FROGLUBE Brand PREMIUM CLP Lubricant 4oz Paste & 4oz Liquid KIT (No Brush)
Size Name: You get this: 4ozPaste, 4ozLiquid, ClothChange
Price:$29.99

on December 3, 2011
Size Name: You get this: 4ozPaste, 4ozLiquid, Cloth
NOTE: I've edited this review since it was originally written in December of 2011. Please read the entire review including my EDIT at the bottom. I've preserved the original review. I originally rated this 3-stars, and have since added a star.

FrogLube works well as a general purpose lubricant/protectant (L/P). As a cleaner, I found that it requires more product to get the same level of clean as Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner. I used it on my Mini-14 for a few trips to the range and encountered no issues to speak of, but I've never had issues with that gun so it didn't solve any problem I was having.

I ran a test where I exposed nickel-plated steel fasteners coated with different L/P products to a 5% saltwater spray. The fastener coated with FrogLube paste rusted after 5 hours of exposure. I applied to heated metal, left a thin coat of product, and allowed to sit for an hour before applying the spray. This is per FrogLube's application instructions. So if you expose your equipment to saltwater environments, you might want to steer clear.

Note that only the paste is all-natural, non-hazardous, and food-grade. The liquid contains polyalphaolefins, which is a synthetic polymer found in a lot of synthetic lubricants and oils. This can be verified by reading the MSDS on FrogLube's site.

My conclusion is that the all-natural paste does a good job considering it is all-natural. It doesn't shine above anything else in any regard. My test concluded that M-Pro 7 LPX does a better job protecting against corrosion, and delivers similar performance as a lubricant.

If you just want something for general use that is all-natural and you like the story, go ahead and buy some paste as it will work fine. However, I only buy what I feel is the best for my guns, and this isn't it. For an L/P, I prefer Hoppe's M-Pro 7 LPX Gun Oil, 4 Ounce Bottle and if I need grease I turn to TW25B Grease 0.5 oz Reclosable Syringe.

[EDIT 12/8/12] I've revised my rating and added another star for FrogLube. I've found a use for it that other products I've tried just can't do as well at: concealed carry. I'm not sure about the liquid, but the paste dries yet remains slick after you apply it. For CC, this means you don't risk over-applying oil that will run or grease that will potentially smear and find it's way to your clothing. I've been using FrogLube for about a year now on my CC guns and it's worked great. The paste will gradually re-liquify as you fire the weapon, but so far my body heat has not made it do this. I have yet to try FrogLube's new weapon cleaner that claims to remove copper fouling, but the paste does NOT do that as I do get copper out of my FrogLube-treated bore with solvent even after cleaning with more FrogLube. Cleaning has seemed to get easier over the year I've been using it, with regards to removing powder fouling and dirt. I use it exclusively on my CC guns except for the bore which I still use copper solvent on. I heat up the jar of paste and allow two patches to soak in it, then use that to wipe my weapon down after I've used a microfiber towel to get loose dirt/fouling off. Sometimes a third FL-soaked patch is required if the weapon is particularly dirty after the range. Everything I said above regarding corrosion prevention still applies and you'll want to make sure you wipe down your CC guns after every carry (you should, no matter what you use), but if you're looking for lube that dries and won't get on your clothes, this is a great non-toxic product to use.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 24, 2011
Size Name: You get this: 4ozPaste, 4ozLiquid, Cloth
Just like to do a follow up review since my first one. I had plenty of opportunities to test frog lube's ability to remove copper fouling. Let me just say this first, all in all this is by far the best lube I have used. It removes lead fouling like nothing else. On top of that, it's environmentally friendly. It however does not have the ability to remove copper fouling. Being that this product repels petroleum products, there are still plenty of potent copper removers out there that are petroleum free. Either Barnes CR10 or KG-12, etc will get the job done for those seeking to remove copper fouling. If you do not shoot copper jacketed bullets, then frog lube is a complete gun care package for your firearms. I still keep my petroleum free copper solvents around in addition to the frog lube just in case I need to get rid the copper fouling.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2011
Size Name: You get this: 4ozPaste, 4ozLiquid, Cloth
I was introduced to this product by a Sig armorer. I tried it. I loved it. It works. Period. Just like everyone else is saying here. Here is my break down of it as a CLP.

The C - I have found that putting it on warm metal makes it work great...just like they say. I rub the paste on, let it sit and penetrate. A few minutes later....wipe it off. Clean enough to eat on. I even tried it on my mountain bike chain and components after running out of degreaser. Worked better than anything I have ever tried. Albeit a bit costly to use so much on a bike. Fantastic cleaner though.

The L - Once you use it on the parts you will notice it's still there, having saturated the parts. Great for lube and goes a long way.

