2,493 Reviews
 (1,061)

5.0 out of 5 stars From Hero to Zero and Back to Hero
Published on June 7, 2010 by Orangeman

1.0 out of 5 stars Was great, for the 2 days it worked!
Published on January 8, 2011 by Griddelman

5.0 out of 5 stars From Hero to Zero and Back to Hero, June 7, 2010
I received the device last week and on day one, I loved it. It exceeded my expectations. Typing on it was a little better than what I do on my Blackberry Storm and the scrolling (while not perfect) was quite good. The back light was a terrific addition as I bought this to use in my theater room where often it is difficult to see much (other than the screen) which is why the back light was great in lighting up the keys.

Right out of the box, I tried using it on my office computer - worked like a champ. When I got home, I tried using it on my laptop which was connected to my home theater projector - again, worked like a champ. Then came the problem... the next day the unit became completely unresponsive. I tried all the trouble shooting that I could think of and read on the manufacturer's website but nothing fixed the issue. I even tried using it in different locations on several different computers and still no fix. What I find odd is that the back light is no longer working either. I know it's not a battery issue as this has been charged fully twice in an effort to troubleshoot and fix the problem. I also tried changing the rf but again, that didn't help.

Something that I found disappointing was the lack of support. If you go to the manufacturer's web site, you will understand precisely what I mean. This is the first thing that I can think of that the support was so lousy - not even a phone number to call!

I am going to try using another - I asked for a replacement because when this unit was working, I loved it (I was even thinking about ordering another one for work/office use). I will report back later as to what I find with the second device.

-------------------------------------------
Revision: July 30, 2010

I received the replacement and wanted to wait a week before posting a follow-up to my review. The replacement keyboard is working like a charm! It works just like it should. I have tried using it in many different settings and on several computers. No matter where it is used, it picks up the signal very quickly and does what it is advertised. For my use, this is a fantastic keyboard. I use it in my theater room where I don't want a cumbersome full sized keyboard. Instead, I just take this out of the coffee table drawer and use.

I am rating this keyboard 5 stars because it does everything that was advertised and better than I expected (i.e. typing is really good on such a small device). I don't believe I should give it less than 5 stars just because I received a defective unit as that can happen with any product. While the support of the company is still not the best, the place that I bought it from was excellent! They shipped me the replacement immediately and even refunded my return shipping costs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid device, great value, one or two minor flaws, August 10, 2010
I recently purchased this little gizmo for use with a Ubuntu media center setup using Boxee. I was getting tired of fighting with the outdated wireless keyboard and mouse combo I have and wanted something that would be able to mostly replace both input devices while also having a range well in excess of the 10-12ft I need between my couch and the computer.

First of all, the good. Ubuntu had no problem with the device, it worked the very instant I plugged the wireless USB receiver into the computer. It was already charged when I received it, which was extra nice. It took me a moment to figure out that the receiver fits inside the device itself when you're not using it, which is a pretty clever design if you're planning on using it at different computers. Range is good; I'd say it's 95% reliable within 30ft, but drops off pretty rapidly around 35-40ft from the receiver.

The available keys are good and make sense. The volume and playlist control buttons were especially nice, since they fit my media center setup perfectly. The backlight toggle is great. They also did a good job of including keys that don't get much use by regular users but still come up enough to be annoying if they were left out.

Now for the bad stuff, which really isn't very much. The trackpad is decent, but is also sometimes a bit annoying. It's not quite as precise as what I'd expect from a laptop trackpad, but it's not really bad for the price. It also doesn't register taps very well, which would be a bigger issue if not for the nicely-positioned left and right mouse buttons. Incomplete function key selection could be an issue for some users. My hands are quite large so I didn't find it difficult to type with both thumbs despite the trackpad being in the way, but if you have smaller hands you might not be quite so lucky.

There is one flaw that I think is worth mentioning separately, though, since it wasn't something that occurred to me while looking at the device, even though you can clearly see it in pictures. The keys are arranged in a regular grid, as opposed to the standard offset you get on a keyboard. This definitely takes some getting used to, and can throw you for a loop at first if you're accustomed to touch typing. If there's one thing that could be changed to massively improve the device, it's this. I understand why it's designed like this, but in my opinion it's the only stand-out flaw.

