1,412 Reviews

Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:38 Mins
VIDEO OF CASE USED ON IPHONE 5 IN MAUI, HAWAII. SNORKELLING OFF THE END OF KAMAOLE II BEACH.

Published 5 months ago by Jeremy

This is *junk*. The good reviews here are written by people getting free products in exchange for writing Amazon reviews.

A real review: At first, it kept the water out, but little pieces of plastic around the locking mechanism kept breaking off every few weeks. The quality is almost laughably bad. It's today completely unusable.

Beware, this product...
Published 3 months ago by B. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing case to turn your iPhone into an UNDERWATER CAMERA! Great for snorkelling!, July 11, 2014
Jeremy (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FRIEQ® Universal Waterproof Cell Phone Carrying Cases, For Apple iPhone 6, 5s, 5, Galaxy S5, S4 S3, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, MP3 Player - IPX8 Certified to 100 Feet (Electronics)
Length:: 0:38 Mins

Bought this when on a trip to Hawaii and kept being amazed by the snorkelling and wanted to capture it. I almost bought a GoPro Hero 2 (couldn't afford the 3) but I was worried about the blurriness that appears on the normal (non-flat) lens. Found this and thought I couldn't really lose for $10, though I was nervous about it working. I have a few key points that I hope help.

1. WORKS SUPERBLY TO TURN AN IPHONE 5 INTO AN UNDERWATER CAMERA
I used this no less that 25 times on our trip and together with my iphone it took some amazing videos. I've uploaded a sample video as well.

2. CASE and LANYARD ARE VERY STRONG
My 2 year old son used it underwater, he stuck his hand in the case and wore it as a glove, it was used in rough seas just dragging behind no doubt putting strain on the lanyard attachment and never came close to coming off. And still keeps water out after being roughed up that much.

3. YOU CAN USE THE IPHONE 5 SCREEN UNDERWATER
Yes you can use the touch screen underwater. You just need to make sure that there is no other part of the case touching the screen as it then won't respond. The way to do this is to expand the sides of the case to fill it with air when closing it shut. The casing then isn't close to the phone (it kind of 'floats' around inside, at least the iphone 5 does) and when you press on the image capture button through the case it is fine. I did find that when diving deeper, the pressure pushed the case closer to the screen, and I had to make sure the phone was right in the middle of the case so that the screen wasn't touching the case at its edges.

Those are the key things I wanted to note. I hope the review is useful. I don't often write reviews, but I was so pleasantly surprised by this that i wanted to! I've even uploaded a youtube copy of the video because I couldn't find any sample videos taken with this case when I was buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid case, that does what it promises., April 22, 2013
Update June 10th: Well, it's still working. I took it with me to Soak City at Knotts Berry Theme Park and carted my phone, ID, passes and money around in for about 5 hours. From water slides, submersion and impact in the wave pool, hanging over the side of the inner tube on the lazy river, the playground that sprays water all the time, I hung it around my neck, let it float in the water, peered at it and checked on it twice. Dry as a bone, no condensation this time. Admittedly, I also had my phone turned off and not running music so there was no battery inside to heat things up. I also kept getting stopped by people to ask if it worked and where to get it. So I've directed them here. I'd still give it a 4.5, just for the build up of condensation on the inside if I'm actually actively using my phone. But it still does the job, and without needing to fork out a lot of money.

I felt more than a little smug taking pictures through my phone at the wave pool and sending texts and watching other people tucking their phones into the chest of their bathing suits and screeching when their kids got them wet and frantically checking to see if their phone was still okay. Ten bought me piece of mind and a chance to focus on keeping track of my son in a sea of kids instead of splitting my focus. Allowed me to have fun. I'm going to buy a few and if someone asks when I'm there again, passing one to them and saving them some pain and anguish if their phones get wet. It was also a little easier to open this time, but still sealed up real good.

