So... with the Foscam FI8918W camera, does my computer need to be on in order for this to work? Do I need to have my computer on to be able to "check in" online from a remote location? I want a camera that is basically independent of my computer and just connects to my home wireless internet connection. Thanks!
asked by Kenny Cramer on September 21, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
The camera is an independent node on your network. It needs to be configured for DDNS service through a provider such as no-ip.com. No-ip.com is free. You also need to configure your router for port forwarding.
DP answered on February 1, 2013
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No, Your computer does not need to be on. The camera is independant. (after the setup process)
BW answered on September 26, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
no , you simply add a port forward to your ROUTER for the FosCam, use DynDNS to setup and address to your external IP like myipcam.gotdns.com:83 (DynDns will have your external IP listed and ready to map, very easy, pick a name). Then I can use myip.gotdns.com on port 83 (80 is usually for websites, use custom port) and then map to local ip, I would set Foscam IPcam to static IP like 192.168.1.81 for example. In the router (linksys,netgear,Dlink etc) add a Port Forward item, which would be incoming port 83 (83 for the myipcam.gotdns.com:83) and then destination would be 192.168.1.81 (Foscam port 80 - its default). Done! Now you can use myipcam.gotdns.com:83 on your phone, NVR programs, tablets, anything.
Mike118s answered on September 13, 2013
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you want to skip the firewall config, try Sensr.net. No computer, no firewall config. See the setup guide here: http://bit.ly/fi8982w We charge a monthly fee but we have a free trial so you can try it at no risk.
Amazon Customer answered on December 8, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›