Despite this, and the handful of other minor flaws, I think this is a really great little device to replace a keyboard/mouse for basic tasks, especially presentations or media control. It's compact, useful, and the price is great for what you're getting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect HTPC mini keyboard, July 8, 2010
This review is from: Favi Mini Keyboard (Black) (Personal Computers)
I learned about this keyboard several months ago when it was announced on Engadget, but at that time it was $90+ and only available from some shady mailorder sites.

This is a TV remote control sized full keyboard with a touchpad.

I finally ordered one from Amazon last week for $60. I got it very promptly - about 5 days.

It looks exactly like the one in the photos. It's very thin and contains a rechargeable lithium battery. It has a mini USB receiver that hides in a compartment in the keyboard. The keyboard itself also has a micro USB jack for recharging either from a PC's USB jack or a USB charger (the keyboard itself didn't come with a charger).

The touchpad works extremely well (better than your average laptop touchpad) and you also have keyboard arrows under the touchpad. There are HTPC controls along the top and just about any function a regular keyboard can do it can do via a function key - even CTRL-ALT-DEL. It's even got a back light.

Overall a VERY cool HTPC remote and I would also highly recommend it for presentations. It even has a laser pointer built in although it's not the brightest one I've seen.

I'm using it with a Windows 7 Media Center PC (I also have a Media Center remote but the keyboard is useful for web browsing and accessing the desktop for maintenance). I am thinking of ordering another pair for my other two HTPCs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these keys, June 12, 2010
This is a really good device.
However, I got the "Rii Mini" which is the "North American" version of the same device. There is no difference between the "ProMini" and "Rii Mini" except the Rii has English packaging and instructions.

The trackpad seems smooth. the arrow keys seem intuitive for navigating media center.

the back-light is bright and makes the keys easy to read in the dark.

One thing I really love about this device is how good the keys feel. Their quality is far superior to anything else. I find myself often picking it up just to type even when the computer is off because they have a nice little clicking feel that is easy to push, yet stiff enough to not accidentally push by mistake.

the only downside is having the trackpad on the side. it gets in the way at times.

This item is perfect if you want a good HTPC keyboard/mouse. But not good if you need to do more work than entertainment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was great, for the 2 days it worked!, January 8, 2011
Be warned that this product HAS KNOWN issues with connectivity! I started experiencing issues with connectivity on the 2 time I went to use the device, the device would simply refuse to connect (not a distance issue as I was literally 2 feet away from my PC), the RF communication indicator light would flash yellow instead of green. I did some research and found that it's a common issue with this device. After shutting the device off for a few minutes I was able to get a connection. The next day the same thing happened but this time the device refused to connect, just kept flashing yellow despite following the instructions on the manufacturer's site (Rii Tek), trying to switch channels (Fn + F1/RF), connecting the receiver to different USB ports, restarting my PC, and even trying different PCs!

I love everything about this device, for the time it worked it was great and easy to use...however I can't recommend it to anyone until they fix the connection issue it has.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Awesome!, February 25, 2011
I am an on the go supergeek and computer networking instructor. As such I love useful tech, and versatility. This gizmo does EVERYTHING, so I LOVE it! I use it in class with the laser point and mouse, as well as nearly full QWERTY keyboard. (It is missing the F8 to F12 buttons) but I rarely find that annoying. Hands down more versatile than the blue tooth version, so don't buy that one!

Pros: works with ANYTHING that can use a standard QWERTY keyboard via USB (tested on laptops, desktops, Wii, Playstations, Xboxes). Gets about 20+ feet range, so long as there isn't a wireless G/N (2.4GHz) transmitter nearby. The backlit keys are a MAJOR bonus, as sitting in bed at night this is THE keyboard to have. Great for those of us who have really adopted the thumbpad typing style from cell phone use! Better than the blue tooth version, due to compatibility issues.

