Published on February 12, 2009 by Nathan Beauchamp

2.0 out of 5 stars F.E.A.R. 2: Project Bargain Bin
In 2005, F.E.A.R. was an incredible experience for me. I loved the combat, loved the story, loved the scares. Which makes this experience all the more painful several years later. Simply put, F.E.A.R. 2 continues the trend of making console ports into PC games, and it's once again a tragic failure.

I will not delve on the story, except to say surprisingly few...
Published on February 13, 2009 by Robbie

2.0 out of 5 stars F.E.A.R. 2: Project Bargain Bin, February 13, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars

I will not delve on the story, except to say surprisingly few of the main characters from F.E.A.R. are in there. Sure, a certain little girl roams the halls of this new release, but other than that there is not a whole lot of the First Encounter Assault Recon team in this "F.E.A.R." experience. The story is also quite short, even on the hardest setting, but I suppose this is the trend nowadays. Or perhaps it is for another reason, like the glaringly dumbed-downed enemy AI, or the lack of an "extreme" difficulty setting like its predecessor had.

Which brings me to the laundry list of problems with this game for PC gaming. For starters, the AI pales in comparison to the original. At first I was disappointed that they took the ability to lean out of the game (especially because the enemies can still use this forbidden feature), but then I realized that it was so easy to best the AI in combat it didn't matter. And be careful when using that slow-motion, because it causes the enemies to light up with a glow effect reminiscent of Assassin's Creed, in case you had any trouble shooting them before. Overall, combat is not nearly as polished or as fun as F.E.A.R. The new cover system? Might be helpful if anything you took cover behind actually fit the player; instead, most of your body is still exposed.

And the list of egregious errors continues. There is horrible letterboxing across the top and the bottom of the screen if you do not play on a 16:9 display, meaning all monitors of standard 4:3 and widescreens of 16:10 will be out in the cold. There is a film grain which, when played at the highest resolutions, looks absolutely atrocious and ruins the depth of the graphics, which are a tad dated to begin with. Shadows are glitchy at best: sometimes they appear for certain items, sometimes not, in multiplayer never. The clumsy HUD takes up almost the entire screen. And the best part about all these mistakes? There are no options to disable them. The lack of customization in this game is laughable- it's far more restrictive than the original!

But these are mostly cosmetic fallacies- the real deal-breakers are far more critical. For example, you cannot save/load from wherever you want, but merely from a series of checkpoints. In a PC first-person shooter. Are you serious? This is an extremely visible error that screams console implementation and in no way should be included in a computer game. Want to map your extra mouse buttons as in the original? Not possible. But even that is a relatively small affair compared to the multiplayer woes of this game. In short, there are no dedicated server files or anti-cheat measures. That's right: a game which requires Steam to install and run has no real servers, merely hosted games running on other people's machines. This might be fine for an XBOX or PS3, but it is completely unacceptable in 2009 for a game to have a watered-down MP experience far worse than its 2005 predecessor. Fortunately, if and when you get MP to work it is a pretty forgettable experience. No leaning, no slow-motion, no real difference between F.E.A.R. 2 multiplayer and any other shooter. Call of Duty 4 runs circles around what this games "multiplayer" claims to be. Bottom-line: F.E.A.R. 2 has console multiplayer, and it's utterly absurd on a PC.

Overall, F.E.A.R. 2 is, simply put, the biggest disappointment for a sequel which I can recall in the last decade. Even Far Cry 2 didn't make some of the more tragic development errors F.E.A.R. 2 is chock-full of. Taking the huge PC community which loved F.E.A.R. and giving them a bargain-bin console port is the only thing that really scares me about this game. Monolith, normally a pretty reliable outfit, has gone the way of many other developers and gone after the casual console crowd with this one, and it's a shame.

People who pay one, two, three, or even four-thousand dollars plus on a computer system do not want to play a game that they could have played on a console for a couple hundred. They want the ambiance and feel of the original F.E.A.R., not some watered down garbage that caters to the more simplistic crowd. Sure, the game is scary at times, and yes, the graphics can look good given the right circumstances, but this is nothing like F.E.A.R. Gone is the intelligent combat. Gone is the legitimate feeling of fear. Gone is any chance of a multiplayer community. And, perhaps worst, gone is my fifty dollars on a game I expected to be the best shooter of 2009.

