Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars I think the leg holes are meant for fat babies.
When we went for a swimming class at a local kids swimming place they had us buy a swim diaper because our state legally requires babies to wear swim diapers in pools. Well, that's fine. So, over the phone they told me they had swim diapers small enough for my daughter who is 3.5 months old.

Actually, the swim diaper that they sold me was a Finis girls swim...
Published on October 14, 2012 by E. Kerby

3.0 out of 5 stars I think the leg holes are meant for fat babies., October 14, 2012
This review is from: Finis Girls Swim Diapers (Sports)

Actually, the swim diaper that they sold me was a Finis girls swim diaper in medium, which is meant for 6-12 months. It was much too large, so, I figured I would come online and buy a smaller one. So, that's why we bought this Finis swim diaper in the small size.

I tried it on her and the waist size seems about right, but the leg holes are still way too big. I think we're just going to go ahead and use it anyway, because there are not a lot of options for her tiny size, and hopefully she will just grow into it. The leg holes are supposed to be snug, though, so the fit isn't right for her.

If your baby has chubby legs, it may be the right size for you, though. Our baby is kind of a string bean--she's skinny and very tall.

Apart from our sizing problem, this diaper seems to be quite good. It looks well made, I guess that's what I mean.

The packaging says it is machine-washable, but the actual diaper says to hand wash it. I did machine wash it and nothing bad happened.

For the small swim diaper, the leg hole is 9 inches around (without stretching the elastic) and the waist is 12 inches around (without stretching the elastic). So you would probably want your baby's thighs and waist to be a little bigger around than that, in case you want to measure and see if it will fit. The medium actually seems to have about the same diameters, but there is more fabric. So, the crotch is 2.75 inches across for the small and 3.25 inches across for the medium. From the middle of the back of the waist around the bum, down to the middle of the crotch, the small measures 8.5 inches and the medium measures 9 inches.

I guess small and medium are very close in size.

If you have a skinny baby the leg holes will not be snug. That is all.

4.0 out of 5 stars The (un)Scientific Experiment: Finis vs Swimways vs Charlie Banana, July 29, 2013
This review is from: Finis Girls Swim Diapers (Sports)
I tend to do a lot of research before buying, and though it soon became apparent to me that reusuable swim diapers were probably going to be better for my girls than disposable, I couldn't really find a frontrunner for the best kind, the biggest complaint across the board seeming to be that they don't hold in urine. So when I ended up with three different kinds, I decided to put them to the test, pour water in them, and see what happens.

Obviously, if these diapers don't fit snugly on the legs and waist, they will leak out the sides, but I wanted to see how much water they would hold before they leaked through the diaper. So I turned these bum-down and poured water in them, making a big watery puddle in the bum of the diaper until the water got so high it leaked out the sides. I was using a few different sizes, so I didn't bother measuring, but here are my results.

Charlie Banana: This was the smallest size I had, and it was tough getting water in there. A lot of it leaked out the legs because I wasn't holding it level. but none of it leaked through the diaper, even when I dumped it, wrung it out, and poured more in. These impressed me the most because they also felt the softest, so that gave them an edge on the competition.

Finis: These were the largest ones that I had, so I got quite a big puddle of water in the diaper before it started overflowing out the sides. These didn't leak, but I got these as a precaution for my three year-old, who is potty trained but will still occasionally have an accident if she's having too much fun to go potty (plus I'm pretty sure she thinks it's fun to pee in the pool). So I was slightly disappointed that these have somewhat of a plastic-y feel to them. We're planning on telling her that they're "special swim panties," and I even got a tankini top that matches them, so I can use them instead of bottoms. However, I am a little nervous that she's going to see these as a diaper and regress, so the thought that they feel a little more diaper-y isn't the most impressive thing for me.

