5.0 out of 5 stars great frye boot..
this is my third pair of frye boots, my other pairs are 8 and 10 years old and are in great condition, did have one pair re-heeled after 10 years, but that's not surprising.

good quality leather, a classic, timeless style. good construction. these boots look great with jeans or khakis.

contrary to what others have said i have found these to run...
Published 19 months ago by scottjl

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better.
Published 23 months ago by Evan

5.0 out of 5 stars great frye boot.., July 9, 2013

contrary to what others have said i have found these to run small. i normally take a 10 or 10.5 in shoes (my other frye boots are both 10.5) with a mid-weight sock. 10 in these were way too small. i got a 10.5 and it's a snug fit but i expect them to loosen up a bit over the years as my other boots have done. i tried on a 11 and it as a great fit out of the box, just a little worried it would stretch loose as time goes on. my advice, order your size and not smaller.

the tan color is darker than the photos but will probably lighten with age as well.

i would certainly recommend Frye boots and shoes to anyone.

09/05/13 Update - I've had these boots a few weeks now and they have broken in great. The leather is now supple and the fit is very comfortable, the 10.5 stretched well to fit my foot. The laces are no where near as stiff either, lol. The color hasn't lightened up as much as I had hoped but I can live with that, it's personal preference. They still have a "new leather" smell to them which is surprising. These are a great boot and look forward to wearing them for years to come.

07/09/14 Update - I've had these a year now. Still a great boot, fit very well and look perfect. The color hasn't lightened up further, but that's fine. They still have a slight "new leather" smell to them which I find surprising. I've worn them out hiking and out on the town, look, feel and perform great either way.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read fit like glove----V. TRUE, December 29, 2010
This review is from: FRYE Men's James Lace Up Boot Brown (Apparel)
These boots beat AE's Bayfields...better leather (doesn't feel like plastic) all the way around...

These boots DO NOT run small...I usually wear a 12 shoe...but ordered 11 1/2's for boots...these fit perfect.

Leather sole is a tad slippery at first...but that will off quickly.

My first Frye's...definitley not my last.

4.0 out of 5 stars These look great and WILL feel great., September 21, 2014
I have never done a multiple-tier review before, but there WILL be updates to this.

Boots arrived yesterday. This is my first pair of really nice, durable and expensive boots. I did months of research and going back and forth until I finally decided on these. I consider Red Wings, Wolverines and other boots and decided that Fry was more my style and had the durability and quality reviews that I needed.

I took the boots out of the box and they looked good. The fake distressing is a bit much, but it will wear out and real distressing begins. Since I wanted to check the fit immediately I put on some socks and laced these up. The fit as expected. I usually wear 9.5 and 9.5 in the Frye boots fit perfect. My wife saw them and immediately loved them. The look classy. You can wear this causally or to work, they just look good.

I did some mild walking around. Review were mixed about wearing these boots in, so I started off slow and just did things around the house. They definitely felt stiff like they would need to be worn a while to truly hit the comfort zone. The laces are leather as well, they stretched fast and I had to re-lace as the top pegs came undone.

Here is where I went wrong (but does not affect my current 5 star rating). I decided to take my dog on a walk and went out the door wearing the boots. Bad idea. About half a mile from my house I realized I had them on still and than they were not ready for a long walk. I turned around and headed home and had a nice blister on the back of my heal due to this mistake. Others may have different experiences but mine says break these in easy. No craziness right up front. I can tell that they will break in from my initial wear, but not I have to get rid of a blister due to my forgetfulness.

Updates to come as I wear them more. So far I love them. You can't blame leather boots for giving you a blister on the first wear ... especially when you go on a long walk with them.

UPDATE 2 weeks

Slight discouraged, but not lowering my rating yet. Everytime I wear the boots they get compliments. These are some slick boots (and not just the soles ...).

The only thing to report is that after two weeks of pretty good wear the leather has maybe only slightly loosened up. I deal with blisters often and always bring a second pair of shoes to change into. The only reason I don't lower the rating is I think this is a two fold problem, I think that a pair of small inserts in each boot might help eliminate unwanted rubbing. The boots are potentially a little big, but unfortunately not enough to justify getting a half size smaller (which would be too small). I will get inserts this week and see if it helps.

UPDATE: 7 weeks

It is with a little regret that I reduce the rating to four stars. Don't get me wrong, I love the boots, and even without purchasing the insoles they have become quite comfortable ... no more blisters and quite flexible for walking.

