4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised with the battery life
This radio is an excellent radio for the price. No, it is not a top-end emergency radio, but it should work rather well for anyone looking for a basic AM/FM/Weather radio with both a solar and hand-crank charging option. I purchased mine about a year ago and used it only occasionally for the first few months. Then I placed it on a shelf with limited light and there it sat...
Published on November 29, 2009 by Mark Wagner

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT USE IT TO CHARGE IPHONE !!!!
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THIS TO CHARGE AN IPHONE !!!! I have a 32GB 3GS that I purchased in February. I purchased the Eton Microlink FR160 for a Cub Scout campout to celebrate the 100 years of scouting. We were camping in a farm field with no access to electricity. When I used it to charge my iPhone, it FRIED IT! I mean no phone, all loss of data, completely black...
Published on May 21, 2010 by JeffZman

‹ Previous | 1 2 395 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Peace of Mind..., October 19, 2009
Overall a good product. Flashlight is not the brightest but being able to charge it via handcrank makes it a great "kitchen drawer" emergency light and radio. The built in solar cell actually makes a case for keeping it on the windowsill so it will always be ready when you need it. Smaller than I originally imagined but in a good way. It's nice to use around the house knowing I'll never have to buy another battery... at least for this gadget.

1.0 out of 5 stars This piece of junk, November 13, 2011
mattseaton "mattseaton" (London, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Very appealing idea: a hand-cranked, battery-less radio (with flashlight) and even a solar panel.

Unfortunately, it's very poorly made. The switches are flimsy and make accurate tuning almost impossible. And the shoddy quality made its true nature felt when first the volume control stopped working properly after a few weeks, and then the charge from a vigorous cranking would last to run the radio for only a minute or so.

In other words, the item rendered itself useless -- just a few days outside the Amazon returns window.

So, to anyone thinking of buying this radio, a simple one-word piece of advice: don't.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not charge iPhone 3GS, September 17, 2009
Ken Andrews (Reston, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This is a solid unit that works well with our iPod Touch but will not charge my iPhone 3GS unless you turn the crank at EXACTLY the right speed. This is something that I have only been able to do for a few seconds at a time which makes it useless for charging the phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Solar worked one week, May 27, 2011
This review is from: Etn FR160GR Microlink Self-Powered AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio with Flashlight, Solar Power and Cell Phone Charger (Green) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought this after another friend suggested Eton. He said it was best to use it the first few weeks to make sure it worked so I did. It is a good looking machine, and the color was pretty cool. I liked that it had USB charging capabilities.

I used it in the sun in my kitchen and it ran nicely off the solar cell. This lasted about a month then the solar cell stopped working as it had. I know crank it with the crank arm and this works nicely, but I really liked the multi-function of this thing. I really hoped it would be more sturdy and hold up and a solar cell that only works 30 days is not even worth putting on the machine. Too bad. It was a good idea.

2.0 out of 5 stars For emergencies only., July 25, 2009
Collin Sherman (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Take the description "emergency radio" to heart, as this should really be used in case of an emergency. The primary problem with this radio is reception. The width of the tuning dial is miniscule, which means that all the stations are virtually on top of each other. When scanning FM stations where the stations are densely packed together, such as in the 80s and lower 90s in New York City, where there will be five stations for every whole number on the dial (i.e., stations at 90.1, 90.3, 90.5, etc.), the radio will inevitably skip over certain stations because there is not enough space on the dial to properly tune in to them.

One should also be aware that the only power sources are the solar panel and the crank. There is no battery compartment. The solar panel seems to work to some extent, although the radio will not hold much of a charge from the solar panel, so if you want to use it at night you're going to have to crank it. Sometimes you will even need to crank it during the day if you listen to it for extended periods of time.

The sound is not bad for such a small unit. Much better than our Trutech clock/radio/cd player. However, the sound is not as good as larger portables.

Overall, this radio is very small, very cute, and would be good for traveling or camping. Not good as your primary radio for any extended period of time because you will be doing a lot of cranking. Also, if you live in an area where the FM stations are densely packed together, and you're interested in being able to pick all of them up, I would recommend something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY, December 4, 2011
This radio barely works. Very poor reception. Tuning is very difficult. Alot of static. Could not recieve AM or FM. Only reception was the national weather service, which was very very poor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Holiday gifts, April 29, 2010
J. Gershon (West Hartford, CT) - See all my reviews
I bought three of these radios as gifts this past holiday season for my kids. Each one of them has failed to work well over the past few months. The battery begins to lose its charge and does not recharge well. The radio plays intermittently due to the poor battery charge. They look cute and were fun in the beginning, but now they each are asking for a new radio.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Radio Reception, March 11, 2010
I was just about sold on buying this radio based on the reviews on Amazon, but fortunately I came across this model in a local store. I was able to try everything out, and was very disappointed with the radio reception--it was abysmally poor, especially for AM stations. Since listening to AM stations is the reason I wanted to have an emergency radio, I had to change my mind. There were many other radios in this store, and every one of them had better radio reception. I found that the best reception came from the Eton models with digital tuners (like the FR360, or FR600 which I ended up buying). I don't care about having to tune something manually, but if I can't pick up a station at all, it's a waste of money. Maybe the FR160 would be acceptable very close to a radio station's transmitter, but in my area it was useless. So make sure you can try it out first, or at least can return it if it isn't satisfactory.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good at first, Bad in the end, May 4, 2011
I got this radio shortly after tornado season started in my area. I thought it was perfect at first because of it's size and everything it does. This past week, however, it proved not to be so reliable. We had a full 14 hours of tornado warnings, and the radio stopped working toward the end of that. It didn't charge our cell phones(we have smartphones) at all unless we were winding it which takes forever to get ANY kind of charge. The only thing that still worked reliably on it was the flashlight in the end. If they could get the radio in better shape, it would be perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality, October 25, 2011
The Eton weather radio did not perform well, the solar charger for the radio never worked, and the hand crank broke after 3 months.
I would not recommend this item to anyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 395 | Next ›