Published on December 18, 2009 by Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Man

Published on May 22, 2010 by Frank Carmen, L.r.c.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doug Varrieur Is 100% Correct About The Catastrophic Consequences Of Carbs, December 18, 2009
This review is from: FAT TO SKINNY Fast and Easy!: Eat Great, Lose Weight, and Lower Blood Sugar Without Exercise (Hardcover)
How can you NOT love an outstanding weight loss success story like Doug Varrieur? As a former 260-pounder who was tired of living his life as a fat guy, he took action to change his life forever and shed an incredible 100 pounds off of his body by implementing some key strategies into his routine. And for those of us who are livin' la vida low-carb and lovin' it, this story will bring a great big smile to your face.

Half-autobiographical/half-children's book-style, Varrieur definitely wanted to capture your attention while hopefully imparting to you everything he has learned about weight control and health over the past few years with the book. It's quite entertaining with all the cute illustrations that hammer home the various points and the strategic use of an all-caps "FAT" anytime that word is used in the book. You can tell Varrieur has quite a creative mind for communicating his message and he does so very well throughout.

Varrieur says foods like corn, sugar, vegetables, grains, and other carbohydrate-filled foods are doing nothing more than than leading to stored body FAT. Again, he uses all-caps when sharing about SUGAR because he wants people to realize eating foods that contain it or turn to it in the body will make them FAT. On page 22 alone he capitalizes SUGAR sixteen times. I guess you could say he believes it's a point worth repeating (and I tee-totally agree with him!).

The concept of measuring food in terms of "teaspoons of sugar" is not a new one, but it is not talked about nearly enough. Varrieur does so brilliantly yet again by looking at the SUGAR contained in French fries, soda, the bun, and a pie from a fast food restaurant. The way the numbers add up so quickly are shocking...and it's a message people need to hear loud and clear. Obviously, if people can cut down on these "teaspoons of sugar" in their diet, then they'll be a lot better off in their efforts to losing weight "fast and easy."

Half of the book is filled with recipes that Varrieur himself uses on his low-carb plan as well as some key low-carb foods and substitutions in his diet that have helped him keep his "skinny" body. Eating low-carb has obviously worked for him not just for weight loss but radically improved health markers too. His triglycerides plummeted from 400 down to 70, but I was somewhat concerned to see Varrieur concerned about his cholesterol levels so much that he feels the need to take a statin drug like Lipitor to lower them.

A high-fat, low-carb nutritional approach has been shown to lower triglyceride levels well below 100, raise HDL "good" cholesterol above 50, and make your LDL cholesterol the large, fluffy, and protective kind that you don't need to be concerned with. Sadly, Varrieur has bought into the notion shared to him by his doctor that he needs to take these risky prescription drugs with his low-carb diet to make his heart arteries "healthy." Additionally, he cuts down on healthy saturated fats, meat and egg consumption, and opts for low-fat cheeses, fish and soy for protein instead.

It is such a shame that Doug Varrieur and so many others like him have it right about the carbohydrates being at the root cause of obesity and health that far too many people are dealing with these days, but then are still caught up in conventional wisdom regarding the unproven and disastrous cholesterol-heart hypothesis that Ancel Keys unleashed on America so many decades ago. While I'm happy for his 100-pound weight loss success, I hope Varrieur will continue to do his own personal research on what will keep his heart and health strong for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Fat to Skinny! The best I've tried!, December 22, 2009
I've tried many different diets, but never stuck to them. I was already attracted when I saw people I know use this diet and lose the weight, but when I received my book and read through it, I knew this was one diet I could do. Doug not only explains how, but why. He gives you delicious and simple meals that are filling and help keep those nasty hunger pains at bay. He shows you in simple terms why what we normally eat and consider good for us, isn't, if we want to lose weight.

I love the book and look forward to continued success in my own goal of losing weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars A FAMILY DOCTORS VIEW, January 30, 2010
Paul Cump (Charleston,SC USA) - See all my reviews
I am proud to be able to contribute in a small way to Doug's efforts to enlighten people as to the true cause of weight gain, diabetes, high blood pressure, high-cholesterol and that thing called "metabolic syndrome". You should have been a doctor. In many ways what you're doing now will make a bigger impact on the country's health than anything a doctor could dream of accomplishing. I am so so pleased to have found a book that coincides with everything I have been telling my patients for years. Now I can talk briefly with patients and hand them a book knowing that what is put forth in the text is everything I believe and transcends the stalled stale conversation of low carbs and exercise. This is a seminal work that awakens us to what is all around us but yet invisible. Like water to a fish we have been unable to see what has been in front of us all the time. Water? What water I don't see any water! Sugar? What sugar? I don't see any sugar! Unfortunately our bodies do see all the sugar and respond with obesity and "metabolic syndrome". This book is a must read for anyone interested in taking their health to the next level. Sincerely Dr. Paul Cump, D.O. Family Medicine

