The manufacturer commented on the review below
I buy an extraordinary amount of things from Amazon -- from toilet tissue to HDTVs -- but this is the first full blown review I have ever written. I am also an early-adopter gadget geek with limited expectations of new products. This should tell you something -- wither this Favi SmartStick is an amazing device or total trash. I am sorry to inform you that it is the latter.

I spent about 10 hours trying to familiarize myself with the SmartStick the day after I got it. I bought the iPazzPort 2.4 GHz Airmouse/keyboard combo to complete the package. I like the little keyboard device so much I am keeping it just for fun. The SmartStick went back into its packaging and off to UPS for return and refund. When I got the Favi device, I was very excited to be able to have full android access on an HDTV without having to tether a tablet or notebook. It promises a lot, but deliver little, if none, of the experience. The packaging was nice, the components solid and well-finished, and the documentation adequate. I did not even have the difficulties with the included remote that some people have complained of. I found it intuitive enough to navigate without much trouble.

The GUI and setup of this device was a nightmare. Almost every attempt to download from the Google Play store and use any of the applications was a total bust. Want to use Chrome for Android as your browser? Not from my experience. Want to play Angry Birds Star Wars? Forget about it. That's not going to happen either. Wireless connection? The router with full broadband sat not 5 feet from the device with all bars available. For whatever reason, the wireless connection failed constantly.

The only explanation I can come up with is that Favi was so excited to rush this product out the door that it did not bother to finish or refine the device into something people might actually use with ease or interest. If I become so frustrated with this product that I am ready to send it back at the end of the first day using it, this device is problematic at best. Favi, I gave you a realistic shot, and you blew it monumentally. No way, no how, not interested in this device until you come to a realization that your customers expect better from a device such as this. I have to ask -- have you guys even used the device you sell?

I am being generous by offering 2 stars here. I give you the benefit of the doubt for this being a new gadget, but I cannot forgive such a crappy execution. I hate to say this, but this has been my single worst experience with an Amazon-sold product ever. This device is complete trash. Don't waste your time, money, or energy on this one.

D. Mace (Atlanta,GA)
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We apologize for the inconvenience. As of January 16, 2013 we have released Firmware update 1.1.2.1 to address many of the concerns our users have reported. The update improves general stability and performance of the SmartStick, network connectivity, and performance of applications such as Netflix and Pandora.
on December 12, 2012
Here were my issues with the SmartStick:
1. No option for audio output other than hdmi
2. Some video based apps (Google Play, Netflix) are a little bit buggy and take time to get working properly
3. The included remote is HORRIBLE and basically unusable

However,
Video quality overall is great - I loaded some 1080p files onto a flash drive and they look fantastic.
Most people who complain about the remote not working at all don't realize that there is a piece of plastic that you have to remove in order to get it to work.
on May 31, 2013
We have Dish Anywhere with a Dish Sling adapter and VUDU for movies; both of those free android apps worked perfectly with this device. Now when we go on vacation, we have our entire TV package (on-a-stick) going wherever we go!!! Of course, you MUST be able to connect to high speed wi-fi internet and your TV MUST have an HDMI port. I can hardly think of a condo or hotel that doesn't have wi-fi these days. I did a lot of research before I decided to go with the FAVI SmartStick. The first thing I immediately discovered was they have a good support website http://smartstick.info and a community group for beginners/techie's. Many of these android stick companies have little or zero tech support. Also, most are in China and you have to wait forever to get your device. I received this one in 2 days through Amazon. You will literally turn your older HDMI TV into a VERY "Smart TV". If you plan on using this device for internet access (web browsing) you do need the little keyboard others have suggested here. Typing would be tedious with the remote that comes with the device. I plan to use it for watching my Dish anywhere I go on a large TV. So the little remote works perfect for that. Now, I did use a USB wireless keyboard/mouse that I plugged right into the device to do my initial setup because I knew I would have to enter my usernames and passwords for the apps I installed. Once saved, I won't have to enter them again and the little remote can do the rest. The picture quality was absolutely amazing!!! I do have a very fast internet connection and there was absolutely no buffering at all with Dish or VUDU.