The P - I hunt waterfowl in very rugged and sloppy conditions and it is nothing for me to get mud and water or sand in the action of my shot gun when wading out into thigh deep muck to retrieve a downed bird. The thing about this product is that when they say it saturates the metal, it truly does. I have taken apart the muddied up shot gun, cleaned the gunk out, and found after the parts are dry and free of grime, that you can still actually feel the Frog Lube on the clean metal. And trust me, I DO NOT over lube my guns. Great protective features. It's still on there and after all that moisture not speck of rust anywhere, unlike even the best of of other CLPs.

I am a believer. And it is safe and non-toxic.
on July 18, 2012
Size Name: You get this: 4ozPaste, 4ozLiquid, ClothVerified Purchase
After reading multiple product reviews I decided to give Frog Lube a try. After receiving it I detail stripped my Kimber 1911 and put it through a ultrasonic cleaner with simple green to get all the old gunk off. After rinsing the simple green of with water I got the parts dried off with a heat gun, thereby both drying the parts and warming the metal per Frog Lube's instructions.

I mainly applied the Frog Lube paste as it was easy to scoop out of the little tub and apply. I immediately liked the smell of Frog Lube, a very pleasant minty aroma. The FrogLube seemed to melt immediately onto the hot metal parts, flowing pretty easily over the metal.

The instructions said not to worry about getting FrogLube onto your hands or skin, as it is safe and will actually moisturize! I was happy to hear this, as I hate having to put on latex gloves each time I clean my guns only to have the tips of the gloves break off and get caught in gun parts. It was a pleasure to apply FrogLube with my fingers directly onto the gun parts and actually being able to feel what I was doing. As a side note, I have ecezema on my fingers (skin dryness allergy which can result in drying and cracking of skin) so it is important for me to keep my fingers well moisturized. The Frog Lube did not exacerbate the dry skin condition of my fingers, and did actually seem to moisturize as claimed!

Once I got all the parts coated in Frog Lube, I ran the heat gun over them all just go help the FrogLube get into the metal more. Then I wiped off the excess with the included microfiber towel as instructed, and put the 1911 back together. I applied a few drops of the liquid Frog Lube onto the rails and rail channels, but aside from that I applied no additional lube.

That weekend I got to take the Kimber out to the range for a little semi-competitive shoot involving rapid shooting and weapons manipulation such as emergency and tactical reloading. The Kimber ran smoothly and without hiccups. Afterwards as I was putting the Kimber away in the trunk of my car, I took the microfiber towel that came with the FrogLube kit and wiped down the gun. The carbon residue on the muzzle end of the gun came right off! I showed my buddy the towel and joked "This is my new cleaning kit!"

After the first test of the FrogLube, I was convinced that this is the best lube to use for all my guns. I have since applied it to all my handguns and rifles, and will do the shotgun next time I get a chance. I love how it conditions the metal, makes cleaning as simple as a towel wipe-down, smells great, and doubles as a hand moisturizer! (Really really expensive hand moisturizer)

Only downsides are that you have to heat up the gun parts before application, and the stuff isn't exactly cheap. A little product goes a long way. After applying FrogLube to three handguns and two AR-15 bolt assemblies and uppers, I have gone through about 1/4 of the little tub of paste, and hardly any of the liquid. I expect this stuff to last for quite awhile.
on September 16, 2013
I am using a Froglube for 2 years, on and off. Here is my take:

THE GOOD:
5 points. It's a very good lubricant. Put it once or twice, let it get absorbed. Then the metal stays lubricated for longer than lighter CLP.
4 points. It's an OK rust protection. WD-40 would do the same job just as well.
I tested in on a sheet of metal together with WD-40. And it performed the same in rain/sun conditions for 2 weeks.
5 points. It has no nasty smell. My wife is not grumpy anymore. LOL. She just does not notice it. The nice green color and all that marketing gimmick is also good.
5 points. The Froglube does not evaporate as quickly as CLP would. When shooting 500+ rounds, the AR bolt seem to stay wet longer.

THE BAD:
3 points. It is an average mediocre cleaner. It will remove regular powder foulings, but will NOT saturate the black crud, will NOT remove thick lead or copper deposits. Faggettabout it!
To be fair, AFAIK, it was not designed for that! It's job is to protect the surface by coating it with a long lasting lubricant. So if the dirt/rust eats through, it's just to late.