3.0 out of 5 stars What this book doesn't tell you, and still a good investment in health!, May 22, 2010
First, it IS true that cutting-out sugar & refined grains/flour from your food intake WILL cause you to lose A LOT of weight, without exercise! Anyone who tells you differently, is either ignorant of the science, or telling you lies {the food industry lies, all of the time, to the American people. I don't work in, nor do I represent other food organizations. I just despise people and any business that lies to Americans}. If you have never read the science on the dangers of refined carbohydrates {ALL sugars, Corn Syrup, H.F. Corn Syrup, ALL flours, refined grains, and more}--this is a very good, easy-to-understand book to start with. Second, eating this way will GREATLY improve your health! But, it is difficult for most people over 40 years old to follow this way of eating. This is due to the fact that our digestive system slows down, considerably, once we past 35- 40 years. And because of one other factor. This other factor is the downside of this book: By following this plan, your intake of Fiber will be drastically cut--leading, in most cases, to chronic constipation! It is the drastic lack of fiber, that this book does not address. Nor does it discuss the chronic constipation that will follow {again, in most cases}. That said, it is still a very good source of information on how to eat a good variety of food without eating the scourge of the 20th. century--Sugar {and refined carbs--which turn into sugar and fat during digestion, through the action of Insulin during the digestive process}.
I gave this book three stars, because it is still a very good book to own-- if you eat this way to a significant degree {50%}, and do so for the rest of your Life, your weight will go down {though, not dramatically} AND your health will improve! And, you will not be chronically constipated.
The constipation issue is something that the people who do eat this way {extremely low-carbs}, seldom or never admit to. And that is a shame. You don't have to take my word for it. In case you don't know it, this plan is almost exactly like the "Atkins" food plans. One of the frequent side-effects of Atkins WAS chronic constipation. Dr, Atkins' Clinic treated thousands of people during the time his Clinic was open, and constipation was a significant problem. So much so, that Dr. Atkins wrote about it in the revised editions of his book(s). Just read Dr. Atkins' book(s), and you'll see for yourself. Constipation is not an issue with the scores of very fine books on the subject of low-carbs eating plans. Constipation is only an issue with EXTREME low-carbs eating plans, like the one in this book and the Atkins books.

Again, constipation is a big part of extreme-low carbs eating. This is simple to discern. Humans, over the age of 30, get chronically constipated if their Fiber intake is at the level attained if you follow this eating plan. You don't have to believe me on blind faith. Eat this book's food plan, TO THE LETTER, for 2 to 3 weeks. As I stated in this review, most {but not all} of you will get constipated. Just try it yourself.

There is another reason that the constipated people eating this way, don't admit it. And it is an honest mistake. The Medical Industry & the Pharmaceutical Cabal, that controls most of what the mass media says about 'health' subjects, have brainwashed most doctors and almost all everyone else, into believing that three B.M.'s per week are o.k. That frequency is NOT healthy, but I am going no further because everyone feels they are experts in that subject. And 50%-55% believe that three times per week is o.k. And they will deluge me with their 'facts.' However, the truth is not on their side, and anyone can find this out by doing your own, ADEQUATE research. Or as I stated above, just by following this book's plan for two to three weeks {if you are healthy & in your 20's, you most likely will not become constipated}.

So, buy this book because it is full of easy-to-understand scientific fact {except for the Statin-drugs part of this plan}. The food-plan is very satisfying in variety and flavor, and by modifying it to where you are not chronically constipated, you will lose some weight {without exercise!} and your health will improve. Just be aware that if you follow this plan 100%, everything stated in this book WILL happen, AND you will be chronically constipated if you are over 35 years old. If you are under 35, especially if you are still in your 20's--go for it. You will be amazed at the results.

