Published on November 19, 2010 by Allen Smalling

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Fruit Cake
I have had several different fruitcakes, and Claxton isn't the best or worst. Kind of bland. if you like average cake this is for you.
Published 8 months ago by Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Despite the rectangular bar shape, this is a Southern classic, November 19, 2010
This review is from: FRUIT CAKE Boxed 2 lb Regular Recipe Claxton Fruitcake (Misc.)
Southern fruitcakes as a rule do not feature whiskey or brandy flavoring, and they come in light (or "white") and dark varieties. This is Claxton's 'white' fruitcake (which they call "regular"), which outsells their newer, dark variety by eight to one. And why not? It is peak of its form if you know what you're getting. Don't buy it if you don't like the firmly yielding mouthfeel of almonds countered by glaceed fruit that pops with color and flavor. Don't buy it if you don't like a thoroughgoing sweetness that stops short of being cloying or carrying an aftertaste. Definitely avoid this one if you expect it to have a whiskey flavor. The Claxton people say they use a little imitation rum extract in their white fruitcakes, but not so that I can tell.

All in all, and despite the bar shape, Claxton regular is a quintessential Southern fruitcake. At the time of this writing, third-party fulfillment costs extra for shipping but the price itself makes the deal very attractive. If you choose to order directly from Claxton, shipping is included in fruitcake products but the retail price is higher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fruit Cake? :/, February 8, 2010
S. Alvarez (Pomona, CA USA) - See all my reviews
That's what everyone says when they see fruit cakes but these fruit cakes are different! They are light-battered and moist with just the right amount of nuts to fruit ratio. The nuts are not tiny so you miss them; nope, they are larger so you bite into them and your mouth knows that you have just bitten into a crunchy nut!! Oh shoot!! Mine are long gone and now I've made myself hungry for them again!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fruit cake ever, December 10, 2011
Christine Andino "vbug" (Berlin Center, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
Over the years, I've tried several fruit cake brands in several price ranges and Claxton is by far the best quality cake I've tried. I also felt the price was more than fair.

4.0 out of 5 stars really good, April 5, 2013
I was pleasantly surprised. The fruitcake was moist, full of fruit, and very tasty. I highly recommend it to those who enjoy an old fashioned fruit cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars umm umm good, January 29, 2014
the cake was very moist and delicious the packaging was awesome the fruit in the cake was fresh i really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNBEATABLE, January 19, 2014
FANTASTIC AS ALWAYS.MY DAD LOVED IT AND SO DO I. AS A MATTER OF FACT, MY HUSBAND AND I ATE TWO OF THE FRUIT CAKES THIS YEAR.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the fruitcake, November 13, 2012
I just discovered fruitcake a few years ago. This isn't the very best fruitcake I've ever had, but for the price it's pretty awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars 91 Years Young and Loving Claxton!!, April 16, 2014
I ordered this product as a special Easter treat for my 91 year old grandmother. (Last Christmas she was visiting us and we inadvertently sent her home without the remainder of her Christmas fruit cake from Costco. Months later she was still talking about missing that fruit cake and that she couldn't enjoy it!) I know Easter isn't usually a time for fruit cake but I knew she wouldn't care WHAT time of year it was! Not being able to find fruit cake in the store, I took a chance and came to Amazon. Lo and behold, I found the Claxton fruit cake with a whole lot of positive comments, so I took a chance and sent her one. I just got a call from my grandmother. The special delivery had been made and she was elated! The mailman dropped off her package and she was so excited when she saw what it was. She said she opened the box and didn't even wait to get a knife, she just bit off a piece right out of the package! She said it was so much better than the Costco fruit cake. haha So I just wanted to thank you for a quality product and for helping me make a very special lady's day a little extra special. I told her every time she enjoys a piece it's like a smooch from her #1 granddaughter. (that's me! ;) Thank you, Claxton!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmmmmm good, April 15, 2014
Claxton fruit cakes,I only hope they have it in heaven. This is by far the very best fruitcake you will ever eat. My favorite is the regular cake.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Fruit Cake, Heavy, Moist, and Sweet, February 27, 2014
This fruit cake is good. It is heavy, dense and sweet, and filing. I would not call it elegant (as compared to the Trappist Abbey Cakes for example) but it is satisfying. The texture is very moist. Only a small piece fills you up. It does not taste from anything like rum or brandy, which may be fine for some. It is also a good value-- and is less expensive than many others, and widely available.

FRUIT CAKE Boxed 2 lb Regular Recipe Claxton Fruitcake