on July 11, 2014
VIDEO OF CASE USED ON IPHONE 5 IN MAUI, HAWAII. SNORKELLING OFF THE END OF KAMAOLE II BEACH.

Bought this when on a trip to Hawaii and kept being amazed by the snorkelling and wanted to capture it. I almost bought a GoPro Hero 2 (couldn't afford the 3) but I was worried about the blurriness that appears on the normal (non-flat) lens. Found this and thought I couldn't really lose for $10, though I was nervous about it working. I have a few key points that I hope help.

1. WORKS SUPERBLY TO TURN AN IPHONE 5 INTO AN UNDERWATER CAMERA
I used this no less that 25 times on our trip and together with my iphone it took some amazing videos. I've uploaded a sample video as well.

2. CASE and LANYARD ARE VERY STRONG
My 2 year old son used it underwater, he stuck his hand in the case and wore it as a glove, it was used in rough seas just dragging behind no doubt putting strain on the lanyard attachment and never came close to coming off. And still keeps water out after being roughed up that much.

3. YOU CAN USE THE IPHONE 5 SCREEN UNDERWATER
Yes you can use the touch screen underwater. You just need to make sure that there is no other part of the case touching the screen as it then won't respond. The way to do this is to expand the sides of the case to fill it with air when closing it shut. The casing then isn't close to the phone (it kind of 'floats' around inside, at least the iphone 5 does) and when you press on the image capture button through the case it is fine. I did find that when diving deeper, the pressure pushed the case closer to the screen, and I had to make sure the phone was right in the middle of the case so that the screen wasn't touching the case at its edges.

Those are the key things I wanted to note. I hope the review is useful. I don't often write reviews, but I was so pleasantly surprised by this that i wanted to! I've even uploaded a youtube copy of the video because I couldn't find any sample videos taken with this case when I was buying.

NOTE: The video on amazon seems to be a bit rubbish. I've uploaded it to Youtube... Just search Youtube for "snorkel hawaii frieq" and it's the top hit. You can view in 720p and it looks a billion times better.
on April 22, 2013
Update June 10th: Well, it's still working. I took it with me to Soak City at Knotts Berry Theme Park and carted my phone, ID, passes and money around in for about 5 hours. From water slides, submersion and impact in the wave pool, hanging over the side of the inner tube on the lazy river, the playground that sprays water all the time, I hung it around my neck, let it float in the water, peered at it and checked on it twice. Dry as a bone, no condensation this time. Admittedly, I also had my phone turned off and not running music so there was no battery inside to heat things up. I also kept getting stopped by people to ask if it worked and where to get it. So I've directed them here. I'd still give it a 4.5, just for the build up of condensation on the inside if I'm actually actively using my phone. But it still does the job, and without needing to fork out a lot of money.

I felt more than a little smug taking pictures through my phone at the wave pool and sending texts and watching other people tucking their phones into the chest of their bathing suits and screeching when their kids got them wet and frantically checking to see if their phone was still okay. Ten bought me piece of mind and a chance to focus on keeping track of my son in a sea of kids instead of splitting my focus. Allowed me to have fun. I'm going to buy a few and if someone asks when I'm there again, passing one to them and saving them some pain and anguish if their phones get wet. It was also a little easier to open this time, but still sealed up real good.

Original review:

Would rather give this a 4.5 than a straight up four. I bought this (No one supplied me with it or the like) and I saw someone who had wished that there was a review that wasn't a sponsored one. Well, here you go.

I was doing a 5k Mudrun. I wanted to keep my HTC One V with me, potentially take pictures, and be able to text my husband when I'd be close to the finish line. I didn't want to spend 50 bucks on something that I may or may not use once. This fit the bill. The deduction of the one star, is in the con's section and that was just because given enough time, enough condensation could have caused troubles.

Pros:

* Simple, straight forward, nothing fancy.
* Comes with a lanyard that can unclip from the case to make it easier to open.
* Takes pictures through the plastic pretty well, provided that you don't have drops of water clinging to the outside.
* I heard the music pretty good through the case, though there is some dampening.
* Nice and roomy, can accommodate nearly any phone, even with a protective case.
* Had no issue manipulating the screen at all. I was surprised by this. It was a little harder to text through the plastic, but not too much. Just required a little more attention.