[ For everyone else, including young people, the best plan available--and scientifically factual-- is the "Flat Belly Diet." I hate the title, because the word "diet" has come to mean {in American pop culture} something that can be successful, even if done temporarily. You should make it a permanent, Lifestyle change! That is, if you want it to work and not be a "yo yo" experience. ]

5.0 out of 5 stars My son lost 100 lbs with this book!, February 11, 2010
D. Turscak (Safety Harbor, Fl, US) - See all my reviews
My son bought this book at the Florida State Fair in 2008. He lost 100 lbs with this book! It is the most comprehensible diet book ever! I bought two more copies for my brother and my nephew. Every diabetic should own this book! If they did, there might be a lot less diabetes! My son was not diabetic but just wanted to be healthier. He did so well with this book that he is now featured on the back cover! Proud Mom....Safety Harbor, Fl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book and Somewhat like Atkins Plan, June 16, 2010
I was very impressed with this book and the author's input. He is right on the mark. What he states is an elaboration on the Atkins Diet Plan which I have been on and have lost 16 lbs with 12 to go. His book elaborates on the damage of carbohydrates and too much sugar in our society. This is really why we have an obesity epidemic and diabetes epidemic in America. If people would only realize this. I agree with everything he stated in his book and also have replaced my artificial sweetner to Sweetleaf as it has zero carbs and zero sugars. This is a very simple book that even an idiot can understand. This is a no gimmick eating plan and one anyone can stay on for life. I'd give this book more stars, but we can only give it 5 on here. One needs to take this book seriously as America is literally dying from what it is eating. Great book and worth every penny anyone pays for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 13 pounds down, March 6, 2010
Okay so I picked up the book and it has nice size print and it is an easy read.
Can be read in a couple of hours. Doug Varrieur thank you for making it easy for me to understand how certain foods break down into sugar. Your simple formula made it easy to go to the grocery store and stock up on healthy tasting, yummy foods.
I lost 13 pounds in 2.5 months, but now I know how to lose weight. Besides weight that comes off in a healthy way is more prone to stay off, right? I eat more than I did before on this new way of eating. I Am more satisfied and do not crave sugar. get the book, you will learn a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling great, January 28, 2010
Fat to Skinny Fast and Easy is a wonderful tool that will hold you buy the hand and walk you through the process of weight loss, I want to share with anyone who is reading this contribution, and is Diabetic... Sugar is EVIL, this book explains why, and by dropping sugar from my diet and limiting my carb intake I have gone from shooting 50 units of insulin three times a day, to shooting ten units twice a day!

Weight loss is occuring, honestly I'm not dropping 30 pounds in 30 days, but the benefits to my body are extraordinary. Energy levels are up, by paying a bit of attention to what I choose to put in my face and consume I am making a positive difference to my health. My doctor is thrilled with my sugar levels, and don't think for a moment you are condemned to a life of bland, boring foods... Quite the opposite, the reciepes in the book are tasty, and easy to create.

Kudo's to Doug for sharing his story, and for helping in the struggle against weight loss! Buy the book, it's worth the investment of a few dollars! You'll be thanking Doug on Amazon too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Put simply: it works., June 5, 2010
I'm going to keep this review short so you spend less time reading my views, and have more time to order this book:

This lifestyle (don't think of it as a diet) works. I mean, it really works. I started this lifestyle change 30 days ago, and today I'm 32 lbs. lighter. For those of you who are bad at math, let me break it down for you: I've lost at least 1 lb. a day since starting this lifestyle. The results were immediate. I created a color chart to track my weight and almost every day is highlighted green indicating weight loss. The only yellow mark (weight did not change) was followed by a 2 lb. loss in weight the following day.

And as a bonus, the author does not go on and on with boring details. He tells you how fat is accumulated, how the body treats fat, how you can cut down your fat storage, and then gets right in to recipes and foods you can eat. I would say a third of the book is all recipes; you can easily read this book in two hours.

The only reason I did not give this book 5 stars is because the book itself is kind of hokey. I don't know how to really elaborate on that, other than to say it looks kind of cheap. The good news for you is that it costs a lot less, so maybe that's why they went with this publisher or something. Either way, get the book and lose the weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st Time Dieter, January 25, 2010
I was a 30 year old mother of two weighing in at 153, shopping for "old lady" clothes. I was convinced, "I'm married and have kids now; this is what I'm supposed to look like". It's pretty depressing if you think about It, I was only 30. Three years later I heard Doug Varrieur on the radio talking about his book, The radio DJ, Steve Austin lost a bunch of weight on Doug's program so I decided to get the book and see what it was all about. I have ner dieted before, but I found FAT TO SKINNY really easy to follow and required just a little discipline and simple changes. WITH NO EXERCISE I lost 31 pounds!!
I now weigh 122 and it only took 90 days! Now I just maintain my weight which is very easy with FAT TO SKINNY. I have things with sugar in them here and there, but I've totally changed my life and my routine. I have so much more energy and feel so much better about myself; it's a really easy "weigh" of life. Now my motto is, "I want to be hot, not fat!!" and my husband definitely approves!! The feeling I get when people tell me how great I look and what I've done is irreplaceable. Thank-you Doug!!
Laura Kay Barron Dunedin FL