5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent.
At $0.48 ea this is a great sampler pack, that I have now purchased twice.
Everyone's face is different and the ONLY way to find out what works best for you is to try them all out.

...I have a dark red beard peppered with bigger thicker dark whiskers which are wide and flat instead of round.
My beard is particularly curly, and grows right alongside my...
Published on March 24, 2012 by P. Stubbs

3.0 out of 5 stars Pictures Don't Match
I got this sampler for the Astra, 7 O'Clock and Feather (yellow pkg) . 2 out of 3 came as expected. The Feathers were the black and silver pack. Went back and checked the Amazon page and notice something. The product page shows a yellow Feather package but when you add it to cart and look at it in the cart, the black and silver Feathers are shown. The picture changes...
Published 7 months ago by M. Schneider

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., March 24, 2012
This review is from: 35 FEATHER 7 O'clock SHARK ASTRA BLUEBIRD DERBY Blade Sampler (Health and Beauty)
At $0.48 ea this is a great sampler pack, that I have now purchased twice.

My beard is particularly curly, and grows right alongside my skin--so I am prone to having ingrown hairs. Also, the grain of my beard spirals and changes directions in several places.
...Electric razors cause ingrown hairs and razor bumps & disposables give me terrible razor rash.
...Since I have switched to DE razors, I can shave every day (for the first time since I was in my teens) and my skin no longer burns when I sweat.

The first time around I used each blade for one week, and switched brands frequently.
Oddly enough, my preferred make changed several times.
Some of this was due to the weather (which changes the condition of my skin)
and some of this (I hope) was due to technique changes.
The second time around I decided to use one brand at a time and learn to adapt my technique to the blade.
The end result is that I can now shave with every blade comfortably, though some are markedly better than others.

...($0.40 ea) The Feathers were my first favorite. They are sharp and do not tug at any shaving angle. This blade is too sharp for shaving against the grain. Shaving the difficult areas on my face can be trying. This is my preferred blade for shaving a full beard. (New link for $0.30 ea)
...($0.14 ea) The Blue Birds are my current favorite. They are nearly as sharp as the feathers (no tugging). They also are too sharp to attempt against the grain shaving. They are gentler on my skin than the feathers and allow for more passes with less razor burn (good for addressing those difficult areas). (Edit: For some reason the second tuck of these didn't impress me... )
...($0.08 ea) The Derbys are sure to remain in my arsenal. I hated these blades for tugging at my beard, until I learned to vary the cutting angle according to whisker length & cutting direction. Indeed, I now get the gentlest shaves from this blade, and they are inexpensive to boot!
...($0.10 ea) The Astras were the first blade I ran out of. They are a dirt cheap, versatile blade (plenty sharp and reasonably gentle), but they didn't last very long.
...($0.25 ea) The Gillette Platinums on are good blades that seem to last forever... as is reflected in their price. If I could only have one blade this might very well be it.
...($0.25 ea) The Gillette Stainless didn't seem to be as nice as the Platinums. I would rather have tried the Gillette SharpEdges.
...($0.16) The Sharks: I tried really hard to like these blades because they are the only ones that do not come glued* to the wax paper wrappers. However, they don't perform with my face/razor very well.

*for better results with glued blades, insert the blade with the glue spots facing the handle.
PS. I use these in a Merkur HD with Van Der Hagen Deluxe or Col Conk Almond Shave Soap.
PPS. To get a better feel for your shave quality apply aftershave before rinsing with cold water (as well as after).
At this point, I don't ever feel any razor burn after I have rinsed my face in cold water.

I have also discovered that a 2-pass shave morning and nightly is better than one 3-pass shave every morning (closer shaves and less irritation).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best blade sampler out there, December 17, 2012
I'm a 28 y/o caucasian, with almost sensitive skin and regular (not thin, not coarse), full (grows evenly on my face) beard. I've been shaving with an Edwin Jagger DE89L razor for the past six months or so, along with the Van der Haagen Luxury Kit, and this has been a wonderful experience. I switched over from Gillete Sensor blades, which is are no longer made. I also owned a few electric shavers that were good, but always broke down and new models show up every year. So this (shaving with double-edge safety blades), I believe, is the perfect system. It's manly, classy, reliable and affordable.