THE UGLY:
The price is the ugliest part. The amount is unjustified. Unless I shoot a lot and don't lube at all, I can buy a few bottle of CLP for that price. Or 1 CLP, 1 copper remover and 1 Hoppes No.9. Together they would do a better job for all aspects of cleaning.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 31, 2012
Size Name: You get this: 4ozPaste, 4ozLiquid, ClothVerified Purchase
I absolute hate stinky petroleum CLP's so I gave this a try. It has a very mild minty smell, so you can clean your guns in front of the TV! The paste is thick like hair pomade, and the liquid is about like syrup. This is an all natural green product and works like curing a new iron skillet. It says to warm weapon in the sun or with a hair dryer, but I took it one step farther. I wiped the slide and barrel of my pistol with the paste and dripped the moving parts with the liquid, then put them in the oven on it's lowest setting for about 30 mins. Took them out, wiped off the excess per instruction. Immediately fired 100 rnds, and the powder, lead and copper wiped right off! The barrel shines like a mirror! I did the same thing to my AR and shotgun. The lube soaks into the pores of the metal, keeping lead,copper, powder, moisture, you name it, from absorbing into the metal. The great thing about it is, the longer you use it, the better it works! Go to their website and read the testimonials. I threw out all my other cleaners. I'll never use anything else.
on May 12, 2011
Size Name: You get this: 4ozPaste, 4ozLiquid, Cloth
If you depend on your weapons to keep you and yours alive, and are thus hesitant to try this "Frog Lube" gimmick, don't be. Before buying it, I looked everywhere I could on the evil internet for anything negative about Frog Lube, and could not find anything at all. I bought it, used it, and love it. It works better than Rem-Oil, Hoppes, or whatever else. Cleans, protects, lubes, its like all those stupid miracle product info-mercials, but this one works. Applied to a Remington 870 Tactical, that was a little gunked, and bounced around in a trunk most of the day. Its now clean, smooth, and all around wonderful again. I did not buy my Frog Lube from Amazon, but the kit I bought had both liquid and paste forms, as well as a little brush for application. Completely disassembled the 870, treated as per the instructions (use the sun to warm up the parts, its easier), and "snicked" her back together. Smells like wintergreen mint. I'll be treating my Glock soon.

Apparently, it really was created by a SEAL with a knack for chemistry, it really does what it says (which is kick ass), and it's really made in the USA. If its good enough for Tier 1, it's good enough for, well, everyone else.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 29, 2011
Size Name: You get this: 4ozPaste, 4ozLiquid, ClothVerified Purchase
I had been using Breakfree CLP for almost a year before I found this stuff. I was looking for a de-greaser for my newly purchased AR15 when I found it. Skeptical, I read all the forums and watched a few videos. Decided to give it a go. Its now the only thing I use on my guns (shotgun, pistol, AR15).

I like that its safe to be around. If I have some on my hands and go to scratch my face, its ok. If the dog sniffs around and licks something, he's safe. The rags I use are no longer flammable like they were with the CLP. The smell while pleasant, comes off easily unlike the CLP. It smells like peppermint like others have said. I can even clean my guns in the house because the smell is pleasant. CLP no way.

Just yesterday prior to going shooting I coated my AR15 in this stuff, after using a hairdryer to heat up the metal and let it bond. I ran over 150 rounds of .223 and 5.56 through the gun, at varying rates of fire. Not a single misfire or hiccup. Cleaned it today and it all wiped away easy with a paper towel. The only thing it doesn't do, as others have mentioned is eat away the copper fouling. But it doesn't advertise to do that, which is why I didn't dock it a star.
on February 18, 2014
Size Name: You get this: 4ozPaste, 4ozLiquid, ClothVerified Purchase
Upon first impression and use this cleaner was killer. I thought it did extremely well and did what it proclaimed. So much so that I recommended this product to all of my gun toting buddies and had them invest into FROG LUBE and to be honest they loved it too! UNTIL I tried to fire my .357 in the mountains over the Christmas holiday. First shot, nothing. Huh bad load? Second shot, nothing. What the hell is going on? Opened the cylinder and the primer is striking the primer, but just enough to dimple the primer but not enough to ignite the charge. So i slammed the cylinder shut and rapid fired the 6 rounds and nothing. I did not think anything of the cleaner I thought that the hammer spring was worn out. So I took the gun apart and noticed all of this build up around the inside of the hammer. I was wtf I just cleaned this a couple weeks ago and this gun lays on my night stand wrapped up. So she wasn't dirty but the gun was gummed up. So I took the other pistols I had with me apart and every one had the same build up. So I came to the conclusion that the FROG LUBE had failed me. If I could rate this product on just the rust repelling abilities I would give it a 10 but in a real life scenario I would have died because my weapon failed, it failed because FROG LUBE failed! I hate to be so harsh about this product but I would not recommend this product to anyone who DEPENDS on their weapon to protect their life!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2014
This is not an adequate lube! Everything seemed fine until a range session. Once heated to high temps and cooled I had found upon cleaning it sludged up to the likes of thick animal fat found on a bbq grill. This would not suffice in cold temps or extreme duty. I've since switched to Hornady Dry Lube.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...