Cons: Not AES encrypted, so don't use it for banking! Your passwords are ALL transmitted in the clear. If you need/want wireless keyboards with security I recommend the Logitech Wireless Desktop MK250 for Business (yes I own one!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool device but can conflict with wifi, September 16, 2010
This review is from: Favi Mini Keyboard (Black) (Personal Computers)
UPDATE: After writing the review below, I discovered cons #4 & 5 (see review) were not caused by a weak wireless signal or a flaw in the keyboard but because of interference with an 802.11g wifi dongle situated next to the keyboard's USB dongle (they both operate at 2.4 ghz). After separating the dongles by about 12", the interference problems stopped completely. Thus, I change my original rating of this device from 4 to 5 stars. Also, con #3 (the sticky 'j' key) went away by itself after using the keyboard for a few months.

In addition, I recommend increasing your computer's mouse sensitivity settings and using ClickLock (Windows 7) or an equivalent program on your OS to make using the keyboard's integrated trackpad as easy as possible.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I was quickly enamored by the Rii Mini Wireless PC Keyboard after receiving it (got the best price from one of those direct from China websites). It looks cool and is well-built. Compared to the many other mini-mice/keyboards I've used, the Rii is the best (in a field of mainly lousy competitors). I am glad I bought it and would recommend it as a HTPC keyboard as long as the buyer is aware of its flaws (particularly CON #5 below). Here is an overview:

PROS
1. Great form factor (light, small, comprehensive, seemingly great for presentations)

2. Keyboard feels great, and the keys are well laid-out (if you can type on a smartphone with a physical keyboard, you can type on this device)

3. Fantastic backlighting (a must for HTPC keyboards)

4. Capable trackpad (after spending some time getting used to operating the trackpad with my thumb, as opposed to my index finger like on a laptop, this thing works pretty effectively)

5. Holds the charge pretty well (after a couple months of use, I still get about 1-1.5 weeks per charge)

6. Can store the USB-wireless receiver dongle in a slot on the keyboard (very convenient)

7. Integrated laser-pointer (that's just cool)

CONS
1. The trackpad is still just a trackpad (trackpads can never be as good as a mouse - perhaps Rii can use a mini-trackball in the next version of this keyboard instead)

2. Should communicate better about the status of the battery/charging cycle (the low-battery indicator comes on just before the keyboard dies and not sooner; when charging, a red LED illuminates - when it's done, the light goes off... that's it! It would make more sense if the red light turned green or some other more obvious indicator that the charge cycle is complete than just doing nothing at all)

3. The 'j' key is weak (meaning, I have to push extra-hard on this key for it to register as a keystroke. This might not seem like a big deal, but if you have the character 'j' in your password, you may have to enter the password multiple times before typing it properly as you usually cannot see a mistake since the letters are masked, e.g. *****)

4. Keys can stick (sometimes you hit a key, and the keyboard just starts repeating that keystroke ad infinitum. It can just be an alphanumeric key (e.g. imagine typing "John", and the keyboard produces: "Johnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" and keeps pumping out n's until you hit another key. This is annoying. Other times you hit volume up once, and the keyboard makes the computer rocket to full volume and cave in your ear drums. This is really annoying.)

5. All the other cons in this review are minor except this one: the wireless signal is weak. It's WAY too weak. If there is anything, and I mean anything (a chair, your leg, a table, etc.), in the line-of-sight between the keyboard and the USB-receiver dongle, the signal becomes noticeably diminished. The keyboard still works but not as well - the trackpad loses precision in its movement, making the cursor jump around and not register clicks, and some of the keystrokes you type might never make it to the computer. This is SOOOO frustrating! I make sure the path between the keyboard and the USB-dongle is clear now, and I rarely suffer from this problem anymore. But if you are planning to hide your HTPC computer (and therefore, the USB-receiver dongle) behind some furniture or in a cabinet, this might weaken the signal enough that the keyboard won't work well (and you should look for another keyboard).