Save your money and your fond memories of the original F.E.A.R. This might as well be the Activision/Blizzard version- the one with the same name but none of the same feel. Monolith should have just left the name as Project Origin and not tarnished the good name of the F.E.A.R. franchise with this console mess. Caveat emptor.

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome update to the F.E.A.R. franchise but requires Steam to play, February 12, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
FEAR:2, the long awaited sequel to the original Fear Trilogy (not really a trilogy, but there were three games: Fear, Fear: Extraction Point, and Fear: Perseus Mandate) is finally here and it doesn't disappoint. Walking the footprints of giants in the horror game genre isn't easy, especially when one of them was your previous incarnation, the original FEAR. Gladly, they got it right, and in fact, even better than the original in many ways.

First off the level design is much more imaginative than in the original F.E.A.R. There are a wider variety of environments (No more endless office corridors!) and they are all very nicely done.

Second, the shock value is as good or better than the original with new affects, startling moments, and fast paced action akin to Doom 3. Slow moments are mixed in, complete with visions of the dead, 1st person cut scenes that move the story along, and a few nice nods to the earlier game.

One of the things I liked best in the original F.E.A.R when it was released was the way the weapons worked. They just felt 'right' and meshed with the environments to create clouds of concrete dust from bullets hitting the walls and support beams, fires, etc. That's been taken to a whole new level in FEAR:2. The combat feels cinematic with you controlling the action. It's amazing. Sometimes I wanted to just sit back and watch what was going on, but couldn't because I would have gotten hacked to pieces by one of the swarming zombies coming my way...

This is a fairly short game, and replay value is average. Once you've played it for the story and been shocked out of your socks at a few places, the intensity level will be lower. However, the game play and visuals will keep you entertained nonetheless.

One of my biggest complaints with the game is that they did a poor job of tying FEAR:2's story together at the end. It will leave you with as many questions as answers, in the same way Fear: Extraction Point frustrated me.

I am a huge advocate for DRM free games. I've written many of those 1 star reviews that so many of you dislike. I will continue to write them, because I believe draconian DRM schemes like SECUrom are terrible for the consumer, and unnecessary as well. However, in the case of FEAR:2 and STEAM, I actually am coming down on the side of STEAM (to an extent):

1. Steam is DRM, but it isn't malicious like Securom and does not enforce limited installations on your computer. It does not take root level control of you computer, and does not attempt to disable other software, nor does it potentially screw up hardware profiles for CD/DVD drives. It is in short, about as benign as I can imagine DRM being, and while it does have its problems (see below) it is a compromise that I can in good conscience make.

2. I already have a STEAM account and have had one since HL1 days, and have a completely satisfactory experience with it, including installing multiple games on a series of different computers over time.

3. STEAM does not attempt to control my computer. It does a simple check with the server and then releases me to play my games. In fact, contrary to common belief, you can unplug your computer's internet and play Steam games all you like once they are activated.

However, STEAM has some real negatives as well:

1. Potentially violates the "Doctrine Of First Sale" which guarantees my right to re-sell something that I've purchased. STEAM allows a 1 time transfer of the game to another account, but once it is moved, that's the end. No more transfers. I understand why STEAM does this: to prevent massive rings of gamers swapping games back and forth using their servers to achieve it, bogging up their download severs, etc... While I agree that is a problem for them, I think that limiting transfers violates my rights, and destroys the second hand game market.

2. Requires 'One more program' to be run on my computer. I'm pretty selective about what I install on my PC, and I hate being forced to have yet another program running just to access some of my games.

3. What happens if Steam goes out of business? Will I still have access to my games? How? None of that is spelled out in any documentation from STEAM or VALVE.

So basically I've come into this one with my eyes wide open. It's not that I love STEAM and think it is totally without faults. I just think that its faults are not enough to limit me playing a game as good as FEAR:2. STEAM itself has proved itself reliable in the last 7 years, and so I'm willing to use it to play a game I really, really want to play. The key distinction is that Securom DAMAGES my computer and TAKES AWAY MY ADMINISTRATIVE RIGHT, as well as ENFORCES LIMITED INSTALLATIONS. STEAM does none of those things.