On to the blades. I went through these in various "rounds" to determine which were the best for me, considering my current kit. This is the list from worst to best:

1. Shark Super Stainless: These were, by far, the absolute worst blades I tried. I did not get a decent shave and I suffered terribly from a lot of "tug and pull". I tried two of them, thinking maybe the first blade I tried was a lemon, but I completely discarded them at round 2. I might use them to cut stuff.

2. Derby: These were the first I tried since I received 5 of them with my razor. They were comfortable to shave with, but the shave was not close at all. They were also dropped at round 2, but only because I had tried them before. I'd probably recommend these to those with sensitive skin and/or thin facial hair.

3. Gillete 7 O'clock: I was surprised at my first shave with these, better than Astra (see below), but at round 2, I felt some "tug and pull", which were also present on round 3, where they were dropped, so they may not be as consistent. I'll give these another go, just to be sure, and update this review IF NECESSARY.

4. Blue Bird: These made it to the 5th and final round and provide an awesome shave. If Feather (see below) is a 10/10 in closeness, these are easily a 9.5/10. However, I suffered from some "tug and pull".

5. Astra: These are maybe the best blades overall since I've had really really good and comfortable shaves with them, although not as close as Blue Bird (see above) or Feather (see below). These were dropped on round 4 only because they were super consistent throughout all rounds and I was looking mostly for the closest shave.

6. Feather: What can I say? These provided the absolute best shave in both comfort and closeness. I had no nicks or cuts at all, so don't be afraid! The only drawbacks are that the sharpness doesn't seem to last as long (you get maybe three perfect shaves per blade) and the price.

Conclusion: The last three blades are all magnificent. I may stick to Astra as my main, go-to, everyday blades and Feather as my "special occasion" blade. That way, there really is no point in enduring the "tug and pull" from Blue Birds.

5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE!!! Check your order, not as advertised!!! UPDATE!!, August 20, 2012
I ordered these razors to get a good assortment of blades to try. I was really looking forward to trying the Bluebird razors, but imagine my suprise when they were not part of the pack. Instead I was sent Bic Chrome Platinums. I've already used these and wasn't happy with them to begin with. The picture and description listed Shark (received), Gillette 7 O'Clock (received), Astra, Derby and Feather (all received). Too bad I got screwed on the Bluebirds. Won't order these again!

UPDATE: Within a few hours of posting this comment, I was contacted by the company and not only received an apology, but they are sending the correct blades. While the mistake happened, and mistakes happen with anyone, I am seriously impressed with the customer service, and quality of care I received. After seeing as how this company puts customers first, I am changing over to 5 stars, and will continue to use this company from now on. Keep up the great work, and know that how you treat customers is sometimes more important than the product itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Cute!, December 29, 2012
These little razors arrived quickly and as advertised. I bought them because I'm trying out different blades in order to figure out which ones will work best for shaving my legs. I have so far only shaved with the cheapest/dullest blade in the bunch, and I am in love. Does this mean it will only get better? I can't believe it; I have never had such a close shave in my entire life. All the blades are individually wrapped in paper, which is adorable, or, as adorable as razor blades can be :)

UPDATE: After using my safety razor for the past month or so, I have mastered the technique. I now shave using the very sharp feather blades. I apply almost no pressure and let the razor/blade glide down my skin. These blades are so sharp that you really just need to let them do all the work. They are awesome and I will never go back to using a standard razor to shave my legs ever again. What a great find :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice! Very Useful In Deciding On Blades!, December 23, 2012
At just over $3 per pack, this DE set is a nice way to explore your blade options. It has seven packs of blades and is only missing a couple of brands that should be tried. I think it should include a pack of Gillette Platinum, but besides that the Derby, Bluebird, and Feather blades were a nice surprise, and give me options when purchasing blades.
Everyone's skin is different, so this set is a nice way to find out what works best for you. I used an Edwin Jagger razor, Art of Shaving pre-shave oil/shaving cream/aftershave, and switched blades after every three shaves. I wrote a little review and assigned a number (4 being the highest) after three shave cycle which compared each blade to the Gillette Platinum. This is how I rated them. (I have semi-sensitive, fair skin, if that helps).
Derby Extra: 4
Feather Hi-Stainless: 3.75
Shark Super Chrome: 3.5
Blue Bird: 3.5
Gillette Silver Blue: 3.25
Gillette 7 o'clock: 3
Astra Superior Platinum: 3

