on January 25, 2015
FOREVER GIRL by Rebecca Hamilton is a read that’s perfect at midnight or any other time! It effortlessly straddles the line between inventive thriller, mystery, teasy-hot romance and spine-tingling adventure. It’s sort of like having the perfect beach day and a romp through the cemetery on Halloween happen at the same time!

Sophia Parsons is in the midst of a dilemma. She has a strange static in her head that she can’t seem to get rid of. Is this curse simply the result of having an analog tuner set between channels? That’s what she needs to find out, but it’s hard when you’re unable to talk about the problem. Sophia decides to conduct her own investigation, and along the way, meets a whole host of characters —including a hot guy named Charles with the dreamiest teal eyes. *drool*

I’ve gotta say that this novel delivers on all levels. Beautifully written, there’s snappy dialog, a very imaginative storyline, and some of the best descriptive passages I’ve read in a quite a while. These sections are uber important since they allow the world Ms. Hamilton created to fully spring to life. The protagonist Sophia is likeable with a very quirky way of phrasing her thoughts and emotions. She’s feisty, but very vulnerable. It’s a tricky balancing act, but this uniqueness is key and carried throughout the cast. All the members of this ensemble are each given a uniqueness that makes them interesting and keeps them from being all lumped together in some awful fondue-like mélange. While it takes more time for an author to imbue each with their own personality and not make them stereotypical, it’s a joy for the reader and something we appreciate.

The pacing is taut with just the right amount of sticky flirty stuff to give us a refreshing respite from the mystery of where Ms. Hamilton is leading us. I loved the interplay between Sophia and her boy … well, “creature” toy. Their growing attraction added a richness to the story, but there was plenty of the paranormal to keep us on our toes and wondering who is what and what team they were really playing on. And you gotta love a book that features Elementals, a hot spot called Club Flesh and the forces of the Universe conspiring to help one little slip of a girl right the bad things going on in the world. In fact, I’d suggest the Universe enlist the aid of about a kabillion more people in that endeavor!

I very much enjoyed FOREVER GIRL. Oh, and as for the title: a big shoutout to the backstory and how this particular phrase came about. There’s a story-in-a-story tucked away in here, and gosh do I love that sort of thing! Nothing gives me more chills than when someone adds in a flashback where we’re taken through history and allowed to see what really happened through a character’s eyes. It’s bang on done right and I thoroughly savored that excursion into time.

I HIGHLY recommend this book and suggest you pick yourself up a copy. You’ll appreciate the attention to detail that Ms. Hamilton uses; she obviously did her homework. But the fact that she didn’t stop there and chose to put her own spin on things is what makes FOREVER GIRL so special and a book you’ll love.
on March 5, 2012
I'd seen some tweets concerning The Forever Girl by Rebecca Hamilton, but hadn't fully sought it out. The cover was pretty, and the author's tweets were fun. Finally, last week, after stumbling across the book for the millionth time, I took it as a sign. This book was intended for me.

I can say now, my only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner!

I won't give you too much back story. Partially because you can read the synopsis above, but mostly I don't trust myself with spoilers.

The bones of the tale are this: Sophia is an average girl, living in a painfully small town. She is very much the `Boo Radley' of the neighborhood due to her Wiccan religion, and a very overzealous Christian woman who hopes to rid the town of her evil. As if being stalked by a crazy lady wasn't enough, Sophia must deal with a constant hissing, a buzz that rattles around in her brain 24/7. She managed to go to college, and now hold a job, but the constant noise never leaves her mind. Curing her curse is her number one priority. That is until she meets a whole host of supernatural beings, some dangerous, some carrying very human burdens, and one downright sexy. She finds herself embroiled in a centuries old battle, first to find out about her own ancestry, then to save those she loves.

I loved this book, and I'll give you just a few reasons why although I could probably come up with dozens.

I was a Wiccan for fifteen years. Rebecca Hamilton has been the ONLY fiction author I have ever read who described ritual, as well as Wiccan beliefs accurately and completely. For her insight and research, I applaud and respect her.

The main character Sophia drew me in from the beginning of the book. She has a crazy mother (who can't relate to that) and is trying very hard to live her life, despite her hardships financially as well as medically (the constant noise in her head) As the book evolved my only complaint was Sophia's fear of her own power and her raging self doubt. More than once, I wanted to hop into the story, shake her like a ragdoll and tell her she was strong enough to do anything! (There is also a sex scene I wouldn't have minded hopping into as well. I'm telling ya, buy the book!)