Overall this is a great game. If you can't live with STEAM, I understand, and I honestly probably wouldn't get involved with it either if I didn't already own a bunch of games on it from years past, before I learned about DRM schemes and began to care about such things. Go in with your eyes open, and if you think it's worth the potential risks, the game itself won't disappoint you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Glorified Console Game, February 22, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I am not about to rant about DRM/STEAM as this has worked well since Half Life so who cares. What I am going to rant about is how lousy this is.

The game that PC gamers made famous now goes CLEARLY console with an afterthought port to the PC. Jerky graphics, loss of leaning (my prized feature), lame story. FEAR original had a decent (if sometimes incoherent) story with great cut scenes and a creepy factor.

FEAR Original AI was brilliant!! Their reaction to the flashlight, grenades, your movement and they would hide and sneak up it was amazing. Equally amazing is that ALL OF THAT IS MISSING HERE!

PROS
Sierra made lots of money selling out to Vivendi or Warner Bros or whoever is responsible for this steaming pile

CONS
-Went out of my way to buy it and waited in anticipation
-A SLAP in the face of the PC gamers that made this famous
-Clearly a console game with console graphics and action
-Console jerky mouse movement (think 10 year old on Ritalin)
-WHERE IS THE LEANING????? Oh yea ran out of CONSOLE buttons I guess
-AI is STOOOOOOPID and I mean dumb as a box of rocks. On normal difficulty, I can mow then down all day.
-Poor level design (horrible to be honest)
-TOTALLY linear although they attempt to convince you that there are other ways to go
-Creepy factor has been replaced by weak attempt and flashes of Alma
-Completely lacks the original dark feel and story
-Lame dialogue ripe with foul language for no reason. In the original game when the guys would yell F*** or S*** or otherwise, it had a place and increased the realism. They sounded shocked. This just feels like an onslaught of pointless cussing to make little boys giggle.
- Grenades (a fave) are useless as their concussive damage is nil. You drop a grenade in the middle of 3 guys, they run to the wall, BOOM....nothing.
- I could go on but hopefully I have convinced you to wait until $19.99

All in all this is a major disappointment and I mean MAJOR for one of my favorite game franchises. Hell I even bought Perseus Mandate and enjoyed that even though it was an overpriced expansion pack.

Chasing the almighty dollar on console games. TOOLS!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I didn't buy, February 22, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this because I was a huge fan of the eerie gameplay and fast-paced action of the first. Unfortunately the second can only deliver on the action and completely lacks the horror of the first. So in the end you are left with just another average FPS. Oh yea, and the developers seemed to have forgotten quicksave so...don't die.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor attempt, February 23, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I gave this game a 2 star rating as I feel the developers may not have realized how poor it would come out. They did add to the FEAR story but thats a positive spin on what could have been something much better. I do not know how to relate the total dissapointment this product brings. Had this been developed say 3 years before Fear, it would have rated 3 to 4 stars, but today with games like Far Cry 2,(actually even Far Cry) this is a sad Tunnel like run through a boring and "fixed" atmosphere. I could go on and on (and on and on ) about just plain pathetic issues in a modern game but others have mentioned these as well. Just leave it as destined for bargin bin software. I would wait until Steam is no longer a requirement as well, so you can easily sell this to some other victim(buyer) Oh and If you wonder why did this review give it 2 stars instead of one, well it does run.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY USED!!!!, May 5, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I would potentially rate the game if I could play it. Since I purchased it used, it was already activated to a Steam account. The Steam account is required to install the game. I tried to get Steam to transfer the CD Key to my already present account but was told no. Here is Steam's lame response:
"
Unfortunately, used CD Keys (whether resold or given by an individual or a store selling used goods) cannot be reset.

Please see the Steam Subscriber Agreement and the CD Key Reset Process FAQ if you would like more information:"

You can spend all day going through their agreements but nowhere does it say that the game is a rental and all your rights are null and void even if you have the game CD (not burned or duplicated), game case, game manual, sales insert, jewel case cover and invoice for sale.

