4.0 out of 5 stars Very convenient to use in an office environment
We have this machine in our office, a unit of a large entertainment corporation. It's a very convenient appliance that sees a lot of use every day. Our floor is about 30-40 people and this machine happily attends to all our caffeine needs.

Published on September 16, 2010 by BBP

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality coffee
Published 18 months ago by Mark Davis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very convenient to use in an office environment, September 16, 2010

It's very reliable and easy to use. In the year+ I've been here, it has only broken down once, requiring a service call from a repair technician. To use, select the brew strength and service option (over ice, big, small, etc) and the motorized door opens for you to insert the brew pack. For added safety, there's a sensor to detect the presence of a cup. If you remove the cup, dispensing stops until you move the cup back under the sensor. You can also get hot water by itself from the machine. The cup rests on a platform that catches and holds spilled liquid. Behind it is a waste collection drawer holds about 30 spent packs and emptying it takes literally 10 seconds. Slide out the cup platform, then slide out the drawer, dump, and put back.

A few considerations:

- One thing I don't like is the amount of waste produced. Each single-serve pack is made of plastic and needs to be discarded. I've tried other machines in the past that used round filter pods. They're more environmentally friendly, but much messier, so it's a trade-off.

- You are tied to Mars because the packs are specially made for the machine.

- There's no sensor override feature. Sometimes I just want water for my Bodum French coffee press. It fits under the dispenser if I take off the platform, but then, it won't activate the sensor unless I hold it there. I have to use a regular cup to get water.

- No easy way to clean the nozzle except by dispensing some hot water. This will flush some of the residual coffee taste out of the system when you're trying to make other drinks (like green tea, for example).

Overall, a heavy-duty and very easy to use machine that can keep up with a busy office. Free coffee and tea is a great morale booster and the Flavia system is definitely worth investigating. Mars offers a wide selection of coffees, black and green teas, chai, and hot chocolate. We have about 20 flavors at the office.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality coffee, August 23, 2013
This review is from: FLAVIA Creation 400 Drinks Station with Trial Pak (Grocery)
We have one of these in my office. Look - I realize that it has various features that make it a good product for an office with a lot easier. It's fast, it's easy, there's no cleanup for users, it can brew a variety of drinks. However, the biggest problem is that the end result just isn't very good. I mean, I realize it's instant coffee, and I'm no huge fan of Keurig either, but this just doesn't make good coffee.

Perhaps I'm spoiled. My last job had Starbucks Interactive Cup single-server brewers, which make absolutely fantastic coffee - but the end result here just isn't very good, especially considering the eye-popping cost of the machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too little coffee!, January 19, 2013
OK we have this in our office and HATE it. Convient yes...coffee taste good...yes. Volume too little...6oz. I measured it. The main idea is to sell coffee. Must buy coffee from them...no reusable "bag" to use with your own coffee. So to get full cup need 2 bags! Twice the cost of any other supplier. Avoid the trap. Too little selection as well. $$$$

2.0 out of 5 stars Truly awful, November 6, 2013
September "sept_ember" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
We have four of these machines at my office and I can only assume somebody's nephew works for Nestle or something because there's no other reason to have one of these. Every day, at least one of these machines aborts mission about two ounces into what's supposed to be a cup of coffee (nevermind how many ounces you'll get - you just have to guess! There are no settings to indicate how much coffee you want!), and all of them spit the coffee in about eight different directions. A literal spray. Move your cup to try to catch the stream of coffee it's spitting, and the machine will detect that the cup isn't under the spout and stop brewing. Hold a paper towel in front of it to protect your clothing, but that won't stop it from running all over the counters and into drawers and cupboards. We probably spend 6x as much on paper towels now as we did before we replaced our Keurigs with these abominations. The instructions on the display aren't clear; it doesn't tell you ahead of time, for example, that you'll need two envelopes to make a particular drink. The waste receptacle is small and fills up quickly and has to be emptied frequently. Each envelope is a lot of packaging for very little coffee and of course my office only supplies Nestle company brand coffees (which are pretty terrible as coffee goes, and I'm not even a coffee snob). There's apparently only one decaf option, unlike other popular single-serve options. I rated it two stars because if you're willing to take the above precautions, are prepared to clean spills for each and every cup, and keep an extra cup handy for potential overflow that could happen since you get a random amount of fluid each time, you can successfully come away with a cup of coffee (and increased blood pressure).

1.0 out of 5 stars Inferior and Shockingly Overpriced, January 3, 2013
We have this Flavia machine in our office, and it is the most inferior coffeemaker I have ever used. As another reviewer has stated, the worst feature is the fact that you can only fill 8oz Flavia cups. The machine will not give you any more liquid than that. This is especially frustrating if you are using a version of this machine that costs money every time you get a drink, as you have to pay for a very small amount of coffee.

If you try to use your own cup that is larger than 8oz, you have to remove the base, and it will still only give you 8oz of liquid. This is a huge limitation of this machine, and it boggles the mind why the designers would not put in a feature to program alternate cup sizes. One is left to conclude that they want you to be forced to continuously buy their cups instead of using your own.

What's more, if you are not using one of the standard Flavia cups, the machine will often stop brewing in the middle of the cycle because it thinks you do not have a cup under it. Instead of pausing and resuming once you have angled the cup the right way, you simply get that much less liquid. For every second that it pauses, that is one less ounce of coffee you will get. Countless times, I have paid for coffee only to get the equivalent of a shot glass' worth.

The coffee itself is typically from Alterra, and I find it to be mediocre at best. I have had instant coffee that tasted better. The machine only accepts pouches that specifically are made for Flavia, and the selection is limited. The machine does not accept K-Cups, which is the industry standard with a wide variety of roasts and blends.