Original review:

Would rather give this a 4.5 than a straight up four. I bought this (No one supplied me with it or the like) and I saw someone who had wished that there was a review that wasn't a sponsored one. Well, here you go.

I was doing a 5k Mudrun. I wanted to keep my HTC One V with me, potentially take pictures, and be able to text my husband when I'd be close to the finish line. I didn't want to spend 50 bucks on something that I may or may not use once. This fit the bill. The deduction of the one star, is in the con's section and that was just because given enough time, enough condensation could have caused troubles.

Pros:

* Simple, straight forward, nothing fancy.
* Comes with a lanyard that can unclip from the case to make it easier to open.
* Takes pictures through the plastic pretty well, provided that you don't have drops of water clinging to the outside.
* I heard the music pretty good through the case, though there is some dampening.
* Nice and roomy, can accommodate nearly any phone, even with a protective case.
* Had no issue manipulating the screen at all. I was surprised by this. It was a little harder to text through the plastic, but not too much. Just required a little more attention.

Cons:

* It may be waterproof but I had condensation going on the inside, and eventually over the hour that I was tromping through obstacle courses, having water hosed on me, wading through mud and otherwise putting it to a good old fashioned test, it gathered enough condensation inside to be a few drops at the bottom when I opened it up at the end of the run. Mind you, this is during a hot day in Southern California spring and humidity is high. There was no water at the seal, so this was clearly the condensation.
* The clasps (for lack of a better word) that keep it closed and waterproof, were at times, a pain in the butt to open. Took a little leverage but it would in the end.

For the 10 bucks or so that it costs, it was exactly what I needed and did precisely what it said. Without it, I would have been unable to let my family know when to be at the finish line to cheer me on. Coated in mud, dredged through pools of scummy water, bombarded by a fire hose a few times, it passed the real life test and not just the kitchen sink test as others have shown. I'll be trying it on a color run next, to see how it stands up to colored cornstarch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tested successfully with an actual phone..., January 25, 2013
Length:: 0:56 Mins

The product description for this case claims IPX8 certification to 100 feet. In mid winter in the mid Atlantic this is a tough environment to test, so I settled for the next best thing: 10 minutes in 4 inches of water in the kitchen sink.

I first tested this with some coins and Alka-Seltzer tablets. The coins were to provide weight, and the Alka-Seltzer was to provide rapid indication of water inside the case.

When the Alka-Seltzer emerged intact, I was confident enough to put an HTC EVO with an extended life battery in the case, weight it with a kitchen knife (residual air in the case provides enough buoyancy to float either the whole case or its top, depending on how much air you force out before closing).

No issues with water entry during 10 minutes of submerged testing. The phone's touch screen controls were fully operational when it was inside the case. Picture quality from inside the case was fine: this phone doesn't have superb resolution under the best of conditions, but there was no obvious degradation of quality.

I'm not sure why I would want to carry a phone with me while diving or snorkeling (and wouldn't want to use this phone's camera to document that environment anyway), and divers may have other preferences for their activities. But if you're headed to the beach, or an outdoor event with wet weather in the forecast, this might save your camera from the ultimate bad day...

Note: This item was provided at no cost for review purposes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, July 19, 2013
This thing works great! First I tested them out in the sink and placed paper towels in them. Next I headed to the pool with the actual Iphone inside and took a few great under water pictures!

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Over Protective Sandwich Bag", June 8, 2013
This product does just what it advertises for! I bought this so I can lounge in my pool and also take underwater videos, and it works! I tested the case out first by putting a napkin or paper towel in it then submerging it underwater for 10 minutes. Then I took it out to find no water inside it or on the napkin. So then I tested out my smartphone in it still worked. Now you have to know that you cannot use the iPhones touchscreen underwater, even with any case. But I use this to text while I am in the pool or listen to my music. I have recorded a 5 minute underwater video with my iPhone 5 in this case and it looks beautiful. You can even put a case on and put it into this very protective sandwich bag. Please save your money from buying an $80 waterproof case and buy this! Worth the purchase. And the picture matches the exact look of the case! I recommend this case to anyone looking for a waterproof case!

