5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get started with DE shaving
Published on January 20, 2011 by Thomas Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Blades, but lots of filler
A good selection of the most well-known blades, but also a lot of blades you'll never hear about, generally for good reason. I'd rather have a smaller selection of blades concentrating on those that are generally well-reviewed at sites like Badger and Blade.
Published on February 27, 2011 by Zarba

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get started with DE shaving, January 20, 2011
This review is from: 32 FEATHER DERBY 7 O'clock ASTRA NACET BIC BLUEBIRD Blade Sampler (Health and Beauty)
This was my first blade purchase after switching to DE shaving. I was a little apprehensive initially since there were "only" two blades of each brand, but I now feel that 2 is a good enough trial to know whether you'll like to stick with the brand. All of the brands have useful comments about them at badgerandblade.com, as well as other shaving forum sites. I should mention that there is a fellow called mantic59 who makes excellent youtube videos that bring you up to speed on safety razor shaving. It's been a great switch for me, and this sample pack has helped me out tremendously.

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL DEAL, December 15, 2011
Like Many Others I Can Only Recommend You Buy A Blade Sampler To Try The Blades For Yourself To See What Works With Your Skin And Your Razor.

My Own Observations Were:

All The Gillette Were Good Tho The Yellow Pack 7O Clock Blades pretty much rank with The Personnas But The Best Overall Gillettes were the Blue Pack 7o Clock Blades

Greatest Surprise:

The Astra Stainless were The Best Blades in The Pack.

Now all the blades produced a good shave to my specification tho some were duller than others.

Sharpest Blades were The Gillette Globals

Best Overall Blades were the Astras

Dullest Blades were the Bluebirds which surprised greatly me as they had such a high rating from other reviewers.

The Rest Of The Remaining Blades Were All Pretty Much Mid-Grade Tho I Think The Derbys A Bit Sharper Than My Favorite Wilkersons

Now the Treet and Twig Blades also gave a pretty decent shave but I cant see spending more money for them as Wilkerson blades which I can get locally will shave you just as good but at a lower cost.

For Those Interested:

I Used 2 Razors for my Tests Of Which 1 A Weishi has a Soft or Gentle Head, Now My Second Razor A Un-named Chinese Brand Had An Aggressive head Tended To cut a bit more then the Gentler head and it gave a better shave with all blades tho I got a few nicks with the Gillette Globals.

And I Used Proraso Shaving Creme In The Tube Applied With A Brush.

Now ALL the Blades Supplied In The Sample Pack Had Both 'PLATINUM and STAINLESS" Variations And While Some Brands Had More Difference Than Other I Couldn't Tell If The Overall Cutting Power Really Varied Greatly Tho The Better Brands tended to Stay Sharper Longer.

IN SHORT:

In All Brands the Platinums -Tended- To Work Just A Tad Better Than The Stainless Blades Of The Same Make.

Also Some Blades Used Thinner Steel Than Other Brands And It Seems That In MOST Cases The Thinner Blades Were Sharper....

The Flip Side Is That The Thinner Blades Also Tended To Dull Somewhat Easier Than The Thicker Versions.

But By All Means Try For Yourself.

After all the Possibility Remains That Perhaps I Received a 'Bad Batch Of Blades?...

Indiana ED

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Blades, but lots of filler, February 27, 2011
Zarba "zarba" (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Sampler pack was perfect for a DE newbie, May 26, 2012
Bunny (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered this sampler pack as part of a gift set I put together for my husband who is new to the world of double edge shaving. He has used a few of the blades so far and while honing his technique is discovering how different types of blades give him different results and is quickly figuring out what type of blade his beard prefers. A sampler pack like this one is a must have for someone just starting out! The variety in this specific pack is great and two of each blade seems to be the perfect amount to determine whether a specific blade has potential or is simply not the right type for him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Selection, December 10, 2010
mhill "Matt Hill" (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This pack comes with a pretty good selection for the price. The Feather, Bluebird, Astra and Derby blades seem to be pretty well regarded on Amazon. In this set, you get two blades of each brand.

I give it four stars: the product is just as advertised, but if they included, say, Merkur or other major brands in lieu of the lesser known ones, it would be an even better selection. They also double up on the Astras and Supermax, giving you a platinum and stainless variant of each brand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, January 14, 2013
Great starter pack of blades, but I might just recommend skipping it and going right to Astra or Feather, because this pack of blades is just going to show you how much better they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sampler!, October 12, 2012
Paul H. Meijer (Mountain View, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Just starting with DE shaving; this sampler pack has been a great way to try a bunch of different blades before settling on the one(s) I want to use going forward. It's a good mix of "high end" and mid-range (and some low-end) blades.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Sample Pack, July 18, 2012
First of all, I was very new to the world of double edge razors when I bought this pack, so some trial and errors of shaving a new way came along with this pack. Once I got the hang of doing it, I could tell there were a huge difference in the quality of the blades. I used 1 of each at the beginning while I was learning and used the 2nd once I had the technique down.

For my neck (with some bumps that I just can't seem to get rid of) The Astra and Feather brands worked the best with no nicks until the blades were worn. Most of the others were mid-level and comparable. They lasted a few shaves less than the Feather and Astra before dullness set in.

I am not a fan of the Gillette brand blades at all. The 7 o'clocks lasted 1, maybe 2 shaves before nicks and irritation. The Gillette Goals were the dullest of them all and I would get a good amount of nicks even on first use. A darn shame since I'm a soccer nut and liked the design of the package.

Looks like it's Feather and Astra brands for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice selection for a beginner, January 11, 2012
magicker71 (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
I just received a safety razor for Christmas and quickly ordered this selection to give different a try. I received many, many different brands including Astra Platinum, Feather, Derby, and many other popular brands. This was a perfect assortment for me as a beginner and I would recommend this, or a similar assortment, to anyone just starting out with safety razors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great selection, November 11, 2011
I am new to DE shaving, so I was looking for a sample pack of blades to see which ones I like the best. This pack is perfect - included are 2 bags, each containing 13 different blades.