Had I known it was a rental (you never can really own this game) I would have waited until it reached rental prices of $5.99 and played it for my allotted 3 days...

Extreme disappointment since the first three installments were outstanding and now I have to deal with a game I purchased that won't play. Steam & Warner Bros need to get their act together before everyone bands together and stops buying their crap. SecureROM seems like open source compared to these vultures.

DON'T BUY ANY USED VERSION! IT WILL NOT PLAY... EVER!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars ok game but not as good as the original, May 26, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
First of all, the game requires Steam, so for those that have problems with that or would like to be able to lend or resell their game, stay away. I would not have bought the game, had I known this. Lesson learned; now I check the DRM scheme of every game before bying it.

The game itself is not as good as the original. A lot of the options of the original are gone, like leaning or joystick support. It is also a lot more action focused. In contrast with the original, your character very rarely has the jump on the enemies, it is usually more the case that the enemies magically know where you are and just storm you without warning.

The metaphysical parts and gotcha moments are also a bit too much for my taste. Not quite sure how I can kill ghosts with bullets either.

Overall an ok game, but if that had been the original I would have stayed away from the sequel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Console Port Trash, April 18, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is for the pc version which most review sites are too lazy to provide separately and have lumped them together with the console version. This game is 2.5 stars at best which is considered average. Where to start? The original was a milestone in terms of graphics and AI. It served as a benchmark for high end GPUs and CPUs and as the gold standard for what AI should be like in a first person shooter. It had one of the most addictive close quarters combat in a FPS. Now nearly 5 years later Monolith brings us FEAR 2 which was developed first on the xbox360 and ported over to the pc & PS3 and unfortunately it shows. Several interviews and video previews from Monolith has shown that they created this game for the "lowest common denominator" and fully admitted that they catered the game for the xbox360. The pc version has letterbox (16:9) aspect ratio used predominantly in HDTV sets which can't be fixed with absolutely no support for 4:3 or 16:10 monitors which MOST pc users have which is entirely unacceptable for a pc game. This means that you'll have black bars on the top and bottom of your monitor if you don't have a 16:9 monitor. Monolith didn't even try to port this correctly or hide the fact that it's a console port.

Also, what you'll notice immediately upon starting is that the menu is also consolized for a gamepad instead of quick changes that comes from a mouse. The graphics are a slight improvement in texture from the original but certain aspects of the game is far worse than the original which is also unacceptable in a sequel. The game uses an effect known as film grain which just looks terrible on the pc and can't be disabled. There is also a complete lack of smoke, debris, sparks, physics, & volumetric particles, ie chaos during a firefight which was found in the original and contributed in large part to the excitement and thrill in the original game and lacking in the sequel. In the original game after a firefight the room would look f**ked up beyond all recognition (FUBAR) with clouds of smoke hanging in the air, pieces of paper floating about, chunks of plaster blown off the wall, and body parts and blood splatter all over the place. It's all GONE in FEAR 2. Blood now come out in unrealistic over the top chunks instead of spraying out of bullet wounds. On top of that, enemies now glow in the dark upon slow motion to help casual console users aim with their GAYpads and looks unbelievably UGLY! Furthermore, the HUD is entirely intrusive and takes up most of the screen and just plain hideous as well and creates an uncomfortable effect of looking behind a bowl. To make the game even easier for casual gamers, items like health packs and ammo have a giant highlighted box around them. You can even see them behind walls. Lastly on the topic of graphics, the number of dynamic lights has been considerably reduced thus the number of real time shadows which helped tremendously with the atmosphere in the original is also gone. Even the bloody flashlight doesn't produce shadows. The flashlight from Doom 3 produced real time shadows and that game is 5 years old. Apparently the xbox360 couldn't handle all these graphical effects which were expected from pc gamers and fans of the original game so they either reduced it or just plain took it out.