Cons:

* It may be waterproof but I had condensation going on the inside, and eventually over the hour that I was tromping through obstacle courses, having water hosed on me, wading through mud and otherwise putting it to a good old fashioned test, it gathered enough condensation inside to be a few drops at the bottom when I opened it up at the end of the run. Mind you, this is during a hot day in Southern California spring and humidity is high. There was no water at the seal, so this was clearly the condensation.
* The clasps (for lack of a better word) that keep it closed and waterproof, were at times, a pain in the butt to open. Took a little leverage but it would in the end.

For the 10 bucks or so that it costs, it was exactly what I needed and did precisely what it said. Without it, I would have been unable to let my family know when to be at the finish line to cheer me on. Coated in mud, dredged through pools of scummy water, bombarded by a fire hose a few times, it passed the real life test and not just the kitchen sink test as others have shown. I'll be trying it on a color run next, to see how it stands up to colored cornstarch.

Update: Well, it's now been two years and what can I say. I still have it. I just recently took it out with us on a camping trip out onto Backbone Lake and a few times it dipped into the lake water and it was still going strong. Still a bit of a PITA to open it back up after it's sealed but I can still get it open. For what I paid for it, and what it currently costs, it's still hands down a mile above others when you need something fast and cheap. And I could still take pictures with it, play music through it and this time there was no condensation. So I bumped it up to a 5 star instead of 4.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The product description for this case claims IPX8 certification to 100 feet. In mid winter in the mid Atlantic this is a tough environment to test, so I settled for the next best thing: 10 minutes in 4 inches of water in the kitchen sink.

I first tested this with some coins and Alka-Seltzer tablets. The coins were to provide weight, and the Alka-Seltzer was to provide rapid indication of water inside the case.

When the Alka-Seltzer emerged intact, I was confident enough to put an HTC EVO with an extended life battery in the case, weight it with a kitchen knife (residual air in the case provides enough buoyancy to float either the whole case or its top, depending on how much air you force out before closing).

No issues with water entry during 10 minutes of submerged testing. The phone's touch screen controls were fully operational when it was inside the case. Picture quality from inside the case was fine: this phone doesn't have superb resolution under the best of conditions, but there was no obvious degradation of quality.

I'm not sure why I would want to carry a phone with me while diving or snorkeling (and wouldn't want to use this phone's camera to document that environment anyway), and divers may have other preferences for their activities. But if you're headed to the beach, or an outdoor event with wet weather in the forecast, this might save your camera from the ultimate bad day...

Note: This item was provided at no cost for review purposes.
on July 19, 2013
This thing works great! First I tested them out in the sink and placed paper towels in them. Next I headed to the pool with the actual Iphone inside and took a few great under water pictures!
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 18, 2015
This thing works awesome. For the price ans to capture underwater stuff it's great. Doesn't leak at all. I did my tissue test prior. It's dry as a bone. Would like to a hard scuba she'll case. But this work for the time being. You can still use the touch screen
review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2015
This item's lock mechanism is not user friendly. It also does not have a water seal of any type, just the plastic itself. I decided to test this item before using it. I placed a piece of tissue paper in it, sealed it, then submerged it in water for 40 minutes. It is definitely not waterproof, as you can see in the photo. Only a small portion of the tissue remained dry, the lower corner. This case will not protect your phone if submerged under water. It may be okay with small splashes.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 30, 2014
This is *junk*. The good reviews here are written by people getting free products in exchange for writing Amazon reviews.

A real review: At first, it kept the water out, but little pieces of plastic around the locking mechanism kept breaking off every few weeks. The quality is almost laughably bad. It's today completely unusable.

Beware, this product is sold as "JOTO" and "DandyCase" and "Eco Fused" here on Amazon -- all identical, and all junk. If that doesn't set off your alarm bells, good luck!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 18, 2013
be careful. i lost my iphone 5 to this. i've used this to success a handful of times until i went snorkeling. For whatever reason, you better make sure that damn seal is closed to the fullest EACH time or that's it's working. Not the safest waterproof case, but worked for me a decent amount of times.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2014
Very disappointed with the product, received it damaged with a slit, so how it supposed to be waterproof now?
review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2014
I went for vacation with my wife and 3 kids to orlando. I said to my self this is the time to get a case that will be protective for my samsung galaxy and iPhone. I bought 3 online for my my kids to use it in the water parks in orlando. I really disappointed about the product, all the kids phones were get wet just from wearing it through the lazy rivers not even goes to depth with it. I thought it might be not properly sealed, though i sealed it my self. I tried it and i used my iPhone and it is with the same result. I give the product ZERO rate for its functionality. I will contact the manufacturer to report about it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...