Keeping the storyline moving was the lovable Charles. He is a member of the supernatural realm, and I don't want to say too much on that, but he oozes sex appeal. He added some much needed humor to the extremely serious Sophia, and helped to keep the story moving at a good pace. Not to mention he sounds drop dead gorgeous, and there are a few scenes not intended for children in the book.

I have to tip my hat to Hamilton for my favorite line in the book. I don't know if it was an intended knock on the ever popular yet poorly written Twilight series or not but as Charles pops up at Sophia's window one night, she crossly asks him if he's spying on her.

His response? "You're not so interesting that I came to watch you sleep, darlin'."

Rarely does a line literally make me laugh out loud as that one did.

Hamilton also manages to put together an excellent "supporting cast" of characters, including Sophia's best friend Ivory, and Charles's best friend Adrian. The characters are not only rich and welcoming additions, but they end up having very deep and meaningful backgrounds that assist in tying the entire story into a neat little bow. Personally, I love neat little bows, and so I was in reader heaven.
All in all the book was great. It wrapped up nicely while still leaving a few questions unanswered for the next books in the series. Those books I will not hesitate to buy.
on April 1, 2012
The Forever Girl centres on a sassy girl called Sophia, who is a Wiccan struggling with life and looking for answers. This is a paranormal romance/mystery and I really enjoyed it, although it can get quite complicated to follow at times. It has strong characters and an epic storyline that kept me guessing till the end. It is well edited and the writing flows well too, which is always a plus in my book.

The story is True Blood meets elements of The Crucible (I love both) so it was right up my street, but may not appealing to everyone.

I look forward to reading the next instalment in this promising series.

Rachel Dove, The Kindle Book Review
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 19, 2014
"My mom died during an exorcism on my eighteenth birthday. On that same day, an ever present static moved into my head like a squatter I couldn't evict."

This might be one of the best openers that I've read in a long time. With that, Rebecca Hamilton grips you and doesn't let go. Her writing is extremely impressive; she has a mature, thoughtful and confident writing voice that grounds you in the story.
In The Forever Girl, Hamilton expertly takes you on a journey filled with vampires and unique creatures, suspense and romance, twists and turns. The narration flows smoothly, like Hamilton is skillfully pulling through a thread without a knot.
Her characters have souls. Sophia is a great heroine. Relatable. Strong-willed. Funny. And her chemistry with Charles smoulders perfectly until it bursts into satisfying flames.
Rebecca Hamilton's debut novel has received much acclaim, been optioned for a film and amassed tons of five star ratings -- and all of the success is well-earned! Fantastic work!
on February 22, 2012
This novel is unusually well written- If Hamilton was the first writer to break into vampire and paranormal literature, she would have busted the doors wide open and made it difficult for other writers to surpass her writing style. She paints pictures with words like I have never read before and writes as if she is a well seasoned old author who has been doing this all her life. The funny thing is, she isn't - she is a young author and I am completely astounded at the level of work she is producing. The only unfortunate thing about this particular piece of work is that it does trail behind all of the current popular vampire/paranormal books that are out there. What I mean to say is that although she does incorporate new characters/elements and creates a truly unique story- the subject matter is so closely related to an over-saturated market that it could possibly get lost in the pile, which would be unfortunate. If I met someone who has never read Twilight or Anne Rice or any other popular book in this genre- I would tell them to start with The Forever Girl by Rebecca Hamilton, because it really does lead the pack with literary genius. I am one of the few people who couldn't get passed the first chapter of Twilight because although I loved the story, the writing is appalling...and that is after they hired a copyediter to correct the immature writings of Meyer. The Forever Girl is a perfect example of a well written self-published book that the public can trust to provide a compelling story with writing precision. If you are a person who can recognize a brilliant new author, then please check her out. I look forward to reading more literature from her with hopefully a new subject, since she is the type of writer to have the talent to create her own genre.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2013
I thought this was a book intended for female audience. I actually bought one as a gift for a girl-friend however I wanted to know if she would like it so I thought it would be a good idea to read it myself.