They've also taken out the lean feature, not that you need it anymore because the game is excessively easy where you can just stand still and fire away like the Terminator. On the original you couldn't last more than a few seconds out in the open but here there is no challenge, ie. no fun. Also, the AI has been considerably dumbed down where they no longer flank, take cover, etc but are more concerned with rearranging furniture and blowing themselves up with their own grenades. Another feature which was removed was the slide kick and bicycle kick which caused enemies to fly into the air and was supremely satisfying to pull off. The funny radio chatter from the AI are also gone and the cool scream they made when they died is also gone. The sound effects for weapons has been reduced and lacks the oomph from the original, especially the shotgun which sounds like a toy gun. Also, they have taken out quicksave feature present in nearly every FPS and in the original which reeks of being a console port. Another omission is the support for extra mouse buttons which are somehow nonfunctional which is another example of bad console porting and further evidence that this game was made for the xbox360. Multiplayer is completely broken as well with no dedicated server list or anti-cheat software. Modes consists of typical deathmatch and team deathmatch, sometimes with the addition of the mech. Also, they took out the slow motion feature from the multiplayer as well which were present in the original. Finally, the single player campaign is far too short and will last only about 6 hours.

The only pros for this game was the storyline which continues from the first game and there are some scare moments, but honestly both features were better done in the original and relied less on cheap scare tactics. Other pros consists of more varied enemies than the original and different environments other than office settings, both of which were minor complaints from the original. And operating the mech during small segments of the game were also fun albeit short. Another welcomed feature is being able to kick over tables and create cover, but this becomes unnecessary and you'll rarely ever use it.

Lasting impressions is that this game literally screams console port and if you liked the original on the pc you will hate the sequel. There is absolutely no replayability since it is way too easy and firefights no longer have that intensity from the original due to toned down graphics and dumbed down AI and multiplayer is also a broken mess. Monolith has already stated that they will make a patch to fix all the issues with the pc version such as letterbox, highlighted enemies, HUD, etc. which clearly shows that they never tested this game with pcgamers or even fans of the original game. For a more accurate representation of this game instead of reading console reviews which are more lenient and don't even bother discussing any of the issues in the pc version, go to their official forum and see the number of hate mails and complaints from pcgamers. It's so bad that they had to censor and ban people who were critical of the game. You know a game is a stinker when they have to resort to censoring information. The steam forum however allows people to show their disdain for this consolized pile of elephant dung. Had Monolith made the game FIRST for the pc then ported it over to the consoles like they did with the original this would have been a truly epic sequel deserving of the FEAR name, but instead we are left with a lackluster average game that was limited technologically from the start by the xbox360 and will probably soon be forgotten within a few months. The FEAR franchise on the pc is officially dead with this half baked poor port and the hype for the next installment in the series for pcgamers has waned considerably after this mediocre effort and betrayal by Monolith. It is a shame since Monolith was a well known and trusted competent pc game developer but unfortunately this game will leave a black mark on their stellar record and reputation. Before playing this game I was expecting this game to be first person shooter of the year, but now it is most likely going to be most disappointing game of the year and possibly decade. Five years in the making and so much potential. All I can say now is what an utter waste!

2.0 out of 5 stars Monotonous, March 1, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
It's a solid, merely decent looking engine, but the story and gameplay are ineffective. The surface deformation/occlusion effects were actually better in FEAR 1, i.e., the bullet holes, etc. If you've played the demo, you've played the best (relative) parts of Project Origin and experienced the inane weapons. At best a bargain bin $19 game which you may not even bother to complete.

This is F.E.A.R. 2:

Flashback -> run -> shoot soldiers -> flash of Alma -> run -> shoot soldiers -> Alma flashback cutscene -> run -> shoot soldiers -> rinse -> repeat -> etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, February 18, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
It's OK. Seems a little simplistic, almost cartoon-like, compared to the original. My biggest grip is the inability to save whenever I want to. This is one of those automatic checkpoint save type games. I hate that. Let me save when I want to! You DO NOT make a game more challenging by limiting the player's ability to save. You make it more annoying! Game designers that do this should be smacked. The original Far Cry would have been perfect if not for this idiotic design.

The game requires steam to run.

So, -1 star for the no-saves crap. -1 for steam.

Having played through the game, it is very monotonous. When you grapple hand-to-hand with the colonel, you are instructed to just keep hitting the melee and/or combat buttons. Whee, that's fun! What brain-trust came up with that? What is so fun or challenging about just hitting a button when it tells you to?