Despite these significant flaws, I still like the keyboard. If Rii could address these problems (and put an optical trackball in place of the trackpad), this could become the world's greatest mini-keyboard!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly useful!, March 8, 2011
I have my notebook connected to the tv, and before purchasing this device, I would have to get up to type or use my wireless mouse to type with windows on-screen keyboard. Now, no more getting up, and no need for a separate mouse and keyboard. The device is compact, but yet not too small or big. I'd say it's just perfectly sized. There's a rechargeable battery, which lasts pretty long. The box says the battery will last a month, and I think it's fairly accurate. The only thing I can really fault is the slightly high price. However, the product is in a fairly new category, which I would consider to be an early consumer adopter category, so the price is fair at this point in time. I'd recommend this product for anyone that has a computer or similar device connected to a tv, and doesn't want to have to get up to type or move the cursor on the screen. Also, built-in is a laser pointer, which may come in handy for presentations. This product has really helped my situation, and let me just be able to sit back and relax. My laptop has essentially just become a hub, that I control through this device. Lastly, I actually typed this whole review on this product's keyboard! Fantastic!

1.0 out of 5 stars A great Concept But Absolute Junk, June 18, 2011
Being the owner of both a home server and a HTPC this seemed like the answer to my dream of a pair of full featured micro keyboards with a trackpad and I was excited to give one a go. The package arrived and inside was a cheap plain white paper box with with the keyboard dongle and a USB charging cable. The battery was dead so I charged it for a few hours and then gave it a go. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that the range was so limited that the USB dongle had to be on the front of the PC and even then the range was only 3-5 feet. Really once past 3 feet the responsiveness dropped to unacceptable levels. Too short even for a presentation kbd/mouse much less a HTPC. To make matters worse it only lasted a day before it stopped communicating with the PC. If the manufacturer had built in a 30ft range and maintained a bit more quality control I've have bought a second, but as it is I'm taking advantage of Amazon's return policy and sending it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for XBMC, July 30, 2012
This review is from: Favi Mini Keyboard (Black) (Personal Computers)
I have recently acquired a Raspberry Pi and was wanting to find a good keyboard and mouse for it as I am planning on using it with RaspBMC (XBMC for Raspberry Pi) and after trying fruitlessly to get Bluetooth support working on the platform had switched my focus from bluetooth to standard 2.4ghz USB combo kits. I went to my local Microcenter and was looking for presentation mouse and keyboard that would work. Unfortunately, their cheapest option was well over $60 and even then the keyboard/mouse was very bulky.

I started looking at Amazon for presentation mice and keyboard setups and came across this for 1/3 the price. I ordered two at almost 4:45pm on a Friday. Saturday morning, I had UPS at my door with two keyboards. I was amazed at how small the receiver module was and had my doubts about the 20 feet between the RasPi and the couch. I plugged in both remotes to charge during the day and the evening started off with The Walking Dead, followed by other movies.

From Saturday evening, we tested them thoroughly and the remotes performed quite well. The only issue encountered was if I had my laptop screen between the keyboard and RasPi's line of sight, the keyboard would work erratically(mouse would move inconsistently) however I determined that as the result of my laptop generating interference. Moving the laptop or holding the remove a few inches above the laptop display fixed that.

Tip: If the keyboard appears unresponsive and the power's on, double tap the backlight key to "wake" it up. It has a sleep timer to save battery and will shut off in about 5 minutes from last keypress or mouse movement.

Pros:
- Great range, very reliable keyboard and mouse.
- Laser pointer is great for messing with the cats during commercials.
- Backlight is great for low-light situations
- No drivers to install, works with Windows and Linux no problem. (Don't have a mac, can't test.)
- Works with XBMC
- You can either leave the receiver in the computer or plug it back into the keyboard if you want to transport it.
- Multiple keyboards will work without confusion. (Keyboard A drives computer A, keyboard B will drive computer B. No crosstalk)

Cons:
- None. Product works very well. All expectations surpassed.

tl;dr:
I bought two. Price is great. Works perfectly.

ARRAY(0xa227093c)

Favi Mini Keyboard (Black)
Favi Mini Keyboard (Black) by FAVI Entertainment