on July 9, 2013
Size Name: 9.5 B(M) USColor Name: Dark Brown Smooth Vintage LeatherVerified Purchase
I read a lot of reviews before I decided to invest in these boots. I saw lots of good stuff and some worrisome things. I'll address the points I remember.

Calf size: my calves fit in these boots *exactly* (I got lucky, I guess). There was no squeezing of my calves and also not a bit of extra room. My calves are 40 cm / 15.75 inches around.

Boot height: I'm 5'8" tall. The boots came up to 2.25 inches beneath the bottom of the patella of my knee (the floating roundish bone) when sitting down, The boots are about 12.5 to 13 inches tall from the top of the bend in the foot. It's hard to get an exact measurement there, since it's just a gentle curve.

Boot size: I wear a US women's size 9.5 (medium width) usually. I got these in 9.5 and they fit exactly, while wearing a regular-thickness sock. I define regular thickness as more than those skinny dress/trouser socks and less than an athletic crew sock. The boots seemed neither wide nor narrow to my foot.

Zipper: The zipper was neither loose nor hard too pull. It took more to pull than a zipper on a backpack, but it did not feel overly difficult to pull. This felt like a good amount, since I don't want the zipper to come undone with a day of walking around. Although I won't need it in this case, here's a hiker's zipper tip for others out there: rub a little chapstick on a stiff zipper to lubricate and ease the pull.

Ankles: Some reviews described the area around ankles as "baggy." This was my biggest worry since I have pretty skinny ankles. The boots do NOT slouch around my ankles. They are not tight on my ankles, but they don't wrinkle or appear baggy. My ankles are 21 cm / 8.5 inches. There is air in there around my ankles, but the boots aren't slouchy.

Provenance: These boots are stamped "Made In Mexico" on the inside of the leather shafts.

Extra: There is an obvious snap closure at the top of the zipper that I knew about. I didn't realize that the bottom of the zipper is also covered with a similar protective/decorative leather tab and snap. This allows the zipper to go down even further and looks very nice. I originally thought it was just a decoration. Bonus!

I'm very pleased with the appearance, feel, style, and even smell of the boots. They are made of soft, thick leather. The stitches are straight, deep, and well done, the parts seem to be of high quality. The fit turned out to be excellent for me. They are just what I was looking for and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Take care, the leather bottoms of the boots are VERY slippery when new. Scuff up the soles a little when you first go outside!

I hope this review helps clear up some questions for others considering this particular style.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 21, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is a beautiful, high quality boot. The leather seems of the highest quality and is very soft, making that stiff ankle feel of some boots non-existent with the Melissa Back-Zip. The footbed is very comfortable, I think I could walk in these boots all day. Unfortunately Amazon has stated the calf circumference incorrectly as 16 inches, it is actually under 15. I am very sad to have to return these boots as I need the wider calf over 15 inches.
on October 22, 2013
Size Name: 8 B(M) USColor Name: Grey Antique Soft Full GrainVerified Purchase
I normally wear a size 7.5 or 8 and ordered a size 8 in the Grey Antique Back Zip boots. I have a very high arch and it was tough to squeeze my foot into the boot the first two days. Once the leather was a bit broken in through wearing for two days, the fit is perfect. My calves with skinny jeans are 14.5" and the fit is very snug.

Update: The quality is TERRIBLE! I only wore these boots for two days and the back zipper broke. Additionally, there is significant wear on the toes of the boots. My $25 boots from Kohls look better after two years than these boots look after two days.

