All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99

on September 15, 2000
Pitt is back with his trusty companions trying to thwart the evil plans of a Chinese madman whose intentions of diverting the Mississippi River. Coupled with a slave ring of illegal immigrants from China, a gang of ruthless killers stalking Pitt and a lovely Chinese American INS agent, Cussler weaves an interesting tale and even writes himself into this story that was both clever and humorous. Plenty of narrow escapes, witty dialog, a nefarious villian (but a close group of henchmen was missing) and a great story of a missing passenger ship fleeing the Communist take over of China and a fortune of vanished artifacts. Blend these together and it spells another terrific tale from Cussler. Not the best, but certainly entertaining reading and not to be passed over. Once again, Al, Sandecker and company work with Pitt who uses his charm, snappy come backs and his trusty .45 Colt to save the day.
I consider myself a professional Clive Cussler reader...only because I've read EVERYTHING of his (in print that I'm aware of) and I have corrosponded with him on occasion. Now with that arrogant statement out of the way, I do not pretend to be a close friend, or even a decent acquaintance, however I DO know Dirk, Al, Rudi and Sandecker as well as can be expected, and I can tell the better Pitt stories from the lesser brilliant ones. This is a great 'starter' Pitt story, sort of a beginners Cussler book... but STILL fun. It seems as though we get one good Pitt novel to every GREAT Pitt novel. This isn't 'Raise The Titanic' or 'Cyclops' or even 'Sahara' but it IS an above-average adventure story (as are ALL of Cussler's books). If you are looking to get to know Dirk Pitt, by far THE best character in modern adventure fiction, I suggest you start here, and work up to his newest (and easily one of his best) 'Atantis Found'. Clive is a stud, and so is Pitt. See for yourself.
on May 18, 2005
When you pick up a book by Clive Cussler, you know what you are getting into. There will be nonstop action, some unbelievable developments, a couple of twists, maybe a little xenophobia, and of course, enough machismo to to supply an Army.

"Flood Tide" is no different. Opening with Dirk Pitt trying to get in a little fishing, and winding up saving a large number of illegal immigrants, it just gets better. This book is literally jam-packed with action and adventure as Pitt tries to stop a Chinese arch-criminal from carrying out his diabolical plan to make China the most powerful nation in the world(kind of like "Dragon," only a few miles to the west). There's an excellent sequence with the mercenary warship Oregon (now with its own spinoff series), a thrilling battle on the Mississippi river, and a search for underwater treasure. In fact, if I have a complaint about the book, it's that it's too sprawling. A little bit of the urgency bleeds away since Pitt and pal Giordino have time to travel the globe and do everything they must. In addition, after the huge developments in the middle of the book, the final showdown with the villain seemed a little weak. Nonetheless, for an excellent adventure novel, look no further than "Flood Tide."
on June 11, 2015
While still reading the book, I find it hard to put down. I came to this one as a way to get anything more I can to read about Juan Cabrillo, "Chairman" of the 'Oregon Files' (his first appearance is in this book) of which I've read every one and still want more.
I haven't read a Dirk Pitt novel since 'Raise the Titanic'. Having bought the movie, I can only picture Pitt as looking like Richard Jordan.
A few pages in this adventure bring to mind the short story "The Unparalleled Invasion' by Jack London.
on June 28, 2000
This is my first Dirk Pitt novel and I was so very surprised by this book. A friend of mine recommended his newest book Atlantis or this one and I picked this one. CC is a great adventure writer. The book is suspense driven. I read this book in 2 days flat. It is a record for me. Don't pass this blockbuster up if you are a fans of adventure. Dirk is the classic hero who gets the girl in the end. My friend also recommended Du Brul's Charon's Landing. Don't forget a YES or NO Helpful to the review and check out my other reviews; you won't be sorry. A great story is only a click away.
Great fun in reading this book I hope Atlantis is just as good.
on December 10, 2014
Great read! Clive Cussler has a way of writing that pulls you into the story. He seems to hypnotize the reader and you become a part of the action...you almost converse with the characters themselves.
I highly recommend this book as well as all the Dirk Pitt series.
on August 27, 2013
Reading "Flood Tide" for the second time (first time was in 2001) was every bit as enjoyable as the first go-around. Moreover, while the references to the pre-DHS, pre-9/11 INS are a bit dated and anachronistic, speaking myself as someone who worked for two of INS's successor agencies, Customs & Border Protection (as a uniformed Officer at L.A./Long Beach Seaport, wherein Chinese stowaways, smuggled by the "snakeheads" of the Chinese triad crime syndicates, have been a repeat occurrence) and Immigration & Customs Enforcement (as a Special Agent, just like the Julia Lee character), I can definitely relate to the Chinese immigrant smuggling theme as a plot element relevant to the real world.