Maybe all of these flaws would be acceptable if the price was right. Incredibly, however, this Flavia coffeemaker costs over a thousand dollars. You could buy an extremely high quality industrial espresso machine for a comparable price, yet this is a low quality piece of junk. If you are looking for a single serve brewer for a home or office environment, the clear choice is to just go with a Keurig instead, or some other such machine that allows flexibility in drink size and accepts K-Cups. Do not waste another second considering Flavia. It will cause frustration at home, and lost productivity in the office.

1.0 out of 5 stars The end of Good Coffee with this unit, April 25, 2014
We just had this put in our office in place of a major brand of coffee ...where I could fill my huge mug with 100% high quality Arabica. This Flavia dispenser fills my mug 1/4 full and tastes like instant coffee. No thanks. I now have a French press at my desk and bring my own coffee. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee machine, March 1, 2013
I've been in the coffee business in several stages for 10 years now. Working as an importer and distributer. I came across this machine at a customers office. I fell in love with it. So.... I bought one! The simplicity of use and $ saving I do is worth the price.

Yes it has its limitations as do all single cup coffee brewers do. Like the k cups machine, they only make coffee. I read complaints of how you only get an 8oz pour out of it. If you wanted a larger one then make it again. Now you have 16oz. Duh!!! People complain that we're to fat as a country. It's called portion control.

The pouches are not that expensive. Around .50 cents a cup. Depending on where you buy and who distributes them. I have a delivery service at my home and was able to negotiate a good price do to the amount of business I do with them. The I indulgence ones like Dove chocolate and Milky Way chocolate are a bit more like .65 cents a pouch but your paying for the name, and they are tasty.

This machine makes lattes, espressos, mochas, hot chocolates. It's really cool and easy to use my 4 year old uses it all the time. I WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO ANY OTHER SINGLE CUP BREWER EVER.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tried to be friends, machine doesn't compromise, February 5, 2015
We have this machine in my office. In theory, it is great for an office environment - 1.) there's an abundance of flavors and choices, which doesn't restrict an entire office to drink the same thing, and 2) it makes one cup at a time so no one gets the dregs of the pot or is constantly the person having to make more.

However, that's where the positives end.

1.) Coffee is worse than K-cup. If you think K-cup is watered down, the machine will make K-cup look like gourmet coffee. The trick is to use three packets per 8 ounce cup of coffee, selecting Espresso Roast or Iced Coffee to give you a mediocre-strong cup of coffee that doesn't taste as much like dirty water. But this defeats the idea of this machine and ends up costing more per cup than a Keurig or a good coffee machine.

2.) This coffee is so watery, it stays warm for all of fifteen minutes. That means if you want hot coffee, you have fifteen minutes to gulp it down before it gets cold.

3.) I'm not actually sure if it's the pace of drinking or the coffee itself, but I get extreme headaches after drinking this coffee. Could be dehydration too. I don't have enough research and frankly I don't want to endure anymore of this crappy coffee to report real findings.

4.) I like to use mugs for my coffee because it keeps my coffee warm and Flavia definitely needs something working in its favor to keep the coffee warm. Forget trying to put a mug under this machine. Yes, you can remove the bottom part and fit your mug in there, but whoever designed this model did not program or test it outside of 8 ounce cups. Once you put a mug of a different height or one that requires the liquid to fall farther into the cup, it splashes EVERYWHERE. It's burning hot, spitting everywhere. That's if the machine registers there's a cup there - most of the time, it doesn't. This forces employees to waste paper cups instead of wash and reuse a mug. I'm not particularly an environmental freak, but this angers me.

No office coffee machine is perfect. There's always going to be something to complain about. But in my experience, I have never had to deal with something so user-unfriendly. It's like they designed it to be a pain in the behind, and no one needs any more of that at work.

3.0 out of 5 stars but EVERYONE loved the machine, November 14, 2014
As the Barrista in the office, meaning I am charge of ordering and cleaning I am on the fence with this product.

I don't drink coffee

We had a Keurig, and did a taste test with Marley's Coffee and their Real Cup machine and Flavia. NO ONE wanted Starbucks.

If only we could have Flavia coffee and the Real Cup.

For most Marley's coffee was too strong (like Starbucks), but EVERYONE loved the machine.

We have our Keruig and the Flavia machines currently. We need to use up all of the Green Mountain Coffee and then will return it.

Love that Flavia containers are recyclable and are made into TREX type products. Everyone likes the coffee. I love the Dove hot chocolate (too much love) and the option of mocha and latte is a big crowd pleaser.

Having both machines shows that you for sure get less than 80z of coffee and I showed our salesman when he came in. He called Flavia and he was not happy to learn the machine was not adjustable to make the true 8oz that he was told to sell.

I have a feeling we will be going to Marley, but using the Martinson brand coffee they carry. Lots of options with the Real Cup machine for size, AND the parts are replaceable if they break unlike a Keurig, (not sure on Flavia) which goes straight to the landfill (with all the non-recyclable k-cups you use).

4.0 out of 5 stars FLAVIA for home use, January 1, 2015
My son just bought me the FLAVIA 200 for Christmas. We have been Keurig users for years, so this was an adjustment. I was disappointed with the plain coffee feature. My coffee cup was partially filled and the taste was lacking. We were going to return the unit, but my supply of the FLAVIA froth arrived from Amazon and I was able to try the Latte feature. Everything changed. It was the most delicious coffee ever. Smooth, creamy and rich, my family is in love. I would not drink a plain cup of coffee from the machine, but I am now a daily latte lady and very happy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›