Swimways: these are the ones that disappointed me. They held water at first, but when I poured it to overflowing, the water very noticeably leaked right through the diaper and dripped until all I had was a wet diaper and a tiny puddle. It's even more sad for me because these are the ones that match perfectly with my baby's adorable rashguard.

Since this is just an experiment and you really have to try these products to see how they're going to work, I still plan to take them with me on our vacation. Obviously, there's more things than just the "water test" to consider, but I thought this might be helpful for people who are shopping. We're going on vacation soon and plan to use these as we swim all day, every day; if I feel like I've found anything more to contribute after using them so heavily, I will update this review.

1.0 out of 5 stars MAJOR embarrasing poop accident, June 14, 2013
This review is from: Finis Girls Swim Diapers (Sports)
Okay -- I am writing this review because this afternoon I took my 2 year old daughter to the pool. She was wearing for the first time this pink diaper swim (right size for her, 2T). She is 50th percentile height and 40% percentile weight.
At one point she pooped in it and as soon as I realized I tried to lift her out of the pool water. The diaper sagged because of the water and diluted poop in it and all the poop came out and disolved in the pool.

The lifeguard had to "evacuate" the 25+ people who were having a nice time at the pool, including about 5 children who were taking the expensive swim lessons. Someone asked when the pool was going to reopen and the lifeguard said "tomorrow".

Needless to say, I was totally mortified and embarrassed and I am going back to my disposable swim diapers, which do the job they are expected to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, May 30, 2013
This review is from: Finis Girls Swim Diapers (Sports)
I love this diaper works very well, my daughter hasn't had a poo accident in it so I can tell you how it works with that but for sizing my daughter wears a size 4 diapers in pamers and huggies is 12 months, was 10 months when we bought it, she weighs 21 pounds and the large fits her perfect, so if you want to compare for sizing thats what I got.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this swim diaper, July 30, 2012
Noelle (Los Altos, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Finis Girls Swim Diapers (Sports)
We have a pool in our backyard, so we use a lot of swim diapers. I'm very happy with this one. The 3T size fits my tall two year old without leaving marks on her legs like the iplay diapers sometimes do. I love that it doesn't have any ruffles, making it thin enough for her to compfortably wear under her suits. We'll definitely be buying more.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Purchases & Very Good, June 15, 2014
This review is from: Finis Girls Swim Diapers (Sports)
Grandma's learning about different sizing. I bought both Finis Swim Diapers: Pink in X-LG (18-24M) & Lime Green in LG/22-28lbs. for 12M, 22lbs, 29.5" granddaughter. Noticed the pricing was different according to the size you choose. This ran a bit larger then LG/22-28lbs., although maybe enough to get another season next summer. The leg openings were fine, not gapping, neither size left elastic marks, both fit her diapers inside (I use in public pools i.e. for solids), the material is soft, simple bikini style, versatile with other tops.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good swim diaper but agree run small, March 11, 2014
This review is from: Finis Girls Swim Diapers (Sports)
Based on other reviews we got the smaller size for our daughter who was 3 months at the time. She is a larger baby length wise and they fit fine. She is 6 months now and they still fit although a bit snug.

4.0 out of 5 stars Work well over a disposable diaper., March 9, 2014
BaJayne (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Finis Girls Swim Diapers (Sports)
These work really well, but you really can't rely on them alone. For one thing, if your baby poos in there while in the pool or jacuzzi, it is going to be a big mess taking them off. I would recommend putting it on over their disposable diaper, and it will keep it from turning to complete mush.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for 10 month old, February 11, 2014
This review is from: Finis Girls Swim Diapers (Sports)
The large worked well for our 10 month old, on a trip to Hawaii. She was probably right around 20 lbs at the time, trim through the middle, but with chunky thighs. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for your water baby, February 10, 2014
This review is from: Finis Girls Swim Diapers (Sports)
Love love love! We used these in salt and chlorine and they are still effective after 6 months! I will continue to purchase these in the future!

Finis Girls Swim Diapers