'd never know it was a fake, but I am sad now! I cant even figure which seller sold it to me, but it was too long ago for me to get a refund anyways.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 2:43:04 PM PST
@David That sucks man! Check what you have! Don't just buy something and don't bother opening it. I hate people who sale counterfeits.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 5:23:24 AM PDT
Alex Morales says:
I bought a white controller. The packaging and the remote itsel looked legit. I noticed it was a counterfeit soon as I played a game with it. The joysticks were stiff and not very accurate. The R2 button wouldn't work at all when playing back DVD/BD. It has no reset button although there is a whole for a rest button. The back label doesn't look genuine. It was Amazon fulfilled which disappoints me. It appears almost genuwine so beware.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 9:11:18 PM PDT
K. Allen says:
Same thing happened to me. Sticks felt awful and the buttons just felt wrong. 15 min and a google and YouTube later brought to my attention that the model# was a fake and therefore not a sony dual shock that I paid for

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 11:24:04 AM PST
Please list the vendors you bought the controllers from. We need to know this so we know who not to buy from'

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 4:41:32 PM PST
B. Kelly says:
I just received a controller from TigerOne and it's a copy, sold as the real thing. Shame on Amazon for letting it's sellers to sell this garbage.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:35:32 AM PST
i just bought an orange sony dualshock controller, and it was just a controller! No writing or anything it was just plain orange! it didnt even say six axis. The sticks were so stiff i couldnt even play Black ops zombies without dying on round 1! thats how bad it was!

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 1:00:28 PM PST
RoseReview says:
I bought the white controller on amazon, FAKE! I cannot believe this....
I knew it looked different then my other official one....

The paint on my controller is smeared (DualShock3).
The right thumb-stick is VERY stiff! (not due to the fact its new, this is another kind)
Buttons when pressed are odd.
The "official sticker" on the back is not the right size for the back, its completely shifted to the left.
No reset button...ETC.

All in all, I AM DISAPPOINTED.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:42:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:44:44 PM PST
A. Schlitt says:
I purchased two counterfeit controllers via Google Checkout via Google Shopping search results. After discovering it was counterfeit and getting my refund from them a month later, I decided to buy from TigerOne via Amazon instead. The Amazon/TigerOne purchase was counterfeit as well! The packaging and manuals for all three of them had typos in them, and the sticks had bad dead zones in them.

I eventually walked into Target and bought a Pink PS3 controller there, thinking a Pink counterfeit controller at a Target store could be the safest from counterfeit controller I could have possibly purchased. This pink one is perfect. Don't waste your time buying these online--walk into a major trusted US retail store and purchase one there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2014 7:20:51 AM PST
Oujdat says:
Amazon should crack down on fake PS3 controllers. It should be crystal clear whether it is fake or not. And they are priced about the same as the real one. So my adivce is to not ever buy PS3 controllers from Amazon and go to best buy etc to be sure. Ive been fooled by the SONY logo too many times and recieved knockoff crap

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2014 12:10:28 PM PST
Timi Adeogun says:
I bought a white PS3 controller from China South City (sounds like a bad idea in retrospect). I am not awaiting a reply to my claim. Just wanted to notify potential buyers
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black)
PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black) by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
4.1 out of 5 stars (3,599)