Update (January 2014): My replacements sent for free via Amazon are marginally better quality. I should have returned them, but with the holidays I didn't get around to it so now I'm stuck with boots I don't wear. The back snaps do NOT stay snapped and are constantly clacking around when I walk. The sole wear is ridiculous for the amount of time they've actually been worn. I wish I could return them.
review image review image review image review image
on December 18, 2014
Size Name: 7.5 B(M) USColor Name: Dark Brown Smooth Vintage LeatherVerified Purchase
I ordered these boots for my daughter for Christmas. They arrived and I noticed the soles were worn. There was even dirt on one of them. This is unacceptable. I was not made aware I would be receiving used boots.
review image
on December 5, 2013
Size Name: 6 B(M) USColor Name: Black Antique Soft Full GrainVerified Purchase
I was super excited to get such a steal for these boots on Amazon: $261 with special Cyber Monday deals/sales versus the normal $368. But when I opened the box I was sent the wrong boots. They shipped the Melissa Harness Zip instead of the Melissa Back Zip. I was initially disappointed because I really want the Melissa Back Zip, but upon further inspection I started to feel like something was off and I didn't even want to receive the correct boots as a replacement.

Looking closer at the details of the boot I felt the workmanship of the boots was not as high as FRYE should be. The top section of the shaft on the Melissa Harness has a "cuff" of leather going around the whole thing. Viewing it from the back where the little hook is you could easily tell that one side was stitched higher than the other. If you compare it to the pictures of the Melissa Harness Zip on the actual FRYE website you see that it is even all around the boot. Loose threads were coming off from various places and the leather didn't feel right.

Needless to say, I'm returning and getting a refund (good thing Amazon is good about that!). I'll fork over the full $368 for the correct boots from a reputable merchant like Nordstrom or buy directly from FRYE.
on December 27, 2013
Size Name: 7 B(M) USColor Name: Dark Brown Antique Soft Full GrainVerified Purchase
I really love these boots. I was feeling guilty that I spent the money on them even though they were on sale. The price was still considerably more than I would usually spend on a pair of shoes for myself. I try to justify the splurge by wearing these boots at least once a week. This works out good because they really are comfortable once they are worn in. They look nice for casual and also dressed up a little with a dress. But... last night I was going out to dinner with friends and realized the zipper has ripped and is detached from the boot. Gasp!!! Oh my gosh I spent so much money on these boots! I cannot return/exchange since it has 5 months. I guess I will have to find a shoe repair business in my area and spend more MONEY to have them fixed. Also, the sole is peeling up the outside of the boot. It's noticable but on the inside of the boot. Oh well, live and learn.
on January 10, 2013
Verified Purchase
I loved the color and look of these boots, but the are definitely not 16" in circumferance. I measured them, and they're roughly 15".
on January 14, 2015
Size Name: 5.5 B(M) USColor Name: Black Antique Soft Full GrainVerified Purchase
I debated on these boots for a long while. I have the Phillip Harness boot and find them too heavy to wear with skirts but like Frye craftsmanship. I was looking for something a bit finer but still casual. I ordered the antique soft full grain and really like the texture of this leather. It is a much sleeker look compared to my Phillips Harness boots. I was hoping the ankle would be narrower for a nicer leg line, but they do not slough, fold or bag around the ankle so it looks fine. look great with skirts and skinny jeans. Versatile enough to be the one boot to bring on a trip. True to size, and very comfortable.
on March 22, 2012
Size Name: 8 B(M) USColor Name: Dark Brown Smooth Vintage LeatherVerified Purchase
Got the boots was really disappointed as the shaft size is much smaller than the style I previously order. Right now they are at the shoemaker to see if the shaft can be streched
on September 21, 2012
Verified Purchase
I own the short Frye Carson boots and they are my favorite pair of boots until now. I wanted a zip up flat knee-high rider style boots and tried on about 6 pairs before I decided on these Frye boots. I normally wear a size 6 and felt these were these boots fit true to size with a little room for socks. I'm 5'2" and have narrow calves. These boots were still able to zip up with ease around my skinny jeans and hit just 2 inches below my knees. They are fairly comfortable considering the sole is not manmade or rubber. I didn't have any problems with the buttons yet and compare to the other boots I've tried on Frye stood out in craftmanship and leather quality.