SPOIILER ALERT: For a book written in 1997, the element of a near-disaster affecting the Mississippi River, more specifically Louisiana and Mississippi, seems eerily prescient with 20-20 hindsight, looking back at Hurricane Katrina....the difference of course being that Katrina was a force of Mother Nature while the near-disaster in the novel is a man-made one.

Two nitpicks: (1) while the romance between Dirk Pinn and INS Special Agent Julia Lee is an enjoyable one, it seems hard to believe that he's able to "rebound (for lack of a better word) so quickly from the loss of his beloved Maeve from "Shockwave" (the previous novel in the series); (2) in every other Dirk Pitt novel that I've recently read, Pitt is described by Cussler as having "wavy" hair, yet in this one he has "curly" hair. Say what?

That aside, another fun-filled Cussler-Pitt-Giordino adventure, highly recommended.
on November 3, 2011
Just finishing the last few pages of this book... It is like several stories in one and just when you think the adventure should be over, another one is on the horizon. This is my 4th Dirk Pitt book and I think this one ranks up there with Inca Gold, which still remains to be my favorite. Iceberg, so far, was my least favorite. Treasure of Khan was also pretty good but this book contains more "on the edge of your seat" fun.
on January 10, 2015
I remember getting off work early from the rubber extrusion plant, where I’d been working in 150 degree heat surrounded by noxious chemical fumes, jumping in the truck and driving for two and a half hours down to Ft. Worth, Texas. Along the way, the right rear wheel felt funny. I stopped in a small farm town and discovered I had no lug nuts on the wheel. Luckily a tractor shop had some lug nuts that fit, otherwise, I never would’ve made it to the book signing where I bought this novel and met one of my writing heroes.

Despite not having a chance to change clothes or clean up, Clive was very gracious and we had a bit of a chat about several things as he posed for a photo, which to this day, I still have hanging in my work cubicle.

I never had a chance to review Flood Tide back then because I barely had an Internet connection, let alone did any reviews here on Amazon. However, I still remember the story as I was already writing my own novels, heavily inspired by Cussler.

In this one, which involves a Chinese ship with treasure, Dirk and company go on the usual wild chases all over the place. The everything-but-the-kitchen-sink plot elements are all there as well as the corny humor and of course, the inevitable appearance by none other than Clive himself.

Told in solid third-person, though he did head-hop a bit, it was something back then that I didn’t notice as much with my lack of experience as an editor and writer. Now I might cringe more and it might bother me, but back then, without that knowledge, it was just something that confused me at certain places but still didn’t get in the way of a great story.

This was Cussler at his best and I closed the book with a smile on my face. Highly recommended.
on July 11, 2012
Back when Flood Tide first came out, it was the first Clive Cussler novel I had ever read. The quality of Cussler novels has declined over the years with the addition of co-authors and his son(*&%^%$#@!), but re-reading this book this past week was like visiting with an old friend.

All the elements of classic Cussler are here--a terrific villain, a window on the past with the S.S. United States, a beautiful girl, and Pitt's orange Duesenberg, my personal favorite of the classic cars featured in the series over the years. It is also noteworthy that Flood Tide is the series debut of Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the Oregon, characters which later formed the spin-off Oregon Files series. I liked them best when they were working with Pitt, but that's just me.

If you're looking for a great adventure read and you've never picked up a Cussler--this one is a great place to start. Highly recommended. And incidentally, why is a great book like this not available for my Kindle? Time to light a fire under the hindquarters of somebody's publisher!