4.0 out of 5 stars works well, May 29, 2013
With otter box on a little tight, seal works well, able to use phone in the case, would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extensive use proved no problem for this case, July 16, 2013
Chad B. "Chad B." (St. Louis, MO, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this item for iPhone5, anticipating an upcoming vacation on the beaches of Hawaii. The case proved itself to be a very worthy purchase, and did quite well protecting the phone from the sand and water. Before I left for vacation, I wanted to make sure it really was waterproof, so I put an old cell phone that I owned into it and submerged it for over an hour in a sink full of water. Not a single leak, which made me have the trust that I needed to put iPhone into the case and know that they'd be protected. I even snorkeled with mine on, and was able to use it enough to take some underwater pictures and videos with the sea life. The only complaint that I have at all is that when the case is completely submerged, it is sometimes hard to disengage the lock on the iPhone screen. If I came above water, then it would work fine, but fully submerged it was problematic. This normally wouldn't be a huge problem, except my corporate IT policies lock the phone after just a few minutes of idle time, so any time I wanted to take pictures, it was challenging. Had I been using the device on a lower depth scuba dive, it would have been impossible to unlock. One other oddity that I noticed is that if the phone is in the case and exposed to much direct sunlight, the device itself can get so hot that it will give a warning and not operate until the phone has cooled, which usually meant placing it in the shade for a while. Certainly a purchase that I consider worth it, as it allowed me the convenience of using the phone nearly at all times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks FRIEQ!! :), July 27, 2014
Was hiking up a creek to a waterfall with my GF and her german shepard. We left our stuff at the bottom of the fall with the dog and climbed up. 10-15 min later we came back down and my Iphone wasnt sitting on my bag anymore. The dog had knocked it into the water and it floated down the creek about 15-20 feet and was just flipping and flopping around between some rocks while hundreds of gallons of water dumped on top of it! I was so worried when i picked it up that i had lost yet another phone (woulda been the third iphone in 1 year) to water damage. I opened the case up and the phone was completely dry!! Best 10 bucks I ever spent! Since then ive taken my phone kayaking several times with this case around my neck. I turn my music on speaker and can hear it just fine. I just bought the same case with the headphone jack in the back today and i cant wait till it arrives. Pictures come out pretty clear with this case as well. I dont even notice that its on in the pictures. not one problem working the touchsceen with this on either. I use this case for emergency use only. im not going to go scuba diving with it or anything. And as with anything else, the more chances you take purposely taking it underwater, the greater your risk of it finally failing you. Its not rocket science. Its kinda like risking yourself to walk across the street without looking both ways first.... you might get lucky a few times, but the more you do it the better chance of you getting plowed! Cheers!

1.0 out of 5 stars You're being scammed by the good reviews: Completely deteriorated within a few months, cheap product sold under many names, August 30, 2014

Beware, this product is sold as "JOTO" and "DandyCase" and "Eco Fused" here on Amazon -- all identical, and all junk. If that doesn't set off your alarm bells, good luck!

1.0 out of 5 stars You had one job to do., May 10, 2013
Job Description: keep water out of the inside.
Performance Review: failed to keep water out of the inside.

Surprisingly, it wasn't the admittedly secure locking mechanism that leaked. The opposite side of the case, the stitched and supposedly sealed portion of the case was the problem. Thankfully, I tested this in the sink with a paper towel inside of it first. After drying the outside of the case thoroughly and carefully unsealing and removing the paper towel, I could see that one corner was wet. On closer inspection I could actually see through the "sealed" portion of one corner of the case when I held it up to the light and looked through the inside of the case.

I suppose one could chalk this up to a fluke manufacturing defect, but it's not the kind of problem you want on your production line when people are relying on your product to keep their pricey electronics safe.

Lesson Learned: you get what you pay for.