5.0 out of 5 stars Answers to worrisome questions brought up by some reviews
I read a lot of reviews before I decided to invest in these boots. I saw lots of good stuff and some worrisome things. I'll address the points I remember.

Calf size: my calves fit in these boots *exactly* (I got lucky, I guess). There was no squeezing of my calves and also not a bit of extra room. My calves are 40 cm / 15.75 inches around.

Boot...
Published 14 months ago by Lera

3.0 out of 5 stars cute but small shaft
Got the boots was really disappointed as the shaft size is much smaller than the style I previously order. Right now they are at the shoemaker to see if the shaft can be streched
Published on March 21, 2012 by jinky

5.0 out of 5 stars Answers to worrisome questions brought up by some reviews, July 9, 2013
Lera (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews

Boot height: I'm 5'8" tall. The boots came up to 2.25 inches beneath the bottom of the patella of my knee (the floating roundish bone) when sitting down, The boots are about 12.5 to 13 inches tall from the top of the bend in the foot. It's hard to get an exact measurement there, since it's just a gentle curve.

Boot size: I wear a US women's size 9.5 (medium width) usually. I got these in 9.5 and they fit exactly, while wearing a regular-thickness sock. I define regular thickness as more than those skinny dress/trouser socks and less than an athletic crew sock. The boots seemed neither wide nor narrow to my foot.

Zipper: The zipper was neither loose nor hard too pull. It took more to pull than a zipper on a backpack, but it did not feel overly difficult to pull. This felt like a good amount, since I don't want the zipper to come undone with a day of walking around. Although I won't need it in this case, here's a hiker's zipper tip for others out there: rub a little chapstick on a stiff zipper to lubricate and ease the pull.

Ankles: Some reviews described the area around ankles as "baggy." This was my biggest worry since I have pretty skinny ankles. The boots do NOT slouch around my ankles. They are not tight on my ankles, but they don't wrinkle or appear baggy. My ankles are 21 cm / 8.5 inches. There is air in there around my ankles, but the boots aren't slouchy.

Provenance: These boots are stamped "Made In Mexico" on the inside of the leather shafts.

Extra: There is an obvious snap closure at the top of the zipper that I knew about. I didn't realize that the bottom of the zipper is also covered with a similar protective/decorative leather tab and snap. This allows the zipper to go down even further and looks very nice. I originally thought it was just a decoration. Bonus!

I'm very pleased with the appearance, feel, style, and even smell of the boots. They are made of soft, thick leather. The stitches are straight, deep, and well done, the parts seem to be of high quality. The fit turned out to be excellent for me. They are just what I was looking for and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Take care, the leather bottoms of the boots are VERY slippery when new. Scuff up the soles a little when you first go outside!

I hope this review helps clear up some questions for others considering this particular style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful boot but calf width is incorrect., October 21, 2012
This is a beautiful, high quality boot. The leather seems of the highest quality and is very soft, making that stiff ankle feel of some boots non-existent with the Melissa Back-Zip. The footbed is very comfortable, I think I could walk in these boots all day. Unfortunately Amazon has stated the calf circumference incorrectly as 16 inches, it is actually under 15. I am very sad to have to return these boots as I need the wider calf over 15 inches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for! No thanks to Amazon's item description., December 16, 2013
Screwed (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I bought the other Melissa back zips twice, and neither fit as the item description described (listed as 16" calf circumference but really was less than 15"). I came across this product listing with all the negative reviews due to them being extended calf, but not listed as such. So I ordered these, hoping they were what I wanted, and the third time was the charm! I spoke to Amazon over the phone and they confirmed that the item description on the regular boots and these ones are both incorrect. They assured me it would be corrected. It's been over two weeks now, no correction, so I wanted to post this review to assure anyone looking for the extended calf would know these are it.

Fabulous boots. Beautiful thick luscious Frye leather. They aren't quite as narrow as the Melissa Buttons I have, which is a good thing. These were comfy right out of the box, no break in period needed. LOVE them! I ordered the black, they were smooth leather, no texture or pebbling (the regular calf ones I received had some slight pebbling, so thought it was worth mentioning the difference). I wear a size 9.5 and my calf is 15.75", these fit perfectly. Snug, but not tight. Room for jeggings/skinny jeans but also nice with tights/dresses.

3.0 out of 5 stars cute but small shaft, March 21, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality is TERRIBLE., October 22, 2013
I normally wear a size 7.5 or 8 and ordered a size 8 in the Grey Antique Back Zip boots. I have a very high arch and it was tough to squeeze my foot into the boot the first two days. Once the leather was a bit broken in through wearing for two days, the fit is perfect. My calves with skinny jeans are 14.5" and the fit is very snug.

Update: The quality is TERRIBLE! I only wore these boots for two days and the back zipper broke. Additionally, there is significant wear on the toes of the boots. My $25 boots from Kohls look better after two years than these boots look after two days.

Update (January 2014): My replacements sent for free via Amazon are marginally better quality. I should have returned them, but with the holidays I didn't get around to it so now I'm stuck with boots I don't wear. The back snaps do NOT stay snapped and are constantly clacking around when I walk. The sole wear is ridiculous for the amount of time they've actually been worn. I wish I could return them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied customer, December 17, 2013
Great boot, went with the slip on paige originally, but exchanged them for the Melissa zip due to stretching. Narrower fit through the ankle area. Only detractor is the "antique grey" is more of a chocolate brown than grey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous boots!!!, October 27, 2013
kgeegan (Lexington, KY USA) - See all my reviews
Love, love, LOVE this boot!!! A little snug to zip, but loosened a bit after wearing a few times. Can't go wrong with Frye boots, and this style/color is especially gorgeous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but Stretch, October 18, 2013
I'm typically an 8-8.5, ordered an 8.5 and when they first came in I could barely squeeze my fat foot in them and zip them up. After wearing around the house a couple nights they stretched out and now fit perfectly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Description is incorrect. This is Extended calf., October 10, 2013
I assumed the customer who said she received the extended calf version of this boot was just unlucky. Wrong, that is exactly what I received also.
The box is clearly marked "Extended calf" really would have been nice if that was in the product description as well. They have to go back, ugh!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality boot, runs a little big, September 25, 2013
I bought these boots in the antique grey, which is not at all grey but somewhere between brown and taupe. I wanted a warmer brown, but could not pass these up as the price for this color was considerably less. These are good quality boots with nice leather and a pretty plain design. I usually size between a 7.5 and an 8 and I ordered an 8. They were a tad too big and I had heel slippage, even with a medium-thick sock. So I am exchanging them for a 7.5 in hopes that they will fit better.

One criticism I have is that the boot shaft gaped around the top, which surprised me as so many other reviewers have said how narrow the shaft was. I have to say though that I have this problem with every tall/ knee high boot I have tried this season. I do not consider myself to have "skinny" calves. They are normal but in proportion to the rest of me (I'm 5'4", 115 lbs) and every boot I have tried on this season leaves a huge gaping void around the top. What gives?! In any event, due to the tapering of the shaft style in the Melissa back zips, the gaping is not as bad.

As for the shaft height, I did not find them too short, but I'm not that tall. Let's hope the 7 1/2 gives me a more snug fit. If so I will be a happy camper.

Rate and Discover Movies