I'm sure your results will be different, but if you're new to DE shaving, definitely try out some blades before settling on one. This set will start you off nicely!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great variety pack, November 18, 2011
Good variety pack of blades that allows you to find out which blade works for you. Feathers were the best for me, but that doesn't hold true for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good kit to find what works for your skin, January 26, 2014
I bought this sampler to find what blade I would find most comfortable.

The Feathers are easily the sharpest blade and most expensive. They do not retain their sharpness long with course hair and also easily cut the skin. They are not a forgiving blade. Not a good value.

The Astras and Derbys are equally the longest lasting and best value. They are not as sharp as the Feathers but you can get just as close of a shave. They are also reasonably priced.

The Bluebirds are comparable to the Gillettes. They are not memorable and I have nothing to say about them.

The Sharks are the worst blades ever produced in the history of mankind. They are not sharp and they cut off your face. If I had to choose between shaving with Shark blades or a dull rock, I wouldn't shave with either.

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved having the selection, April 21, 2014
I loved having the selection. I think I am going with the Astra or the Feathers next time. I HATED the derby. It felt like it was ripping the hairs outta my face LOL.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sample!, August 2, 2013
I grew up DE shaving, switched to disposable, then to electric, and came back to DE last year. I have been trying different samples of blades and now have settled with this one. Now I use Mekur long handle, Feather blades, and Proraso pre-shave and soap.

This pack has the top 3 of my favorite and the best of the blades available in the market. I started with a 25 pack sampler, then tried this sampler, before I decided on Feather, with Astra being the second. Those who are looking for blades for DE shaving should start with this.

From the ones that I have tried, this is the order that worked for me:
Feather, Astra, Bluebird, Gillette, Supermax, Bic, ..... Shark, Nacet, Derby, Lord, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect way to find the right blade, December 24, 2012
When I first got into DE shaving, I used a couple blades from a friend but couldn't find one that seemed right, so based off the other reviews, bought this pack. This is by far the best idea for anyone getting into DE shaving. Everyone's face is different and the only way to find out the best combo for your face and razor is to buy a sampler pack like this.

Astra - Tried these first based on forums and a friend's recommendation as a good starter blade. This was not a winner for my face/razor. By the end of the first shave, it started tugging a little and trying it a second shave was bad news bears for my mug. Perhaps it was inexperience as I was learning, but I can't forget the bad memories.

Derby & Shark - Similar experience to the Astra with an OK (but not super close) first shave, but bad bad irritation/bumps/ingrown hairs with any subsequent shaves.

Gillette 7 o'clock - These blades worked pretty well with a nice close first shave and a perfectly acceptable 2nd shave. The third shave was not as good, but depending on exactly how long between shaves (24 vs 36 vs 48), sometimes the third shave was fine too. I used a couple of these blades and thought they would be my go-to blade for a while.

Feather - Once I started using these, I didn't even go on with testing the others. (Although from other reviews, maybe I should try the bluebirds). These were far and away the best blades for me. Unfortunately they're also the most expensive (but still way cheaper than cartridges). I could consistently get 3 shaves from each blade without my face and neck looking like I was back in high school with acne. After using a couple blades, I was sold and bought a bulk pack which I use as my everyday blade now.

I still have the remaining blades and perhaps I'll revisit them if I'm feeling adventurous or I run out of my Feathers. But for anyone starting out with DE shaving, do yourself a favor and buy a sampler pack. Although your face may dislike you for a time and you may look like you got in a fight with a badger, it's worth it in the end to find that one blade.

Rate and Discover Movies