To be honest, at first I thought this novel would be something like Twilight (which I don't like at all), but luckily I was wrong. It's a very well written novel, it's intense, detailed and interesting. I love the way Mrs. Hamilton gives you every little detail (which is very feminine by the way) about smells, places, situations, it feels like you're there seeing and sensing everything. I enjoyed this book, it took me a while though, but was worth the read.
on February 20, 2012
Tantalizing. Extraordinary. Captivating. Rebecca Hamilton filled the pages with beautiful, vivid, descriptive prose that easily transforms into images. I love when authors think outside of the box to describe a scenery or character, when they turn simple words into lyrical sentences, evoking emotions. Rebecca Hamilton does this, pairing it with a strong, fresh plot line and characters that carry the story(instead of the other way around).

Sophia is the epitome of a perfect female protagonist. She is strong-willed, intelligent, open minded and is able to keep her wits and morals intact. She battles with her inner struggles in such a way that many readers will be able to relate to her, becoming dazzled by her as we live the story through her. Charles is also a fantastic character. Deep, determined and open minded like Sophia. We get to slowly scratch away his many layers as the story and relationship progress. Secrets are kept, trust is tested.

As the story progresses, the plot line will lead us in ways that were unforeseen. Even with the mild foreshadowing that the author sneaks in to keep our interest piqued. This is not a world just thrown together to produce a story. This is a story steeped in musty history and rich facts that brings every intricate detail into sharp focus. Every world flows together with purpose. The romance is so pure that it lends a sweeter taste to the eeriness of the story.

This is a new world of vampires, shapeshifters and witches that stands alone in it's own realm. This is a book that will grab your attention, refusing to let go. The eerie world that Rebecca Hamilton has created in The Forever Girl has and will keep capturing the attention of readers. And rightfully so! I was completely 100% absorbed in The Forever Girl from the first page. The story will linger, the characters will haunt until we are satisfied by reading the next book.
on April 5, 2014
I simply could not get enough of this book. It pulled me in from literally the first sentence and didn't let me go until well after I finished the last page. The writing is insanely good. The voice is clear and layered. Sophia, the main character, is someone that I connected with early on. Her plight is something most everyone can relate to, as we've probably all felt like outsiders at one point or another. You can tell that the author did her homework in researching the Wiccan religion, as scenes and commentary hold an authenticity that would be hard to fake.

The story is fastpaced where it needs to be, but it also gives you time to discover the characters at your own pace. I was completely drawn into the story, in large part due to the sassy and thoroughly entertaining voice. The narrative is spot on, and Sophia is a character who more than holds her own against all the story throws at her.

I cannot wait to dig into the next book in the series. I enjoyed this book immensely and will be a fan of Rebecca Hamilton for as long as she chooses to write.
on March 13, 2012
I am not a book "reviewer" so if you want a typical review with plot outline and insight, I will disappoint but what I can give is the honest thoughts on this book from a real person. I received a copy of this e-book from the author during a giveaway she sponsored.

It seems so many books these days are geared toward the paranormal but not like this one. Rebecca takes a group of interesting, relate-able characters and spins a story that draws you in completely. She defined the characters and the story in such a way that only made you want to know more. This book kept me awake late a night more than once because I just did not want to put it down.

I have gushed over this book to anyone who will listen to me and recommend it to all my friends and family.

If I did not know this was Rebecca's debut novel, I never would have known she was a new author. Her book smacks of talent and I eagerly await book 2.
on January 29, 2012
After seeing the first chapter of The Forever Girl on the author's blog, I was hooked! With the book's release, I immediately ordered the eBook and I couldn't put it down!

Rebecca Hamilton has created a whole new take on the vampire (and other critter) genre. Her mythos is intricate and completely original in my experience, but remains easily accessible. As the reader discovers this new world alongside Sophie (the protagonist), they are skillfully eased into the experience. Layer upon layer, the world is built for us as we are lead deeper into its labyrinthine paths.

And I don't use the term "labyrinthine" lightly! The story features twists and surprises that leave you reeling. Even some of the twists have twists!

The characters have depth and complexities that make them interesting without making them broken marionettes with a single string to emote through. Meanwhile, the romantic subplot manages to propel the story without dominating every second of the reader's attention. This was key for my own enjoyment. Supernatural romances aren't my normal cup of tea, but this one was done so well that I was able to cheer for the romance along with the rest of the characters' struggles.

A unique world, high speed twists, characters with believable motivations, and an over-arching story that I can't wait to read more of! What's not to like?