The downfall?? The soles are just too slick. I have stood on concrete and scraped the soles, stomped on gravel, done just about everything I can thing of (with the exception of sand paper) to give the boots some tract. As it gets cold in PA I doubt I will be able to wear the books much as they are slippery even on dry smooth surfaces ... I slipped on parking lot paint the other day fell down.

The boots look great, feel great, but the soles need work. If I get to a point where they are good I will update again, otherwise this is my last update.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better., February 21, 2013
I normally wear a size 11 in Vans and Adidas. I ordered the size 11 in the James Lace Up and they were way too big. Sent them back for a 10.5 They arrived and were also too big. I held out for a while on getting the 10, fearing that they would be too small. I bit the bullet a few weeks ago, and they were snug, but I thought I'd give them a try and decided to wear them out of the house (no turning back). After a couple hours in them, my feet would go numb, so I took them to a shoe repair shop to have them stretched. After 3 days on the stretcher with leather stretching solution, they felt a lot better. The night I picked them up, however, they shrank back and are still too small and are too uncomfortable to wear all day.
Also, they arrive with a very cheesy grey finish sprayed on them. Removing it was pretty easy- just about 15 minutes with a towel and some elbow grease.
I still have my pair of brown 12" harness Frye USA boots from high school and love them, but I was saddened to see that these Frye boots were made in Mexico. The grey spray notwithstanding, the overall quality of materials and craftsmanship is satisfactory, to be expected for the $$$. I just wish they fit like my other Frye boots. Oh well.
If you decide to order them, make certain that they fit very well before deciding to keep them, as attempting to stretch them has proven to be futile. Also, keep in mind that you'll be paying the Frye USA premium for Frye Mexico boots.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the refined outdoorsman, January 29, 2011
This review is from: FRYE Men's James Lace Up Boot Brown (Apparel)
I refuse to wear footwear that is form over function despite my better half's feelings on the matter. Luckily Frye delivered a product that doesn't make me choose. A little mink oil and these shouldn't need any attention until I have them re-soled in 2020.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Boots, August 10, 2011
This review is for the brown color boots in this particular style: This is my first purchase from FRYE and surely not my last. These boots look better than they do on the display picture, they are extremely comfortable & the leather sole too is great..the leather smells great and you can feel the quality in the finish. this particular James lace up boot has a timeless style and should age beautifully. I also will recomend the use of good leather creams and conditioner etc to bring out the best in these boots.
I remember seeing great styles from Frye some years back that were more trendy and hope the company makes some new styles in the coming years.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Stiff Boot, July 24, 2013
Still breaking in the boot, but is taking longer than the last pair of Frye's bought and seems a bit more snug than the last pair. Great style and craftsmanship. Could use a little more room in the toe box as it crushes down onto the toes on one side when walking. I expect it will work itself out after a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots!, October 30, 2012
Bryan (South Bend, Indiana) - See all my reviews
These boots are great. Quality leather, true to size, and they look better than the picture. As some of the other reviews state, they do come with a funny waxy/powdery white substance on them but this can be easily removed by rubbing with your fingers or a damp rag.

5.0 out of 5 stars James Lace Up Boot, April 28, 2012
The Frye James Lace Up Boot is a wonderful pair of shoes. The leather is top notch, it buffs to a beautiful rich shine and it dresses up jeans like no rubber soled shoe could ever do. The sole is thick and very comfortable. Be prepared for a break in period for these boots, but it's well worth the trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme quality, January 1, 2014
It is hard to describe how excellent this craftsmanship is, but these shoes are far beyond the quality of just about any shoe out there. Absolutely amazing. Very stiff as others have said. I have worn them twice and they seem to be breaking in. I am sure they will take a couple more weeks to break in. I am a size 12 and these fit perfect. Also I used a sock to rub off the white residue on the leather. Others have talked about this in their reviews. I am guessing it is leather conditioner or protectant. I think the little that is left looks cool though, but it will rub off over time. I can't give enough praise about the craftsmanship. These shoes are amazing. They are timeless. From the stitching to the smooth leather sole, these shoes (Frye James Lace Up Boot) are from another time it seems and are just spectacular. I have bought other brown ankle boots and they do not compare to these in the slightest.

FRYE Men's James Lace Up Boot Brown