I do wish Amazon would get onboard and put FAVI on of their "acceptable" devices, since they do have this device for sell here. Being a Prime member I did go to the Amazon Instant Video website through the FAVI SmartStick and watched a few movie trailers just to see what it would look like but as I said, NO android Amazon Instant Video android apps to download yet.

Soooooo, IF you have Dish or VUDU, I have verified that those free android apps work perfectly and have a beautiful picture with excellent sound via the HDMI connection. If you've been pondering buying a Smart TV, this would be MUCH cheaper and make your older TV a SUPER Smart TV!

You can watch videos via the company's website I mentioned above to show how to hook it all up. Also, there are some good videos on youtube.com on how to setup the FAVI SmartStick. I'm now planning to buy another one!!! :)

********************************************************************************************************************************************

Update
5/28/2015

It's been 2 years now and we still use the FAVI Stick almost daily using the Dish App on our outside TV. I have read some negative reviews about the FAVI but for what we use it for, it's perfect!!! I run other apps like, stream music with the TuneIn Radio app to my TV and watch VUDU movies from time to time. I have really had no issues with this little device, connects perfectly to my home network.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 15, 2012
Best thing I've bought in a long time. Highly highly recommend it! I had a roku box for over a year but recently switched to smartstick. Here is why I made the switch:

1.) Roku requires a credit card number to use. Litterer turns your TV into a vending machine. SmartStick does not require any credit card to use.
2.) No internet browser with roku while smartstick can support multiple
3.) only a couple hundred channel apps supported while Smartstick has a couple hundred thousand
4.) Roku has a nice interface with a few hundred "channels" but no YouTube channel. Anything free seems to be of little entertainment value on roku while smartstick makes use of android to provide half a million channel apps free including youtube.
5.) I have a 60-inch samsung flat screen tv mounted to the wall. cables line the wall down to a mini entertainment center which makes a direct connect stick very appealing. Roku has a streaming stick but its a non starter due to their MHL standard - won't work with a samsung tv purchased just recently. It gives HDMI power so theres no need for power cable with it. nice technology but it makes it anything but universal. Smartstick draws power from the TV's usb service port

Cool things about smartstick:
1.) Skype - your able to keep skype running in the background so you can receive incoming video/voice calls or instant messages. Highly recommend a web cam and using skype. Very cool to video chat at 60-inches with someone.
2.) Tunein radio - this widget allows you to listen to your favorite local, regional, or national radio stations and podcasts. Music will run in the background while you check your email, play a game surf the web, check facebook or browse pics on pinterest.
3.) SmartStick Portal provides free game downloads and applications that work well for the smartstick platform.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 26, 2013
The smart stick was a little slow to get running. But after the initial setup it's beenworking fine.
I installed Plex on a PC nearby and was able to stream movies and music with no problems.
I also got the wireless keyboard which helped the install. DR
on December 2, 2013
Had to edit review. First impression didn't last long.
I'm impressed. I had gotten a Zeki media streaming box at Walmart, and the mouse was so buggy I wasn't even able to set it up properly. Got a google Chromecast, and had to control it with my phone as it wasn't compatible with my tablet, and wasn't able to download the google cast extension, as it isn't compatible with android - so that meant I would have to pick movies from that tiny screen on the phone. Didn't want to fire up my laptop to access the web thru Chromecast (what's the point of that) Took the chromecast back. So - I was skeptical.
I got this 2 days ago, and it was very easy to set up. Netflix is a little pixilated at first, but straightens out after a few seconds. No big deal. I have a roku, and it gives descriptions of movies without clicking on the movie (Favi doesn't) but the Favi lists similar movies when you click to get a description. So it's a swapoff.
Youtube works very well, which is a joy since I watch a lot of instructional woodcarving video.
Easy to install apps. Easy to use browser.
I use this on a TV that is on the second floor. My router is downstairs, and about 30-40 feet from the TV. I've had no connectivity problems. Occasionally a Netflix video will rebuffer, but I had that problem with Roku and the Blu-ray player that we have on the same level as the router.
Bottom line - I'm keeping this one.
EDIT - Changed my mind after a week. It worked fine for a couple of days-then youtube videos were slow to load, then Netflix wouldn't play, then youtube wouldn't load video at all. Firmware update wouldn't download. I tried for a week, but sent it back.
on June 1, 2013
This darn thing is darn GOOD! I made our "dumb" TV in our bedroom into a SmartTV. I did add a mini SD card to boost the 4GB to 32GB. Made a huge difference in performance [faster]. The remote that comes with is essentially USELESS. I only use the remote that came with to turn off/on the SmartStick. I bought with it the FAVI Wireless Keyboard. That keyboard was work every single penny. Strongly recommend purchasing it with the SmartStick because the FAVI remote is beyond awkward to use.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 16, 2012
Description
Smartstick won my family over pretty quickly. I've been looking to kill our cable for sometime \but couldn't get the wife behind it. That is until this little stick showed up last week in heroic fashion. I first tried to sell them on Apple TV. Thought some of the new android boxes and sticks might be the ticket. I bought/returned several android sticks (sainsmart and MK802/808) and an equiso on kickstarter. Streaming video was choppy with too many error messages and freezes. Fortunately I gave the smartstick a go. This baby streamed video like a champ out the gate. Impressive layout designed for a tv not an android tablet. I popped for the smartstick keyboard but still nice to see they included a remote control. The chinese sticks didn't include a remote. Finally it supports google play and preloads an app called plex which streams your computer media wirelessly to the stick.

