Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

HALL OF FAMEon March 30, 2011
The surface of the Finis swim diaper is 100% polyester and supposedly chlorine-resistant. The 100% nylon lining does a good job keeping urine in, but we don't know yet whether a BM will be contained well. Hopefully that'll never happen, though.

Here are the different sizes and corresponding age and weight ranges (taken from the packaging):

Small: 3-6 mos, 9-15 lbs.
Medium: 6-12 mos, 12-22 lbs.
Large: 12-18 mos, 22-28 lbs.
XLarge: 18-24 mos, 28-33 lbs.
XXLarge: 24-30 mos, 33-38 lbs.
3T: 36 mos, 34-41 lbs.
4T: 48 mos, 38-45 lbs.

The made-in-Malaysia quality seems decent. We'll see how durable it is. Hand-wash only.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2011
I did order 1 weight category more than my sons current weight because he was right on the edge the diaper fit him great when we got it. as many ppl have already said it is not meant to be absorbent nor is it supposed to hold poo in for long periods while in the water. I put the diaper on my son at the pool right before we enter the water and then change him back to a regular diaper before leaving the pool. My son has not yet pooed in the diaper and hopefully never will but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a second diaper so you can immediately change the diaper after you have a poop one because like it or not the water will start to break the poop down and it will eventually leak.(that will happen with any swim diaper cloth or disposable). I gave this diaper a 4out of 5 instead of a 5 beacuse it would be nice to have detachable side for easier changes. but the price, fit, and functionality are all great.
on June 5, 2011
We've used this swim diaper in XL (rated 28-33 lbs on the packaging) on my 17m old son daily for the last couple of weeks.

The Function: As another reviewer noted, swim diapers are purchased by weight range, not by age. Thought I'd also note for anyone buying a swim diaper for the first time (that was me, last year) that swim diapers, cloth or disposable, aren't meant to be absorbent in the normal diaper sense: They are meant to a liner with a semi-plasticized outer which fit quite tight on the legs and waist so that any released BM is contained. The caretaker is supposed to get the child out of the water pretty quickly at that point for a quick change. As a note, this diaper does dry quickly, even when the relative humidity is quite high.

The Fit: My son is tall and slim: 35" tall, weighs 27lbs. I'm happy with the fit of the XL (rated 28-33 lbs on the packaging, 26-33lbs on the tag inside the diaper), and for once, he may be able to use it for the entire summer swim season. The legs and waist are still fairly snug but I'm not sure how much they would "contain" if a loose BM was deposited in them but he, of course, is slightly under the recommended weight range, according to the packaging. Interestingly enough, the tag inside the diaper itself says 26-33lbs, but I would say a 28lb start weight range is more accurate, and would following the packaging. Similar to other swim diapers we've used, I would expect that this diaper will be tighter and tighter on the legs and waist as the child goes up towards the end of the weight range. So in short, my assessment is that the XL fits true to size, and I'm suggesting that the 30-33lb child might find this diaper fits tightly enough for containment, and the lighter end of the weight range child might not have the most protection.... In any case, we don't expect to experience this diaper under actual `battle conditions', my son is kinda particular about where he goes, and we're using it under a toddler wetsuit, so we have a second layer of containment. I'll update once we've been using the diaper for another little while.

We have the "Blue Octopus" design and it is very cute. My son seems to enjoy wearing it (well, he doesn't object, and based on his response seems to know he's going swimming shortly). I didn't notice any chafing or irritation with it, and he would wear it for about 1.5 hours a day (we think he might be part fish). We're okay with it not having a side opening mechanism (although I would expect that a side opening would definitely be a desirable feature if the diaper were soiled....). Diaper peels off of him ok once wet. We've even put it on him damp, and it wasn't that difficult to pull onto his legs. In short, we're happy with it even though he's slightly under the weight range, and I'm considering getting him another one for the summer swim season.

[Edit March 2012 - Thought I'd mention that XL swim diaper lasted us out the 2011 swim season (until October 2011) -- my son remained within the weight range listed (max of 33 lbs). As a note, I left that swim diaper drying for many hours in the desert sun almost every day this summer (oops, not my intention...) but it's fine. Definitely happy, will order another one for this year, one size up.]
on July 18, 2011
I did quite a bit of research before purchasing a reusable swim diaper since we have our own pool. I finally decided on the Finis due to others' product reviews, and price. I'm 100% pleased with this purchase. Obviously there is NO fool proof swim diaper, but this swim diaper works fantastic AS A SWIM DIAPER. Honestly, in my opinion, a swim diaper gives you a couple minute window to get the kid out of the pool and cleaned up. No swim diaper is 100% sealed. All this being said, the swim diaper is cute, soft, well made, priced right and keeps in what it is supposed to keep in :)

Yes, having to pull it down (versus pull-apart sides) is not ideal as it can be a bit messy, but the rest of the qualities of this diaper still make it worthy of its purchase.

Oh, it washes up beautifully too!

I highly recommend this reusable swim diaper.
on March 10, 2012
I was hoping I'd never have to test out this swim diaper's ability to hold in poo, and especially messy not-quite-solid poo, but I did! And it worked perfectly! Of course cleaning him up was an ordeal since there was no choice but to pull the diaper down over his legs, but I'd much prefer to have that problem than to have seepage through the sides.

I bought a size large for my 21-22lb baby boy (he's very small for his age) and we've been able to use the same diaper for nearly 7 months now. He's getting close to 25lbs and it still fits pretty well (he's 27months now, but tiny for his age - 10% weight, 10% height).
This diaper has gone through the wash many times now, and is getting only a little bit fuzzy on the outside. Overall, a GREAT swim diaper.
on August 23, 2009
In an effort to create less trash, I decided to buy reusable swim diapers. I used these most of the summer and loved them. I knew a poop in one of these would be bad, but I had no idea. I avoided it at all costs by using a disposable swim diaper before my son "did his business" and these reusable ones after. Sadly, this system failed me miserably and I was left with the MOST disgusting poop-mess known to all. And yes, I've seen a lot of poop. You cannot detach the sides (as you can with a disposable swim diaper), therefore your only course of action is to pull it, along with all of the poop, down your child's legs. I went through my entire container of wipes along with my friend's trying to clean the poop off myself and my child. This diaper went promptly into the trash. I've switched back to disposable swim-diapers and I'm never going back (unless I find a reusable swim-diaper that detaches on both sides of the leg). BEWARE!
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2012
we have an indoor pool and now we save so much on disposable swimm diapers. We bought the next 2 size right from the start. No accidents in the pool even though he had a full diaper!!!!
on July 18, 2011
We have had one of these for a month now and our son loves wearing it, which is half the battle. He hasn't pooped in it, so I can't vouch for it's worthiness, but it seems like it would do the job. He is pretty well potty trained, but we don't want to take any chances.

We had to return our first purchase because it was too small. Our son is 3, but he is only 26 pounds and quite slim. The XL did not fit at all; it was much too small and uncomfortable for him. The XXL is doing the job well. We are buying another for his brother.
on June 25, 2012
So far so good. We haven't had any messes yet. My only complaint is the size. My son is almost 3 and I got an xx-lg, but it's too small and he complains that it hurts. But I like the diaper enough to buy a bigger size.
on August 4, 2010
These fit and look nice. I ordered a size bigger than needed thinking that they may run small but they don't. They also wash well. Definately worth the price...and so much cuter than the disposable swim diapers!