We have an Apple TV but it rarely gets used. Apple TV is really limited for us. It has netflix but not much else. Amazon video on demand and a web browser. iTunes is not as great as it used to be. I don't want to pay per show or movie or even music for that matter. I'd much rather use spotify, tunein or pandora. Roku seems to be better than apple tv but they lack a browser, youtube support and I'm told they need a credit card before you can actually use it.

This thing supports a ton of app/channels. these are just what we use the most...
- Video Streaming: YouTube, NetFlix ($8/month), epix, Vudu, crackle (free), amazon video on demand (free with prime)
- Music: tunein (free), pandora (free), and itunes streaming from my pc.
- Communication/social: Skype video chat/calls/messaging (free/home phone), facebook, twitter and pinterest
- Games: Fun stuff. SmartStick offers 30 free games. get the stick keyboard from favi. You really will want this for the games or if you plan to email or facebook on the stick.

2 thumbs up for the favi smartstick. Might be the best 50 bucks I've ever spent!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2013
It works fine, but isn't the best. The processor can't handle more than 2 tasks at time and the remote control is note very user friendly.
on June 7, 2013
I first acquired an older WD TV Live media player a few years ago and then later bought the newer version. They are both good for what they do, especially the newer version, but I've always been intrigued by the possibility of running Android on a media player.

I did a good amount of research and my impression was that Android media players are simply at their infant stage and are underpowered and unpolished. It was difficult for me to truly understand until I tried it myself and unfortunately, my experience with the SmartStick confirms my impression.

The Good:

1. You have full access to Google Play and Android apps. Some work better than others in the TV format, YMMV.
2. SmartStick includes a launcher that's designed for TV. It's not very mature or polished yet but I can see how using the default Android launcher would've been a pain on TV.
3. Works well with my spare USB keyboard. I didn't try a USB mouse but I can see how the optional $40 FAVI remote with a built-in trackpad could be MUCH more useful than the remote control that's included.

The Bad:

1. The launcher UI just... doesn't look good. But I can see the potential.
2. At times the device is VERY slow. It definitely feels like it could use more power.
3. Not all apps run well with the SmartStick, including Netflix. My SmartStick was next to my wireless router and has very good connection. However, Netflix would run very slow and constantly buffers and for some reason the subtitles are off too. The quality of the video is bad compared to the WD TV Live too, even though the SmartStick is set to 1080.

The Ugly:

1. The launcher UI.

Conclusion: There is a great amount of potential in Android stick PCs, and I can see that FAVI is trying, which is why I give the SmartStick 3 stars instead of 1. At this point, the device works for the most part but I personally see it as no more than a geek toy.